IGNORED

One Wii little question....

RickHarrisMaine

Since the Wii will have NES, SNES, N64, and Sega games available at launch, would it be horrible to cancel out a few older things, sell them, and use the money for a new Nintendo Wii?

Because it looks pretty cool. Could the Wii become the ultimate retro-gaming machine?

Keep in mind that you'll have to buy those NES, SNES, etc. games on the Virtual Console once they become available. If you already have the games you like in cart format, I say keep 'em. I'm sure there will be plenty of other titles available on the Wii for purchase-and-download that you don't currently own, and those should be the ones to keep your money for.

Since the Wii will have NES, SNES, N64, and Sega games available at launch, would it be horrible to cancel out a few older things, sell them, and use the money for a new Nintendo Wii?

Because it looks pretty cool. Could the Wii become the ultimate retro-gaming machine?

Never sell a system ever; you'll always regret it.

NES games = $5

SNES games = $8

N64 games = $10

Sounds like a crappy rip off to me.

If the games were $1 each, I would buy 100 of my favorite games in a second.

At these prices though, I would keep the old stuff.

NES games = $5

SNES games = $8

N64 games = $10

Sounds like a crappy rip off to me.

If the games were $1 each, I would buy 100 of my favorite games in a second.

At these prices though, I would keep the old stuff.

Though I disagree with this fellow, keep the old stuff. :)

Anyway, I think the prices are fair. You have to consider that they have to re-program the controlls, etc, to make them work on the Wii. : /

Besides, some games (Chrono Trigger!) would be a lot cheaper to buy on VC.

It really depends on the user agreement and the portability of the roms.

If Nintendo allows the roms to be freely transfered for eternity and doesn't reserve the right to control your internal storage, then it may be a good deal.

If, however, Nintendo limits your rights to number of transfers or reserves the right to wipe your system, then it's not so great a deal.

For example, let's say Nintendo lets you download the game three times from their server for one payment. This is pretty standard with most downloads of this nature. Let's say you delete it willingly the first time, since you can just get it back. Your little brother then deletes it, causing you to download it a third time. Then your internal memory dies and when you get it repaired or get a new system Nintendo says "Nope. You've already downloaded it three times. You gotta pay up again if you want it." Or let's just say your system dies. Your download is most likely keyed to your original console's serial number, and Nintendo will make you pay again.

On the other hand, as long as you have that cartridge and can find original hardware, you're set. The cartridge doesn't have a preset limited number of uses, nor is it keyed to a specific console.

A virtual console isn't collectible.

I mean, it's great and all, but there's that "other" aspect that I think most people here focus on, and that's having original hardware. ;)

That's exactly it. I mean, playing an Odyssey 2 game and having the big ugly keyboard thing, with attached contollers, and carts with handles makes it as appealing and endearing as the thing is going to get. For stuff like the Genesis, camshell cases complete with manuals and stuff is really easy to find and it looks nice collected. And let's face it, even if you hate it like I do, having an NES toaster is necessary before you're allowed to be considered a videogame enthusiest.

It really depends on the user agreement and the portability of the roms.

If Nintendo allows the roms to be freely transfered for eternity and doesn't reserve the right to control your internal storage, then it may be a good deal.

If, however, Nintendo limits your rights to number of transfers or reserves the right to wipe your system, then it's not so great a deal.

For example, let's say Nintendo lets you download the game three times from their server for one payment. This is pretty standard with most downloads of this nature. Let's say you delete it willingly the first time, since you can just get it back. Your little brother then deletes it, causing you to download it a third time. Then your internal memory dies and when you get it repaired or get a new system Nintendo says "Nope. You've already downloaded it three times. You gotta pay up again if you want it." Or let's just say your system dies. Your download is most likely keyed to your original console's serial number, and Nintendo will make you pay again.

On the other hand, as long as you have that cartridge and can find original hardware, you're set. The cartridge doesn't have a preset limited number of uses, nor is it keyed to a specific console.

From what I understand, once you buy it, it's yours forever. You just have to re-download it if your system dies, or something.

From what I understand, once you buy it, it's yours forever. You just have to re-download it if your system dies, or something.

That would invite piracy. If you ask Nintendo for permission to redownload a game you previously bought, how does Nintendo know that you're not trying to download a copy for one of your friends? If Nintendo is serious about preventing people from sharing downloaded games, they'll have to enforce some kind of hardware ID-checking, which implies that if your Wii dies, you're pretty much out of luck.

That would invite piracy. If you ask Nintendo for permission to redownload a game you previously bought, how does Nintendo know that you're not trying to download a copy for one of your friends? If Nintendo is serious about preventing people from sharing downloaded games, they'll have to enforce some kind of hardware ID-checking, which implies that if your Wii dies, you're pretty much out of luck.

Xbox live knows who you are by your screen name.

Anything you downloaded and deleted, you can download again for free.

I am sure Wii will have the same type of setup.

You will need to set up an account to get the games (credit card, whatever).

As long as you use the same card or account name, you should be able to download the game over again.

Xbox live knows who you are by your screen name.

Anything you downloaded and deleted, you can download again for free.

Personally, I don't know for sure. I think it would be very odd if they didn't key it to the console. When I was signing up for my free Live account, I wasn't asked for a password or anything particularly identifying.

I guess one test would be to have your profile on a memory card, pay to download a game to your system, then take your memory card to a friends house, and then download the same game to his system under your profile. Try that and see what happens.

Also, what happens if you download a game and then try to transfer it via a USB memory storage device?

The downloads are tied to your gamer tag (or whatever they call it). Once you download something it is in a database showing all the items you've d-loaded before. You do have a Gamer Tag don't you?

With the Wii, I am wondering about transferring games on an SD card (I have tons of those) to take to a friend's place. Imagine taking a hundred or so games to a friends place in your coat pocket. That would be nice. Then again, Nintendo may not allow you to transfer dloaded software to the SD card. Who knows.. I'm sure more info will be revealed soon.

I'm just excited to hear that the Wavebird will work with the Wii. I wasn't sure if the received would be able to plug into the Wii's ports... has Nintendo even showed these ports?