IGNORED

Nerd Wars

rorysl

Ok, after a great suggestion by Atarifever I'm starting a new thread based on the last few posts in the ValueVillage thread re: Nerd Wars. Nerd Wars is a term I use to describe what happens when collector's meet in a thrift store, flea market etc. and their interaction. Specifically, when two people want the same classic gaming item. I'm repeating my story below and I've quoted Atarifever's to include it. Anybody else have any funny stories? Here's mine...

I went into my local Value Village about a year and a half ago and headed (as I always do) to the electronics section. As I wandered up the aisle I spotted a young couple walking purposely towards the same section, cutting in front of me from a clothing aisle. Now, I've noticed that people walking with purpose in any store know where they're going and what they're looking for. As I approached the electronics section that they had allready made their way to I watched the guy pick up an N64 -- the price on the console $7.99. Now, before I go any further, I only ever played and enjoyed two N64 games (as I didn't own one myself when the system was in it's heydey) -- Shadows of the Empire and Pefect Dark -- which I both loved. As well, I had never seen an N64 in the wild before and hadn't bothered to take note of the price of a second-hand system in places like EB Games or Microplay so I figured $7.99 was an excellent price. But this guy had nabbed it first!

And thus the Nerd War began.

I stood casually staring at the racks of cables (which VV always sells separate from the systems so you have to make, like, four separate purchases to have a complete, working console) listening to their conversation. They were humming and haw-ing over whether or not they should make the purchase. The girl states, rightly so, that the console doesn't have any of the cables. My eyes suddenly come to focus on the rack in front of me that holds the N64 AV cable in a back -- I quickly (and this is the most embarassing part of the story) take it and throw it behind an old TV so they won't find it. I've felt bad about that ever since -- why couldn't I have sucked it up and, like a gentleman, handed the cable to my arch-nemesis in this Nerd War? But no, I had to ensure the purchase for myself. He promptly responded to his girlfriend that he could pick up the cables anywhere. Damn. She says, "Why don't you carry it around with you while we shop and decide before we check-out."

What follows is me following them. All around the store. At a discreet distance, of course. Casually looking at clothing, teddy bears, reader's digests and records and 8-tracks. And as they come into my view, around the corner from the toy aisle I see that he has given up his prey -- the N64 is no longer on his person! They must have dumped it in the kiddie aisle. A quick glance confirms my suspician's.

Now....I'm feeling bad about tossing the cable and I certainly don't want to wander up and grab the N64 from where he just dropped it and race past him to the check-out, rubbing his face in the defeat. I have more battlefield manners than that. I wander a bit, waiting for them to leave, so as not to hurt feelings when I collect my reward. Finally, it is getting late and I have to get going so I must toss manners and mores out the window. My hands reach for the N64, grasp it's smooth plastic casing and lift it in victory.

At which point I hear the guts of the console sliding uselessly back and forth inside the case -- the N64 was destroyed before either of us laid a finger on it.

This was a Nerd War that nobody won.

Here's Atarifever's tale...

I ran from the local Savation Army to Value Village one day to race a guy who buys stuff to sell to the flea market. He was in car and I wasn't, and it's a half mile or so, all uphill, between the two places. I knew all those road races would pay off someday; and here I was thinking the physical activity was just something I did to pass time between games of Halo. He recognized me in the Thrift store and raced me to the electronics, so before he started to waddle (trust me, waddle is an understatement) to the door I ran out and up to Value Village. Of course, when I got there it was a bust anyway (and I was breathing pretty hard), but I was still pretty happy when I walked past him coming in when I was on the way out.

On the other side, I did everything I could one week to convince another geek at the flea market to buy an Intellivision with some boxed games. He was talking it over with the guy at the table and I kept throwing in my two cents about how good of a deal it was (which it kind of was). I needed him to buy it, because my fiancee wanted me to slow down the collecting a bit at the time, and I knew I'd be powerless not to buy it if he didn't.

By the way, this should be a seperate topic to make sure as many peope as possible see it. There must be tons of collecter nerd wars of some kind or other everyday. I live in the exact classic gaming centre of this city, so I'm surprised I don't have a nerd war a day.

So here's your chance to post your funny Nerd War stories, people!

