IGNORED

IRC chat on #Atari Tonight!

doctorclu

You've requested it, you've begged, and so someone opened a IRC channel, and some of us last Tuesday during the chat tried out the IRC Atari channel.

And we will be there again tonight!!

The location is IRC= irc.openirc.net/#atari

Will be starting at 8 pm CST and going till... whenever!!

See you there!!

"But how can I get there with an Atari computer?"

I'm glad you asked. :)

telnet to...

telnet.familynet-international.net

once there...

"chat" & "G"

then ...

/ircjoin irc.openirc.net

then /j %#atari

Been on numerous times with the Atari 800. ;)

Edited by doctorclu

This dummy managed to log in but I could not read any messages.

I was informed that I was "flooding",so rather than upset the other users,

I logged out.

Maybe next time will be better!

Flooding? Just ignore that. Keep trying. :)

OK, for all you old schoolers who are "stuck in BBS mode" and know nothing about IRC...

Here is how to do it from your PC...

1) go to MIRC Homepage

2) click on the DOWNLOAD link.

3) select an appropriate mirror site to download the MIRC software from (doesnt matter which one, actually)

4) save it to your desktop.

5) after the download completes, doubleclick the installation icon.

6) agree to the shareware terms, and click NEXT a bunch of times.

7) run MIRC (an icon will have been placed on your desktop during installation)

8 ) enter your full name, email adress, handle, alternate handle (in case someone is already using that handle on an IRC server), etc.

9) click OK...

10) click on the text entry box at the bottom of the main MIRC window and type the following:

/server irc.openirc.net

11) at this point, you will see a bunch of server messages scroll by, as it connects to the IRC network. when it is done, a popup window (channel favorites) box will appear..

12) close this box, and click on the text entry box at the bottom of the main MIRC window again, and type the following:

/join #atari.

THATS IT!!!

You can now publicly chat with all the users in the channel.. Double click the name of a user on the right, to open a PRIVATE dialog box with them. You can even directly exchange files with them by using the options in the menus.

There is a virtually unlimited scrollback buffer (set the size in the program options.) So you dont miss conversations if you have to leave the computer for a while..

IRC has been the definitive internet chat standard for over 10 years, and is the ONLY way to host a QUALITY chatroom in my opinnion.

I am leaving one machine in this chatroom 24-7...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

THATS IT!!!

You can now publicly chat with all the users in the channel.. Double click the name of a user on the right, to open a PRIVATE dialog box with them. You can even directly exchange files with them by using the options in the menus.

There is a virtually unlimited scrollback buffer (set the size in the program options.) So you dont miss conversations if you have to leave the computer for a while..

IRC has been the definitive internet chat standard for over 10 years, and is the ONLY way to host a QUALITY chatroom in my opinnion.

I am leaving one machine in this chatroom 24-7...

Yep, fairly easy from the Win/Linux boxes, Macs etc.

What I was suggesting was how to get there with the less than 16 bit computers that some of us like using to get to some of these chats. Sorry if my instructions seemed complicated, however getting to IRC through a shell/BBS like the Family-Net is the only way I know of so far.

Open to other suggestions.

As far as "quality chats" go, that is a matter of opinion.

Yep, fairly easy from the Win/Linux boxes, Macs etc.

What I was suggesting was how to get there with the less than 16 bit computers that some of us like using to get to some of these chats. Sorry if my instructions seemed complicated, however getting to IRC through a shell/BBS like the Family-Net is the only way I know of so far.

Open to other suggestions.

As far as "quality chats" go, that is a matter of opinion.

Hi doctor

Id like to try to get in via Atari 800

What software on the 800 would I use?

I have an sio2pc adapter

and cable and already use it for file transfer

and what pc software (use tcpserv by Jim Brain and bbsserv by Jeff Ledger) toget on telnet and Qlink with a c64

also have a Lantronix serial to ethernet adapter uds10 any info on using that with Atari 800?

Sorry for all the questions I already can do alot online with C= stuff bt want t get my ol 800 on

Mike

Hi doctor

Id like to try to get in via Atari 800

What software on the 800 would I use?

I have an sio2pc adapter

and cable and already use it for file transfer

and what pc software (use tcpserv by Jim Brain and bbsserv by Jeff Ledger) toget on telnet and Qlink with a c64

also have a Lantronix serial to ethernet adapter uds10 any info on using that with Atari 800?

Sorry for all the questions I already can do alot online with C= stuff bt want t get my ol 800 on

Mike

Hey Mike, always happy to help another 8-bit user and especially beige 800 ones. :)

What I used to get online was the 800, pulled up Flickerterm, though Ice-T would work as well.

I used a BBS called the Family-Net BBS...

http://www.familynet-international.org/

And to use that you can telnet to...

telnet://telnet.familynet-international.net

The IP address on this one has been changing lately, so if you want to use a lantronix, you will need to ping it with another computer.

Once on the Family-Net...

"chat" & "G"

then ...

/ircjoin irc.openirc.net

then /j %#atari

The Family-Net is just one of many BBS and shell accounts out there that the Atari can telnet to. It is just that the Family-BBS is the first one I have found that had IRC support. I would love to hear of more places that support IRC, and if someone supported Jabber (the client that allows Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ect), now that would definately be awesome. ;)

FYI - due to apparent instabilities with irc.openirc.net, we're moving to irc.newnet.net. Same channel.

Come join us. We'll be on in two places this evening.

telnet access at atarinews.org

IRC chat at irc.newnet.net #atari

Stephen Anderson

What I used to get online was the 800, pulled up Flickerterm, though Ice-T would work as well.

Might wanna include the fact that your 800 has been converted into a 130xe... And ICE-T is not gonna run on a stock 800..

I don't know if flicker term will or wont work on a stock 800, but what flicker term will do is give you a splitting headache after trying to read 80 column text in a 3x7 font on a TV screen, and having the color palette "flickered" at high contrast about 30 times a second.

I'd reccomend BoBterm or if you must have 80 columns, theres a program out there called TERM80 which will run on a stock ATARI and doesnt flicker the screen..

Also, if you have an XEP80, BoBterm works fine with it.. And that 80 column mode is nice and easy to read.