IGNORED

SimpleJ - The Classic Gaming Platform that Never Existed

jbanes

I ran into this neat little project, so I thought I'd share my impressions.

Overview

Sometimes Google searches bring you to the oddest things. In this case, I bumped across a project called SimpleJ. The aim of the project is to emulate the design and feel of a classic console/computer that might have been. The author hopes to use it to teach programming and game development to a new generation of coders. The kit comes with a code editor, a debugger, a sprite editor, a tile editor, and a virtual console. All of which are packaged quite nicely, and should be accessable to anyone looking to get into coding.

My Feelings

Personally, I'm a little on the underwhelmed side. While the project looks very cool on the surface, the author appears to have done nothing more than create a straightforward scripting language. (A language, I might add, that he could have used Rhino JavaScript for.) Since there's no real virtual machine under the covers, the rest of the experience seems false. Anyone who wants to dig deeper into the core of the "machine" (and lets admit it, what classic programmer wasn't trying to dig deeper?) will be sadly disappointed when all that they find is just a scripting engine. No virtual CPU, no chip clocking, artificial pauses, etc. It all adds up to wasted potential.

Final Verdict

If the platform at least allowed games to be independently deployed, it would have more uses as a first time platform for new developers. Sort of like bBASIC for 2600 developers. Unfortunately, the only target is the simpleJ virtual console. Which makes the project good for demonstrating how text-mode graphics and sound were once pressed into service for games, but otherwise is not of very much use. :(