IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 22: Air Raid

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

The city is under attack! Your squadron scrambles their planes for a counter-attack. It's all up to you to prevent the incoming bogeys from completely destroying the city!

Game Information

• Game Name: Air Raid
  • Released By: MenAVision
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 7
  • Chosen By: ResOGlas

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, September 28th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 36,225 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 8325 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 7850 (LarcenTyler) [+9]
  4. 4650 (vdub_bobby) [+8]
  5. 4025 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 3325 (atari2600land) [+6]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Secret Challenge! - If your score meets a certain criteria, you'll get an extra 1 bonus point! What's the criteria? It's a secret until the end of the week! (All scores that are even multiples of 3)
    • Rom Hunter, Deteacher, vdub_bobby [+1]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 16,425 (Rodrigo Lopes)
  2. 13,125 (Christian L Keilback)
  3. 7975 (Troy Whelan)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [216]
  2. keilbaca [172]
  3. SpiceWare [156]
  4. vdub_bobby [89]
  5. LarcenTyler [83]
  6. BrianC [78]
  7. Deteacher [77]
  8. shawnb [71]
  9. the 5th ghost [66]
  10. Malc74 [53]
  11. scogey [50]
  12. Cybergoth [42]
  13. theKLT [37]
  14. 128bytes [34]
  15. Jred [26]
  16. Christophero Sly [25]
  17. Goochman [24]
  18. doctorclu [22]
  • SeaGtGruff [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • phaxda [19]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • atari2600land [15]
  • Nathan Strum [12]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • shadow460 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Recycled [4]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
Scoring Points Air Raid
  • Shoot Plane or Helicopter: 25 Points
  • Shoot Green Saucer: 50 Points
  • Shoot Red Saucer: 100 Points
  • Bonus Ship awarded every 1000 Points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. Unfortunately, this game may not have ever even had a manual! In case you happen to have the manual (or a box for that matter), you may consider it the holy grail! (Also, please scan it for us)
Don't let the enemies shoot your buildings too much. If they get too low they'll just loop around (sort of) but their shots can damage your buildings. If a building is hit by an enemy shot, it decreases in size. If it takes too many hits, it's destroyed. The game ends if you lose all your ships or buildings.
Focus on keeping one building safe and let the other one be destroyed. It's pretty easy to stay on one side of the screen while your building is on the other. Enemy ships don't normally fire unless you are in their sights, so it's pretty easy to keep their shots away from your building.

If you've got the lives to spare and a shot is going to hit your building, take the bullet to protect the building. It doesn't take too long to gain that life back.

--Ze_ro

2375!

Playing this on the Emu isn't very good. The game slows down, forms ghost images, then will speed up to normal. It's very erratic. Is this an issue with Stella, or the ROM dump. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else know how to fix the issue (besides having an amazing stroke of luck and finding one by Thursday?) :) Thanks in advance.

post-9712-1158890550_thumb.jpg

It might be a problem with Stella, since Z26 seems to play it without the slowdown and graphical glitches (There are a few minor ones, although I suspect they might be in-game bugs.)

At any rate, here's the scoring info for the game:

Shoot Plane or Helicopter: 25 Points

Shoot Green Saucer: 50 Points

Shoot Red Saucer: 100 Points

Bonus Ship awarded every 1000 Points.

Also, don't let the enemies shoot your buildings too much. If they get too low they'll just loop around (sort of) but their shots can damage your buildings. If a building is hit by an enemy shot, it decreases in size. If it takes too many hits, it's destroyed. The game ends if you lose all your ships or buildings.

post-1653-1158891690_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

If this game had better hit detection, I probably would have got twice this score. If you find yourself yelling and cursing a blue streak at a game, then it's not really a game, it's an irritant. That's what this is. I've a long wait 'til next Thursday. I'm sorry, I just don't like this game.

8325. Playing it on Z26 is MUCH better! It's practically unplayable on Stella.

Here's my tip. Focus on keeping one building safe and let the other one be destroyed. It's pretty easy to stay on one side of the screen while your building is on the other. Enemy ships don't normally fire unless you are in their sights, so it's pretty easy to keep their shots away from your building.

If you've got the lives to spare and a shot is going to hit your building, take the bullet to protect the building. It doesn't take too long to gain that life back. :)

post-9712-1158976762_thumb.jpg

If this game had better hit detection, I probably would have got twice this score. If you find yourself yelling and cursing a blue streak at a game, then it's not really a game, it's an irritant. That's what this is. I've a long wait 'til next Thursday. I'm sorry, I just don't like this game.

Well, at least it's better than Space Jockey.

post-6203-1159014916_thumb.jpg

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

2375!

Playing this on the Emu isn't very good. The game slows down, forms ghost images, then will speed up to normal. It's very erratic. Is this an issue with Stella, or the ROM dump.

Confirmed that this ROM isn't working very well on the current CVS version of Stella. It seems to be a problem with the emulation itself, and not the speed of the computer (which is what I thought when slowdowns were mentioned). I tried it on an 800Mhz machine, and it never used more than 5% CPU time. We'll look into this for the next release.

Well, that's the end of this week's edition of the High Score Club. Kind of a slow week, but I guess that's what happens when you play the rarest game on the system :P Anyways, congratulations to everyone on their scores, and I hope you'll all join us again next time when we'll be taking a trip to the moon!

--Zero

He figured out how to get the good score :)

Time for me to play :ponder:

Too late...

8)

Yeah I have been extremely busy with a lot of stuff at work and home. Work gets me so drained I go home and pass out for a few hours, then I'm way behind for the things I want to do that day. Bleh.