IGNORED

Planet Bob - To map or not to map?

RSS Bot

Hi there!

So, in previous discussions some guys (bros ;) ) told me how much of an experience I've been missing for never having mapped a dungeon.

Well, despite me failing miserably at a previous attempt of playing the NES version of The Bard's Tale, I picked it up again a few days ago, really trying to get into it this time. I even found a solution for one of my gripes back then: The game sorta has an escapipe, in form of a special bard song you can play, which'll bring you straight home to the Adventurer's Guild.

I still think there's severe flaws in the game. It seems drastically unbalanced. I have level 12-13 characters now, but still a dead or "stoned" character will force me out of a dungeon into a temple. With my fighters having around 200 Hitpoints now, it also seems ridiculous that the best mid-combat heal spell available will gain around 20 points - especially when a single enemy attack can drain 40-50 points in the dungeon I'm playing right now :ponder:

Also it's so incredibly purest hack'n'slay... there's very few story bits, it's almost just monster battles. There's like 1-2 "magic mouth" scenes in an entire dungeon level of 16*16 squares, up and down stairs - that's it...

Still, I decided to beat it now. At least up to where I am now. Because right at this point where I am, I'm leaving "mapped land", i.e. nowhere on the internet did I find any maps going beyond the catacombs dungeons... :-o

To go on, I'd be forced to draw maps on my own :-o:-o:-o

Anyway, the story so far: Basically after some 20 hours into the game, I made my way through 4 dungeons: Wine Cellar, Sewers, Catacombs levels 1 & 2.

The only interesting thing happening so far, was this dead body in the Sewers:

snap000.gif

(Not my picture, I forgot to take one at this point, being caught off guard when finally *something* happened :sad: )

I found some proof there, that I'm a "heretic", so I could then enter the catacombs through some evil temple. Nothing special to report from there. I found a crypt there packed with dozens of zombies, but that's it so far :)

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2127