Nerd wars loom ever present at my favorite flea market where I'm one of at least 3 "video game guys". Being the diplomat I've introduced myself to them and had both over to trademeets but its still dog-eat-dog. The other two guys are eBay sellers first and collectors second so they tend to go jawa on anything game related. Me I'm strictly a cheapskate collector so I tend to lowball and leave a lot of things, with these guys around though the sellers have been conditioned to drive harder bargins. Its sort of poisoned the well for everyone since there are a lot less deals and a lot more $50 nintendos...

One of the guys is like 6'2 with poofy hair so I can spot him over the crowds and head in the other direction, we tend to start from different ends. I love it when I spy a big box of records because I know he's a LP guy and he'll have to to kneel and flip thru them for like 15 minutes.

:lol: :lol: Hilarious title! I thought at first you talking about my high school where one primo "melvin" took offence to someone's mockery of his dungeons and dragons character - lost his temper- and stabbed the guy in the back with a plastic fork (to no effect!)

So:..................

I was at one of those outdoor flea markets with my fiancee' and just finished buying an NES system and about 25 games for $20. I really only wanted six or seven of the games but the vendor insisted on me taking them all. There was tons of people milling around the tables but I didn't pay attention to them. Just as I'm about to leave this pasty looking guy with acne says "What you are taking them all?" I'm like "Excuse me?". He says "You're not leaving any for anyone else". I'm just about to say "Stupid A*s, I just bought them all, can't you hear????" when the vendor says "Sorry I wanted to sell the whole thing". The pasty guy then says to the vendor "You were supposed to keep these for me" to which the vendor replies "Hey he had the cash ready". The pasty guy turns beat red and SCREAMS at the guy "F*CK YOU, I'm never buying from you again !!!!!". With this about a dozen people stop mid-step and begin staring at this baby's temper tantrum. The pasty guy's fists clench up for a moment and for a second he must have thought about striking me and/or the vendor. (which would have been interesting since my fiancee' teaches self defence and knows some rather cruel tricks) The guy storms off not to be seen again. The vendor just shakes his head, and explains that he had routinely been putting aside stuff just for this guy but the guy owed him over $65 and he needed to pay his "stall" rental at the market.

So began a very awesome relationship with this vendor, one that continues to this day - and no I haven't seen the irate nerd since.

Has anyone ever purposely done things like walk around with a box of prototypes or anything else to purposely frustrate others ???

Good Day----Lance M.

I had a fight with some guy who wanted the atari 2600 I was ready to buy. I ended up winning since I already had the system and games in my hands.

also, I had bought final Fantasy 3 for the snes one day at the flea market, and some guy offered the vendor double what I paid, so he could have it. I ran away, just in case he agreed.

Edited by Tompkins

That's hilarious! I can't believe the pasty guy actually screamed! Did he start to make a fist like Michael J. Fox's father from Back to the Future? Curling fingers around thumbs ready to punch Biff out?

BTW, I only just realized that Atarifever is from Newfoundland, as am I. And let me tell you to run from that Salvation Army up to the Value Village and beat a guy driving is a BIG feat!

BTW, I only just realized that Atarifever is from Newfoundland, as am I. And let me tell you to run from that Salvation Army up to the Value Village and beat a guy driving is a BIG feat!

:) Thanks, I was pretty proud of it. I wouldn't do it anymore though, as the VV isn't worth the run. Great to know there's another Newfoundlander on the boards, really raises the level of the room. :cool:

also, I had bought final Fantasy 3 for the snes one day at the flea market, and some guy offered the vendor double what I paid, so he could have it. I ran away, just in case he agreed.

I'd have offered it to him for 5 times whatever you paid (as long as you paid a fair price and didn't get a great deal).

<snip>

also, I had bought final Fantasy 3 for the snes one day at the flea market, and some guy offered the vendor double what I paid, so he could have it. <snip>

This exact thing happened to me too. The game was ColecoVision Mr. Do's Castle..... I just finished paying the flea market guy $ 5.00, and strolled away when these two guys offered to pay me $ 10.00 for the game..... I told them thanks for the offer but it was one I'd been trying to find for a long time *by the way I have an extra one avail. now for trade..... The one asked if I was out looking for Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy, I told them I wasn't looking for RPGs....they asked me what "RPGs" were so I think they had memorized the name of some high value games and were probably looking to make a fast buck.

I ran away, just in case he agreed.

You were smart to take off. If you get a great deal on something, don't wait around for someone to change their mind. This REALLY applies to those big rummage sales where there are multiple "attendants".

