IGNORED

Shannon's Blog - Random Thoughts (awecade)

RSS Bot

This is kinda the "thoughts" section of my "Quirks, Oddities, and Necessary Evils" entry. It was getting kinda big so I'm putting this here for now so I can tweak and trim it up as I feel. I did update it a little though so if you feel like it, give it a look. :P

If your like me, a shop class flunkee (you should see my attempts from that class) and grew up in the arcades pre-nintdoh!/Street Fighter decade. Your probably gonna like this machine. Everything is all set-up for ya and ready to go with a few notable exceptions missing *cough*pac-man*cough* etc. Nothing beats a game of centipede/millipede/missile command etc like a good trackball. Or even asteroids or tempest with the spinner.

I find that having real arcade controls really does make a difference. As much as I like emulation, arcade games tended to have more unique controls and do not translate well too a gamepad style controller. Sure the spinner does not have quite the weight the original tempest one did, but from what I understand no such thing is really available? :? That being said I'm also a tweaker by nature. I probably spend more time setting things up, configuring, and tweaking than I do actually using the thing. At some point I'm gonna "tweak" together my own hard drive to slap into this thing. I got my own thing in mind for that.

I certainly do not consider myself an expert by any means. I grew up in the era when arcade's ruled, but they are also vague memories and thoughts that I conjure up every now and then. One of the reasons I chose and awecade unit was because I knew the people involved had some record of getting a useable good quality product out at a cost effective price despite *cough*InfoAtari's*cough* efforts to ruin an otherwise good effort.

I've had my eyes on various units over the years but most of them seemed just out of my "cost" range that I could talk my significant other into. The awecade's unit seemed like my chance to have a dream come true. This is no cheapo Midway Games unit you'll find at Target. This is a very sturdy well built unit with high quality controls. In that regards I have to say I'm real happy with it. There are very few things I've purchased that I could say such about.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2085