IGNORED

Planet Bob - Even more problems...

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Ah, the challenge! :D

I ran into some more things making my port more and more complicated:

1. The game uses raster interrupts. Since I decided to make my port a 32K no-mapper game, this is something I have to analyse carefully. Of course there's workarounds for this. For example one can approximate the amount of cycles until a certain scannline is met. Or one can have an invisible sprite hitting an invisible background block at a certain scanline, I think the NES has an interrupt for this. Of course, once I find out what the C64 version uses them IRQs for, maybe the NES can solve that particular task without tricks anyway :)

2. The game creates some 4K worth of lookup tables, which I have to stuff into the ROM somewhere. It's also using 1K of the C64s internal charset ROM. I already dumped those 5K from a VICE savegame, but I really hope the rest of the ROM doesn't continue to get used up at this pace...

3. Selfmodifying code... ugh... there is a snippet within the initialization code of the game that overwrites stuff of the code that ran before it. I *think* it shall prevent some reset delay by disabling uneccessary copying jobs. Anyway, I have found me a good 6502 simulator by now, were I can execute this code and have a close look on what it'll do exactly :ponder:

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2073