IGNORED

Using Other Media on your PS2/XBOX

rorysl

I only recently picked up a new PS2 and a used Xbox and I had some questions regarding media. I've heard rumours that using either system as a DVD player may damage the laser/knock it out of sync. Any truth to this? Do people on here choose to use a regular DVD player rather than take the risk with their consoles? And, if so, what about DVD media vs. Audio CD's -- does one put more strain on your gaming console than another?

I've heard rumours that using either system as a DVD player may damage the laser/knock it out of sync. Any truth to this?

Not really. Remember the games are on DVDs to start with.

It's all generated by people trying to find excuses for the PS2's high failure rate other than "Sony uses crap parts."

Do people on here choose to use a regular DVD player rather than take the risk with their consoles?

I'd use the standalone player because it's better.

PS2's DVD player software is well-known for being pretty bad.

And, if so, what about DVD media vs. Audio CD's -- does one put more strain on your gaming console than another?

Not really. Again, generated by people trying to excuse Sony's high failure rate.

And if there WERE a media issue, you'd have to give up some PS2 games as they ship on both forms of disk.

Useing your game system as a DVD player is probably the least strenuious thing you can do to it, the head doesn't have to violently shift from one part of the disc to another part regularly, and it's running at only 1 speed. At the rate, if you ran your game console as a DVD player, you should expect to be able to use it for 5 years NON STOP befor haveing a reasonable expectancy of a failure. After all, they ARE dvd players, there just set up more with gameing in mind than DVD playing.

The PS2's just built out of shoddy parts. And that's where most of it's problems come from.

I don't use a regular DVD player, cause it's simply not as reliable for the most part...however, the PS2 seems to be glitchy on many DVD's, and will inexplicably display garbage on some movies. And the X-Box seems to not handle, say compilation discs (like cartoon series with 10 episodes per discs) very well, and I use a regular player for those, but mostly, I use my X-Box exclusively for a DVD player.

As for straining your console useing DVD's or CD's I still don't see either as a problem. And in the case of PS2, some software is on DVD's and some is actually on CD's so it shouldn't be a problem either way.

Older PS2s seem to have issues with playing movie DVDs after a while. The newer slim ones, Xboxes and Xbox 360s seem to be up to the task a lot better. Also even on newer PS2s the laser works more reading CDs whether factory pressed or burned CD-R. Burned DVDs may work it a little more too, but not as bad as burned CDs.

Cool guys! Thanks for the replies. I have to admit, I couldn't see playing DVD's being a problem -- but you know how rumours are! The only thing I find annoying about playing DVD's on my PS2 is the fact that if the disc has a high rating (maybe PG-13 and up?) the player asks me everytime if I'll let the disc play or not by updating the security rating or some crap, but never retains the setting. Ah well -- maybe I just need to take a closer look at the console/manual! In any case, thanks tons!

Cool guys! Thanks for the replies. I have to admit, I couldn't see playing DVD's being a problem -- but you know how rumours are! The only thing I find annoying about playing DVD's on my PS2 is the fact that if the disc has a high rating (maybe PG-13 and up?) the player asks me everytime if I'll let the disc play or not by updating the security rating or some crap, but never retains the setting. Ah well -- maybe I just need to take a closer look at the console/manual! In any case, thanks tons!

NP.Glad I could help! :thumbsup: