IGNORED

PS2 : Urban Legend ????

moycon

I dunno what the deal is with people saying the PS2 sucks for playing DVD's. First off who cares.. the games on it kick ass. I have a boxed Jaguar that has a $249.99 price tag on it from the early 90's that didnt play CDs much less movies. $199.99 for a PS2 that does play movies as a bonus is a bargin.

I have about 200 dvd's and have yet to come across one that it wont play. I use the PS2 exclusively in my living room, hooked up to wide-screen digital tv and the picture is just fine.

I did a search for a list of DVD's people are having trouble getting to play but came up empty.... You'd think if it were a huge issues it would be posted all over the web. I'd guess out of the 100,000 DVD's that are available, there are like 10 it has trouble with???? Everybody seems to have heard from so and so that the PS2 sucks to play DVDs on... I for one am here to say I'm perfectly happy with the PS2 as a DVD player and have even come across 2 movies my earliest DVD player (I have 3) won't play but the PS2 does just fine with.

Anybody agree or Disagree?? And which movies are people having trouble with exactly??? I'd love to go out and rent that movie and see the PS2 choke on it for myself.

I've played several DVDs on PS2s and have never had any problems. You have to remember that Sony had a lot of experience building DVD players well before the PS2 came out, so it's not like the PS2 was their first effort in this regard. People like complaining about things, so if they have even the slightest problem, they might whine loudly about it. Given that the PS2 was the first console to play DVDs, this feature was scrutinized quite heavily. I remember people comparing it to standalone DVD players, and reading about a few problems some people were having, but nothing major.

If you are going to watch lots of movies on your PS2, I recommend buying a remote. It's a pain using the PS2 controller.

..Al

There has been a DVD drive update from the first set that was launched that fixed that magority of problems that they first had. I even think if you buy the sony DVD kit it comes with a CD that will update the software on the PS2 (That is what I have been told from someone that bought the kit).

quote:

Originally posted by joshk:

There has been a DVD drive update from the first set that was launched that fixed that magority of problems that they first had. I even think if you buy the sony DVD kit it comes with a CD that will update the software on the PS2 (That is what I have been told from someone that bought the kit).

And according the the issue of PSM magazine I just received yesterday, Sony will be releasing a new set of DVD drivers shortly. I'm not sure how they're going to distribute it, but PSM hints it may be via discs sent out in the mail.

..Al

I've played many dvd's on the PS2. It works great with one exception I have come accross. For some reason while watching Tron it messed up. The sound was okay, but the picture was goofed up. However, this is the only problem I have run into with the PS2 playing dvds.

I know many of my friends use it as their main DVD player and no complaints from them.

quote:

Originally posted by FelixtheGamer:

I've played many dvd's on the PS2. It works great with one exception I have come accross. For some reason while watching Tron it messed up. The sound was okay, but the picture was goofed up. However, this is the only problem I have run into with the PS2 playing dvds.

I know many of my friends use it as their main DVD player and no complaints from them.

Same problem here with my copy of Tron!!!

I'm pretty upset about that..

It plays fine for about the first half of the movie... then half way thru chapter 8 ( i think) the screen is all scrambled up.

The disc plays fine on regular DVD players.

I tried it on a friends PS2 with the same results....

Anyone know if sonys updated drivers with their remote fix this Disney DVD bug?

ohh.. you can fast forward or even go back to the dvd's main menu and the screen is still

8-bit nintendo looking graphics looking..

This stinks!!!!

Anyone?? Idea's???

On numerous occasions I have had problems with my PS2 playing DVD's.

This is not due to the specific DVD's but the fact they are from blockbuster and not in the best shape. It will start playing some movies then get buggy and stop all together.

When I put it in my stand alone DVD player they would play fine.

This is the basis for my saying the PS2 is not a great DVD player.

But like you said, I did not buy it for the DVD feature, I bought it to play games.

Hmmm Malix might have a point. Alot of people are saying that the PS2 doesn't play alot of DVD's out there....but they so far haven't listed one it wont play. Perhaps the bad press is people renting DVD's and trying to play them on the PS2 are having issues...The same thing with the early regular DVD players. My boss had one and it was always screwing up if the DVD wasn't in pristine shape. I think it had something to do with a DVD player ability to adjust to adnormalities it encounters on a DVD....

Just like the early CD players especially walkman type CD players would skip like crazy... Now the CD players adjust and correct a skip before it gets to your earphones.

I myself haven't had issues with the PS2 because I rarely rent DVD's (Maybe 3 times) and Im careful with my collection... Altho I do buy alot used from Blockbusters so maybe that kills my therory.

Anyways like Malix said... I bought the PS2 for games and boy has it been delivering lately!!!!!!