IGNORED

Assembler Cartridge

Pengwin

I was wondering if there is an image of the Atari Assembler cartridge available anywhere that I can use with Atari800MacX. I have the cartidge, but as can be seen in my last post (Disaster), my Atari is temporarily, or permanently, out of action and I would like to finally get around to teaching myself 6502 assembly.

I know there are better assemblers out there (Mac/65 for one), but I would like to use the same assembler on the emulator as I will be using when I either fix my 800XL or get a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Many file formats (including ATR) can't be uploaded.

You have to put them in a .ZIP file.

I wouldn't recommend the Atari ASMED. Assuming your emulator supports bank-switched carts, definitely go MAC-65. Near 100% compatible, and won't have you falling asleep while waiting for assemblies.

But, the best option is PC-side Assemblers - nearly instantaneous assemblies although no idea what might be available for the Mac.

I wouldn't recommend the Atari ASMED. Assuming your emulator supports bank-switched carts, definitely go MAC-65. Near 100% compatible, and won't have you falling asleep while waiting for assemblies.

He's using an emulator, so he can cheat: turn off the framerate limiter, bet it'll run 10x the speed of a real Atari on decent hardware (depends on the emu you're using and how fast your CPU is, etc)

But, the best option is PC-side Assemblers - nearly instantaneous assemblies although no idea what might be available for the Mac.

Absolutely. You get to use a decent text editor and set of tools (I like vim, perl, and the usual UNIXy grep/sed/awk stuff, but lots of people like Textpad or the like. I think I even saw a link to a 6502 ASM plugin for Eclipse on the Programming forum).

A Mac running OS X can use DASM, ATASM, ca65 (the assembler that comes with cc65) for sure.

If you're wanting to stay Mac/65 compatible, use ATASM: its whole goal is to be as much like Mac/65 as possible (except I think it doesn't require line numbers).

Also, a long time ago, I compiled the Atari800 emulator on Linux with no graphics support (just terminal input/output) and wrote a wrapper script that would create an ATR image of Mac/65 plus your code, run Mac/65, then copy the resulting object file to your hard drive (and leave it in the ATR image too, so you could run it with the full-featured version of the emulator)... you'd edit the code on the Linux box, and actually assemble it with the real Mac/65... this would also work fine on a Mac, I think.

I should dig up or rewrite that script, it'd be hilarious to see people actually using it :)