I ran away, just in case he agreed.

You were smart to take off. If you get a great deal on something, don't wait around for someone to change their mind. This REALLY applies to those big rummage sales where there are multiple "attendants".

I got it for 10 dollars, which is really good deal, since the game goes for alot on ebay.

That's hilarious! I can't believe the pasty guy actually screamed! Did he start to make a fist like Michael J. Fox's father from Back to the Future? Curling fingers around thumbs ready to punch Biff out?

Sorry did not see / can't remember the movie.

He looked more frustrated than threatening. Poeple were actually laughing out loud at the guy as he left - really pathetic scene

Tomkins didnt you have a fight over a 2600? :lolblue::lolblue:

Sorry did not see / can't remember the movie.

He looked more frustrated than threatening. Poeple were actually laughing out loud at the guy as he left - really pathetic scene

Tomkins didnt you have a fight over a 2600? :lolblue::lolblue:

Yep.

Never actually ran into another "nerd", in fact the people that worked at the video place that actually carried old console stuff would look at me strange. It was like I was the only person interested in pre PS1/Nintendo stuff.

I kinda stopped because I had already spent a fair amount on systems but I think they eventually resorted to just selling the older stuff on ebay.

But there was this one guy (never ran into him) that apparently was going around and buying up all copies (from retail stores) of certain "soccer mom" titles. You know, stuff like "Madagascar, or Shrek" etc. I figured he was either trying to create a "demand" and selling at the local flea market or ebaying them off.

Actually now that I think about it. I did run into a guy at K-mart. Our K-mart typically on weekends would have stuff 50% off so I would occasionally browse through there and pick up stuff. Anyways he had like two or three copies of a Thawk game for the GBA. He was actually nice enough to offer me one since there were non left. I told him thanks, but I was not interested in that title.

Only other unusual incident was when I saw a guy from one classic gaming store coming into another one (they were about an hour apart) and selling used stuff to them. Of course I had to mention to the store owner that the other guy ran a store as well, but seems he was already aware of that.

Actually, quite the opposite happend to me. The other 'nerd' in town and I finally met face to face in a Salvation Army. It was one of those 'so YOU'RE the guy who always buys the stuff before I get here' kinda things. Long story short, he ended up becoming one of my best friends and is a hell of a decent guy. We've both profited far more from trading with each other than we ever did thrifting (he's a post NES guy, I'm all about Atari).

Don't be so quick to fight fellow collectors. Sometimes they are pretty cool people.

Actually, quite the opposite happend to me. The other 'nerd' in town and I finally met face to face in a Salvation Army. It was one of those 'so YOU'RE the guy who always buys the stuff before I get here' kinda things. Long story short, he ended up becoming one of my best friends and is a hell of a decent guy. We've both profited far more from trading with each other than we ever did thrifting (he's a post NES guy, I'm all about Atari).

Don't be so quick to fight fellow collectors. Sometimes they are pretty cool people.

Good point -- the title Nerd Wars is VERY tongue-in-cheek. People who nab thrift store purchases before me may drive me nuts, but I never wish them any ill will. Unless they nab a $7.99 N64 out from under my nose! ;)

Good point -- the title Nerd Wars is VERY tongue-in-cheek. People who nab thrift store purchases before me may drive me nuts, but I never wish them any ill will. Unless they nab a $7.99 N64 out from under my nose! ;)

This is true. Take the screamin' nerd in my earlier story. If he had just been civil and asked me which games he wanted i would have likely let him have them. i didn't expect him to freak out suddenly.

:) Thanks, I was pretty proud of it. I wouldn't do it anymore though, as the VV isn't worth the run. Great to know there's another Newfoundlander on the boards, really raises the level of the room. :cool:

I find the ValueVillage there pretty good. I can't say I always find stuff there but I've made a few cool purchases, just the same. I find I have less luck at that Salvation Army.

I find the ValueVillage there pretty good. I can't say I always find stuff there but I've made a few cool purchases, just the same. I find I have less luck at that Salvation Army.

Unless you're looking for a computer monitor. They had like 20 for $10 each a little while ago. Other than that I saw a commodor 64 there once, so it's pretty disappointing. Also, it smells. The only place I have luck here in the wild anymore is Nether World. Even the flea market sucks.

