IGNORED

Wii Virtual Console Region Locked Too

CPUWIZ

Does this surprise anyone?

I can understand the discs, but why can't you download games from Japan's servers for instance, who cares if you pay here or there?

There are regional politics and IP laws to be adhered to. You should know that.

Personally, I'm waiting to hear more about the security on individual virtual console rom files. I imagine it will be impressively paranoid.

Does this surprise anyone?

I can understand the discs, but why can't you download games from Japan's servers for instance, who cares if you pay here or there?

There are regional politics and IP laws to be adhered to. You should know that.

Not to mention the localisation nightmares. This console has to be easy to use remember. You can't have people mistakenly downloading the Japanese version of a game, say Zelda 2, only to find out they don't understand the text in any way, then wanting a refund because they meant to download the local version.

Considering all the new users that are projected to use the machine and the fact that for most players this will be the first time they've downloaded games, overcomplicating things is not a good idea, even if a few savvy import gaming geeks don't like it

The reason why I am surprised about the whole region lock decision, is the fact that it is the last argument that modchip makers have in court. Sony and Microsoft can now pretty much kill anyone in court, if they sell modchips anywhere, which they couldn't easily do until now.

The reason why I am surprised about the whole region lock decision, is the fact that it is the last argument that modchip makers have in court. Sony and Microsoft can now pretty much kill anyone in court, if they sell modchips anywhere, which they couldn't easily do until now.

Nintendo's had a lot less piracy issues, though.

The GameCube went uncracked for most of it's life.

Region mods for the 'Cube are also very easy and don't require extra silicon. If the Wii follows this path, Nintendo still has an angle of attack on modchips.

Call me slow, but what legal recourse do console manufacturers have with mod chip makers? If I buy a piece of equipment, I can do whatever I want with it. If I buy a PS3 and convert it to run all of my appliances, aren't I able to do so? And if someone makes a chip to help me out, why can't they?

Same thing concerning a mod chip to run games on. The warranty may be void, but I can install a mod chip in MY console. And if someone makes chips to help me out, oh well. I purchased the equipment, not leased it. A mod chip can be used to run emulators and homebrews, not just pirated games. I would think that would be the legal out for chip manufacturers. A top notch lawyer can find loopholes anywhere.

Since the Gamecube has been cracked and the Wii closely resembles the Gamecube (hardware wise), I would think that the Wii will be the first to be totally cracked this generation.

Another thought. Aren't the software developers for the PS3 and XBox 360 free to add region lock to their products? If that is true, then mod chip manufacturers have an even better case.

Edited by MCHufnagel

MC, ever read the FCC wasrnings on electronics? It says that if you use the device for anything other than it was intended for, its a crime

I'm looking at the back of my DS right now and this is what it says:

"This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules and with Industry Canada RSS-210. Operation is subject to the following conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

Nothing in there saying I can't modify it for another use.

Call me slow, but what legal recourse do console manufacturers have with mod chip makers? If I buy a piece of equipment, I can do whatever I want with it. If I buy a PS3 and convert it to run all of my appliances, aren't I able to do so? And if someone makes a chip to help me out, why can't they?

Actually, no, you can't. Your representatives in Congress and the Senate have sold you out. Google "DMCA" or better yet, read the EFF's page about it (here), join the EFF, then send your rep & senators a letter (or a bag of poop, if you like).

Actually, no, you can't. Your representatives in Congress and the Senate have sold you out. Google "DMCA" or better yet, read the EFF's page about it (here), join the EFF, then send your rep & senators a letter (or a bag of poop, if you like).

An interesting site. At least, from the examples given, the defendants can win. But I'm sure the legal expensives are crushing.

Who says that won't happen now?

Because the initial article (until Nintendo says it's actually wrong) I've read states that each region gets the actual versions that were originally released in that region. So for example, Europe would actually get to download Starwing (not Starfox) and Street Gangs (not River City Ransom). Hence there's the potential for a lot of 50Hz unoptimised gaming crap in our region to come if that's the result!

Following that, it would mean only games ever released in each region previously would be available to each region.

Until such time, that it may change so that whilst us in Europe could only download games available in the Europe VC, Nintendo might actually put some of the "foreign" releases there as well. At the moment it sounds like anyone in Europe would not be able to access the US or Japanese VC. And we already know the US VC is getting more titles at launch than Europe, perpetuating this inequality and setup assumption.

Same thing concerning a mod chip to run games on. The warranty may be void, but I can install a mod chip in MY console. And if someone makes chips to help me out, oh well. I purchased the equipment, not leased it. A mod chip can be used to run emulators and homebrews, not just pirated games. I would think that would be the legal out for chip manufacturers. A top notch lawyer can find loopholes anywhere.

Court cases aren't tried purely on law.

The judge isn't going to be near as sympathetic to "I wanna play these homebrew games" as he is to "that bastard installed a piracy tool!" They UNDERSTAND software piracy, but don't really get software development.

Large corporations can also afford more and better lawyers than you, making it easier for them to win what's more a battle of image than law.

Since the Gamecube has been cracked and the Wii closely resembles the Gamecube (hardware wise), I would think that the Wii will be the first to be totally cracked this generation.

Nintendo's probably using a diffrent encryption scheme AND closing the hole the hackers used to break the last scheme.

Call this a HUGE assumption on my part would you not have to download these roms via some sort of computer then say transfer them to say a flash card so they can be played on the Wii's VC. Saying, if that is true could not a hack be found to by pass that region lock?

Very huge assumption.

Think more like XBox Live Arcade. Downloads straight to the system.

DMCA is messy and self-contradictory, really.

So it boils down to who gets the judge on their side.

I guess this means no sin and punishment or rondo of blood, ever.

Maybe.

It's possible they'll expend effort to localize some stuff.

Let's be honest, Rondo is still on the most-wanted lists years after original release, and all it needs is a dub job.

The judge isn't going to be near as sympathetic to "I wanna play these homebrew games" as he is to "that bastard installed a piracy tool!" They UNDERSTAND software piracy, but don't really get software development.

This may be true, but if a lawyer can convince a jury that the large corporation is taking away their rights or being a bully, then that large corporation can lose. A judge will overturn an unusally large penalty, but they rarely overturn the jury's decision itself.

This may be true, but if a lawyer can convince a jury that the large corporation is taking away their rights or being a bully, then that large corporation can lose. A judge will overturn an unusally large penalty, but they rarely overturn the jury's decision itself.

But the jury doesn't see it that way, and the lawyers that could convince them otherwise are the expensive ones the game company hired.

And yah, I should've said jury.

I was thinking about the LikSang GBA flash cart suit, which was the HK legal system. I gather that was decided by judge.

But it's like the Australia thing where MS threw a fit over modchips.

That didn't come out on "our" side because of homebrew.

It was because the australian game market sucks, making import gaming pretty much a requirement to get your money's worth out of a game system.

Edited by JB

Yes, yes you can. Are you supposed to, no. But it is mine, and I will do with it what I please.

They can take my soldering iron when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :twisted:

Tim :)

Yes, yes you can. Are you supposed to, no. But it is mine, and I will do with it what I please.

They can take my soldering iron when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :twisted:

Sadly in America, that's not necessarily the case. Thanks to the DMCA as soon as you have taken any effort to bypass a copy protection/encryption scheme, for any reason, you are a criminal. :|