IGNORED

X Box Live Arcade Unplugged

Gabriel

So, Geometry Wars and the Space Station sim are on this disc. That's cool. I've played the demos and like them. That's roughly $20 worth of stuff.

There's a one month membership to Live Gold as part of the pack. Oddly, that might actually be useful. Star Trek: Legacies comes out next month and I might be inclined to engage in some starship battles. And I don't really want a longer membership, because I know the assholes and lag will put me off and make me hate the fact that the novelty sucked me in.

So, about $30 worth of stuff. I understand there's a Backgammon game, Bejeweled, and Poker. That's not exactly worth even $5 to me.

Anything else of note on the disc? I'd like Geometry Wars and the space station game on a disc, just in case. But the overall package just isn't terribly appealling at $40.

It costs too much at $40 for basically Geometry Wars and a bunch of parlor games, it should have been $20 to suck in the casual gamers who aren't already on X Box Live

Nah. If they sold it at $20 all the XBL subscribers would be pissed off because that's less than they paid for those games. MS must sell them for at least the same price (points equivalent) to avoid that ... and hopefully get some new XBL addicts in the process.

It costs too much at $40 for basically Geometry Wars and a bunch of parlor games, it should have been $20 to suck in the casual gamers who aren't already on X Box Live

Nah. If they sold it at $20 all the XBL subscribers would be pissed off because that's less than they paid for those games. MS must sell them for at least the same price (points equivalent) to avoid that ... and hopefully get some new XBL addicts in the process.

Most games get a price drop after being on the market for a certain period of time and what better way to get new addicts than by a low introductary price

Most games get a price drop after being on the market for a certain period of time and what better way to get new addicts than by a low introductary price

Sure, but the price hasn't dropped on XBL yet (unfortunately). I just think we'll see the price drop in the XBL Marketplace first, where distribution and hard costs are almost nonexistant, before they make them available cheaper somewhere else ... if the price ever drops on these things ;)

Although I gotta say, buying these Unplugged discs if and when stores start clearing them out would not only be the cheapest way of getting these games by far, but there's no DRM to tie it to your Live account if the service were to ever fail.

Edited by SomeGuyWithDSL

Since the box kind of implies you need a HDD for the compilation anyway, I decided to just go the pick and choose route instead of getting the disc.

So, I went 10 months before having to upgrade. That's not too bad. Especially considering that had I bought the premium pack back when I originally purchased the system, I would have had to skip on buying a game, and I'd have a wireless controller that I didn't want.

Anyway, now that I have the HDD, I'm even more of the opinion that the only reason it's there is to convince you to pay to download content. Oh well, I guess it's time to join the darkside.

So far I've bought Geometry Wars and Feeding Frenzy. I'm still trying to decide what to spend my 800 other points on. Mutant Storm and Space Station Kaloki both look interesting.

Note on pre-loaded content: Oh, gee. A bunch of crap music and a shoe commercial. I'm glad they made sure to include this in their way overpriced 20Gig hard drive.

You only need the free silver account to buy arcade games online. But, I have had the gold account since the release of XBox Live (along with Unreal Championship that was released the same day.) I find the experience to be quite nice actually. I very rarely experience lag and most people I have played with are friendly. If I do run into someone I don't care for I can simply mute them or even report them if I feel so inclined.

As for arcade games I have: Geometry Wars, Marble Blast Ultra, Cloning Clide, and Doom. All of them were worth every penny (especially Marble Blast Ultra as far as content and Geometry Wars as far as longevity. IMO those are the two must-have arcade games.)

As for arcade games I have: Geometry Wars, Marble Blast Ultra, Cloning Clide, and Doom. All of them were worth every penny (especially Marble Blast Ultra as far as content and Geometry Wars as far as longevity. IMO those are the two must-have arcade games.)

I love Geometry Wars, even though I suck at it. Cloning Clyde and Doom are definitely not my type of games. While Marble Blast Ultra seemed neat, it ultimately just wasn't very fun for me.

Strangely, of the coin op classics, Time Pilot is the one that tempts me the most. Something about the redone graphics appeals to me.