Unless you're looking for a computer monitor. They had like 20 for $10 each a little while ago. Other than that I saw a commodor 64 there once, so it's pretty disappointing. Also, it smells. The only place I have luck here in the wild anymore is Nether World. Even the flea market sucks.

Nether World is great - picked up Mike Tyson's Punch-Out there last week. I find VV good for loose Atari games on times. Saw a ton of Sega CD stuff there awhile back. But yeah -- way too many monitors!! Now if I could find a Tandy monitor there I wouldn't be complaining!!

• 9 months later...
:lol: :lol: Hilarious title! I thought at first you talking about my high school where one primo "melvin" took offence to someone's mockery of his dungeons and dragons character - lost his temper- and stabbed the guy in the back with a plastic fork (to no effect!)

So:..................

I was at one of those outdoor flea markets with my fiancee' and just finished buying an NES system and about 25 games for $20. I really only wanted six or seven of the games but the vendor insisted on me taking them all. There was tons of people milling around the tables but I didn't pay attention to them. Just as I'm about to leave this pasty looking guy with acne says "What you are taking them all?" I'm like "Excuse me?". He says "You're not leaving any for anyone else". I'm just about to say "Stupid A*s, I just bought them all, can't you hear????" when the vendor says "Sorry I wanted to sell the whole thing". The pasty guy then says to the vendor "You were supposed to keep these for me" to which the vendor replies "Hey he had the cash ready". The pasty guy turns beat red and SCREAMS at the guy "F*CK YOU, I'm never buying from you again !!!!!". With this about a dozen people stop mid-step and begin staring at this baby's temper tantrum. The pasty guy's fists clench up for a moment and for a second he must have thought about striking me and/or the vendor. (which would have been interesting since my fiancee' teaches self defence and knows some rather cruel tricks) The guy storms off not to be seen again. The vendor just shakes his head, and explains that he had routinely been putting aside stuff just for this guy but the guy owed him over $65 and he needed to pay his "stall" rental at the market.

So began a very awesome relationship with this vendor, one that continues to this day - and no I haven't seen the irate nerd since.

Has anyone ever purposely done things like walk around with a box of prototypes or anything else to purposely frustrate others ???

Good Day----Lance M.

had to recycle this post as i ran into the above screaming guy at a flea mkt on saturday......

I was carrying some NES games when this guy says "Are you still buying games, get anything good?". I didn't recognize the guy at first as he looked like he had put on about 80 pounds and had a shaved head.

The conversation continued like this:

Me - "I just got a couple of Nintendo games. I haven't seen you in ages"

Him - "yeah, my dad charges me room and board now, and my car died, so im broke. You know that guy you bought games from is an a$$hole"

Me- "huh????"

Him - "he's a ripoff artist and none of his games ever work. My dad hates him too......."

Me - "How old are you"

Him - "27"

Me - "well, good luck with your car"

Him - " i don't play those old games anymore now. i've got a new Game Cube"

Me -" OK, see ya"

so as you can see the guy is alive and appears well fed (but not prosperous LOL!) I know this is a waste of bandwidth but i thought it would be a funny dysfunctional post script......hahaha!.....

has anyone else had any recent nerd wars or nerd encounters LOL!

I was at Otakon over the weekend and ventured to a few gaming booths. While looking at the table of games (which were half imports, half domestic) there was a box of common NES games for $5 each. So I ask:

Me: What's with these $5 American games, is there something special about them?

Him: Well, they're pretty uncommon and we have dealer fees to pay.

Me: Ahh, well that's understandable. What's with this GameCube add-on you have here?

Him: Oh, well that's a very rare add-on with limited production for the GameCube. It allows you to play Gameboy Advanced games on your TV.

Me: So it's like a Super Gameboy? (Playing with the guy obviously)

Him: Yeah, just like that!

Me: So why is it $80? That seems a bit high considering I can almost get a DS for that price.

Him: It makes your games look real nice plus you'll have a rare add-on!

Me: Oh, so I should have bought it for $30 from a local store owner, he has 2 of them in stock. I'll have to let him know he's got something really rare!

At this point I began laughing and walked away. Today I went into that local store owners place and told him the story, he just shook his head.

i am deliberatly an asshole when someone insists they kno more than me about videogames. i know a good deal, and im sure there are people here that know 10x more than i ever will, but people like that really piss me off. so i guess i pretty much start the nerd war. :grin: