IGNORED

Paranoid's Blog - INTV and Colecovision

RSS Bot

I recently got a batch of games from AtariAge, Colecovision and INTV... and, the INTV games really have impressed me. I picked up Pepper 2 and Mousetrap and Venture and Donkey Kong Jr. Donkey Kong Jr. actually seems to be a better version than the 5200/8 bit versions (which is surprising, because Donkey Kong for Coleco is so random and weird... not unenjoyable... just so radically bizzare)...

The only fault I can find is that the games seem fairly easy to me... and I remember that being one of their limits back in the day. The easy level was far to easy, the harder levels were far too hard... no good middle ground. But the game play on these titles is great. I'm wondering if Mousetrap and Pepper 2 made it to any other platforms. I don't think so...

On the INTV, I picked up Frogger, Donkey Kong, Demon Attack and Atlantis. Mostly out of Curiosity. These are titles that I pretty much have on nearly every retro console. Frogger is on EVERYTHING. Donkey Kong on NEARLY everything, and Demon and Attack and Atlantis are available on the real important consoles... so...

Weird, the INTV versions. Demon Attack isn't really even the same game, to me. I've heard people talk about the background, and the waves, and the mother ship... I haven't gotten that far (I guess I should put some more time into it)... but, basically from what I've played, it has little in common with the Atari 8 bit and 2600 versions other than the name.

Atlantis is pretty cool, and has a far more Missile Command knock-off feel to it.

Frogger seemed strange, although still mostly Frogger... and Donkey Kong must be one of the most *interesting* versions out there. It just looks SO odd. Even the 2600 version looks more faithful to the original... It plays and feels like Donkey Kong... mostly... but you can certainly feel the INTV influence going on there... making it a unique version among all others. Makes me feel sorry for the kids who were stuck with an INTV during this period... when all the cool titles were starting to come out cross platform... and INTV was getting it's own versions... but they still had that whole INTV oddness around them anyhow...

Not that the INTV versions are horrible. They're just *weird*.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2112