IGNORED

Flashback Joystick compatable?

capitolizod

I made an earlier post asking if there were any 2 button joysticks compatable with the 7800. I appreciate all responses.

Now i am wondering if the joysicks that come with the Atari Flashback 1 are compatable with the 7800. They Flashback console is modeled after the 7800, and the joysticks look identical, so intuition tells me that YES they are compatable. I am just wondering if anyone out there can confirm this as fact.

I am also curious if Atari corrected the problems associated with the original Proline joysticks with the newer Flashback joysticks?

Thanks!

Ian

The joysticks look similar, and they use the same DB9 female connectors, but they are unfortunately not compatible with the 7800. They're actually repackaged NES game controllers: the two buttons on the sides correspond to the "A" and "B" buttons on the NES gamepad, and "SELECT" and "PAUSE" correspond to the NES's "SELECT" and "START."

They're actually pretty decent little controllers, all things considered. I find that their smaller size makes them a lot easier to hold than the original Prolines.

The joysticks look similar, and they use the same DB9 female connectors, but they are unfortunately not compatible with the 7800. They're actually repackaged NES game controllers: the two buttons on the sides correspond to the "A" and "B" buttons on the NES gamepad, and "SELECT" and "PAUSE" correspond to the NES's "SELECT" and "START."

They're actually pretty decent little controllers, all things considered. I find that their smaller size makes them a lot easier to hold than the original Prolines.

What would it take to adapt them?

I know NES controllers are tricky to adapt for the Atari systems with nine pin connectors, but I have seen it done.

What would it take to adapt them?

I know NES controllers are tricky to adapt for the Atari systems with nine pin connectors, but I have seen it done.

It would have to be a pretty extensive modification. You'd have to replace the cable, first of all, since FB1 joystick connectors contain only five of the nine pins a true 7800 joystick needs. You'd then have to "cut out" the chip inside the controller and wire the Atari cable and two 620-ohm resistors to the wires/traces going to the triggers and directionals, using the pinout and wiring diagram of an original 7800 Proline as a guide.

In my opinion, it would be a better idea to find something like a Radica Space Invaders controller and modify that instead; it's a lot less work and you'll end up with a much better controller.