IGNORED

Best Fighting Game

That's agains the computer though. The computer is dumb in most fighters, and can be dispatched by the weakest of players. I want you to find where the better players of say, Street Fighter Alpha 3 play in your area, go there, and go a few rounds. Then tell me how little skill is required.

I'd say that your friend sucks at Soul Calibur. Blame it on him, not the game. Soul Calibur is very deep and features loads of individual moves to master.

Any fighting game can be beat just by button mashing. Soul Calibur can be an amazing game against an intelligent opponent who knows the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Theres this game on PS/2 mabye on other systems too, by definition

its a "Fighter" ;) You dogfight in Jets. I can't remember the name :(

It takes loads more skill to judge speed and manouvering in a true 3-D

enviroment. And the visuals blew me away when I first saw it.

Against a skilled opponent you could be fighting for a long time without a kill :D

But if you're talking "Beat em up's" I'd have to say Bushido blade. Also

no place for button mashers.I basicaly like any game that rewards stratergy

and punishes button bashers ;)

I may be too old school for this thread, but my favorites are still Street Fighter II TE and Mortal Kombat 3. As nice as today's fighting games look (and as much as I enjoy any of the "Capcom vs" titles) I still think these games are the best mix of pure action, simple yet well presented graphics, and high replay value.

I've been playing a lot of Capcom Vs. SNK lately (Damn it takes a LONG time to unlock all that crap!!), and it's a surprisingly good game! I was never too into the King Of Fighters games, mostly due to the fact that there aren't as many of them in the arcades around here, and when they are, I have a hard time getting those weird-ass motions (db, hcb, df + P? What the hell is that??), but CVS has been a good "bridge" between the two. My only complaint is the lame "rolling" that every character can do, and the fact that Morrigan's sprites look awful compared to every other character. Damn, Rugal is classy...

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it yet (as I'm too lazy to look), but I was (and still am) a big fan of Samurai Shodown 2. Part 3 and 4 got a little weird (4 being much better than 3), and the damage levels got really out of wack, but with so many characters, and such variety, SS2 just kicked ass. Genjuro was always my favorite. I liked Moriya from Last Blade, but I just couldn't get into that game in the same way as SS2.

Plus, that boss at the end was really freakin' nasty!

--Zero

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Darkstalkers games. These were always among my favorites.

Anyways -

Favorite 2D fighters:

Night Warriors, SF Alpha 3, KOF Dream Bout 99

Favorite 3D fighters:

Soul Calibur, Battle Arena Toshinden, Virtua Figter 2

Soul Calibur, hands down. On Game Nights, that is a very popular game. Deals are made and broken over that one.

The argument about mashing holds true. But of course, if you employ some "rules" (cant keep using the same attack over and over and over), you are forced to be creative, using blocking, etc. Sort of like true martial arts; its not just punching, but being in control of the body/person. I am by no means a fighting game fan, but I recognize they are the "bridge" from the classics to the modern. They saved the video game industry more than any other single source, and sort of hold their own in my opinion for just that reason.

My other fav. fighters are:

Sailor Moon on 3D0

Eternal Champions on Sega CD (end of game animations are cool)

Godzilla King of Monsters GameCube

Cassidy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Darkstalkers games.

I didn't mind the Darkstalkers games all that much... the characters were cool, and the storyline was pretty awesome. My only complaint was the characters moves. Everyone was so unpredictable that you had to play the game thoroughly before you knew just what to expect from characters like Anakaris, with moves that could instantly hit you from almost a full screen away. It was like everyone in the game was Dhalsim or something.

Plus, I hardly ever saw it in the arcades around here. I occasionally fire up Vampire Saviour 2 in MAME, but it's just not the same.

One thing that I will say about the Darkstalkers games is that Felicia's stage where you fight on the side of a skyscraper is one of my favorite fighting game levels of all time. It's second only to that stage in X-Men vs. Street Fighter where you fight on a wooden bridge that eventually collapses and falls into a raging river.

--Zero