IGNORED

Attention Pac-Man Haters

phitter

Re: Pacman, I think what threw EVERYONE off were the Atari commercials that Pacman "was coming to Atari", and it showed the arcade version. So it blew up everyone's expectations that we'd at least get a closer proximity than we did..... Does that commercial exist on youtube at all? Anyone know? :?

Re: Asteroids: That was the FIRST thing I noticed about VCS Asteroids as a kid. That the rocks only went up and down!!! Of course the variations allow the small rocks to move diagonally but a lot of people just played the default game, so the up & down asteroids is what they got. Anyway yes for that reason I WAS disappointed for real, with Asteroids.. but I grew to like it once I got familiar with it.

Re: Space Invaders: I was a pure arcade rat as a kid so I was very good with arcade Space Invaders and could flip the score over several times without thinking. I actually think I could've given the current world record a run for the money.. that's how familiar I was and am with the game. In the late 70's and early 80's.. there was only playground talk of a mythical home version, and finding it was my quest. It was only when we traveled for vacation to California (from Guam) and saw it at a Sears.. yes I thought it wasn't like the arcade game. But you have to realize at that time seeing ANYTHING resembling it was such a revelation.. man I jumped on it. I loved that game even though I knew it was inferior to the arcade version, which I loved first. By the way, everyone saying 2600 Space Invaders is better than the arcade version is dead wrong. :lol: But that doesn't make it not good. :)

That reminds me of this clip from National Lampoon's Vacation:

• Like 1

Here is a song I find so out-of-date I cant stand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jFIYViVOQo

Those graphics in that video are so not early 1980s, it's not even funny. I've got the original Buckner & Garcia Pacman Fever LP on vinyl. Not a bad video game tribute album honestly. It's worth tracking down the original LP over the 1999 CD remake.

Never heard that one.. guess it was Australia only? In the states it was Uncle Vic. :)

I like this version way better than that first Space Invaders video. It would have fit right in if Buckner and Garcia had covered it on their Pacman Fever LP... ;-)

This whole topic gave me a terrible case of Pac-Man fever.

For the record I loved Pac-Man back in the day. Of course Ms. Pac-Man was a million times better. But who can forget that classic audio from the original Atari 2600 Pac-Man? It's burned into my brain forever. I can hear that chomping sound, and the classic death music even as I type this post.