IGNORED

Mord's Blog - (Action RPG) Fixed-Point movement

RSS Bot

I've changed the way the player moves to make use of fixed-point math. In the rom right now I replaced the castle with a simple square in the middle so I could work on screen clipping with the new movement code. Took me a while to get that right, once again due to my confusing how cmp works with setting the carry flag. I seem to keep testing for the opposite case than what's called for. ^^;

Also, another strange thing I had going was that movement got busted as soon as I swapped in the new code.

If I moved directly down, it worked normally.

If I moved to the right, I ended up moving diagonally down-right until I hit a wall where I'd get stuck. (The collision code is still using the old code, so it no longer works properly just yet. :ponder:

If I moved left or up however, I instantly got warped either off the screen or to the very top/left of the screen. I have to assume that's what happens in the left case, as the player would vanish under the playfield at the time.

The problem with left/up was mainly with me not specifically setting all the movement variables. I didn't init the ones that should have been 0 figuring they should already be zero after going through the initialization code... There was also the flipped carry branch I was using with the screen clipping. After I corrected those things, those directions didn't cause too much of a problem.

As for the diagonal movement, that was caused because in the original code, I was not using the accumulator for anything but holding the joystick reading as I rol'ed the bits out. Of course, the new code uses the accumulator heavily, and x and y in the math functions. So in the left/right cases, after rol'ing out a bit to test, I saved it to my scratch variable, TempVariable. Then when I would be ready to test the up/down half of the controller, I would reload it again.

This fixed the diagonal problem.

I worked on the diagonal problem first, so I can only assume if I worried about that last, then the up/left would have had a diagonal problem as well once it's reset-to-zero error was fixed...

No rom to show this time. ;) I'm going to start in on changing the collision code to work with the new setup first and post the final version of 0.005 when that's done.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2187