IGNORED

X06 announcements

SomeGuyWithDSL

DOOM on Live Arcade as of right now with online multiplayer.

Halo Wars RTS under development by Ensemble Studios.

Peter Jackson teams up with MS to create new development house, announces involvement in upcoming title set in the Halo universe.

Several big upcoming games revealed to be exclusive or temporarily exclusive to the 360, with others having exclusive downloads or episodic content.

More.

Discuss.

:D

I really hope that Halo Wars isn't a real time strategy game. I'm really sick of those. If it's a massively multiplayer online first person shooter, it should be at least halfway decent.

I don't know, I think I'd take a quality console RTS with a large userbase over a MMOFPS right now. Battle for Middle Earth II was good, but it's already difficult to find an online opponent at times. Sales seem like they were somewhat poor because, well, it wasn't Halo. If someone can bring out a Halo RTS that's even remotely interesting, getting players should be no problem. Considering I haven't enjoyed a console RTS (prior to BfMEII) since Herzog Zwei, I think it's about time.

Now I'll also gladly stick around for an MMOFPS, too, but I don't mind seeing this one get some development time, especially from a house like Ensemble Studios that has made RTS hit after hit (Age of Empires 1, 2, 3, Age of Mythology).

What does concern me a litle from an RTS player's perspective is the factions involved in the Halo universe. HaloWars.com (the official site) mentions that the game "allows you to take charge of the human UNSC armies and see the Halo universe from a totally new perspective." What about multiplayer? Doesn't say, but I guess that would add in the Covenant as a playable faction, but I've never been a fan of RTS titles with just two factions (see Star Wars: Empire at War).

I must hope for Live multiplayer with up to four opposing players, which means at least two more factions to choose from. The Flood would be an obvious common enemy of Humans and Covenant alike, with the ability to infect and repurpose enemy units, but I can't think of a fourth faction ... I guess the Sentinels could perhaps be involved if the Flood are included, but neither seems likely since the game is supposedly set prior to the first Halo.

Maybe I just shouldn't get my hopes up. :)

Edited by SomeGuyWithDSL