IGNORED

Sanctioned Yellow Dog Linux on PS3

eric_ruck

So... what is the point of this? Linux is kind of a buzzword these days, and I'm sure there are plenty of geeks who look forward to running Linux on whatever machines they can for no real purpose... but what does Sony expect this to accomplish? Are they hoping to foster some sort of homebrew community, or do they actually expect people to be writing lab reports and financial spreadsheets on their PS3?

Seems to me like this is just an easy way in for hackers.

--Zero

Didn't Sony try something along these lines when it launched the PS2 in Europe, shipping it with Linux? Something about lower import taxes when bringing in computers as compared to game consoles?

Yes. It's a loophole in the European laws which put higher import taxes on game consoles. As long as Sony can call it a "computer", they can get around the extra tarrifs.

Does this mean we'll be seeing some good emulators on the PS3?

If you're one of the 12 people that owns the Linux kit, maybe.

Remember, this was also available for the PS2.

And the PS1 had a mini-devkit available in the form of the NetYaroze.

My guess is that that will depend entirely on what kind of development tools you get. Hopefully the Linux kit will come with a C compiler... but if the homebrew community has to write all their own libraries, then it might take a while before we see anything good available. If Sony gives you development libraries, there still might be a ton of legal loopholes that prevent you from actually distributing anything (sort of like how Dreamcast homebrew made with the official devkit is technically illegal, and generally shunned by the DC homebrew community). It's all sort of a "wait and see" kinda thing...

--Zero

So... what is the point of this? Linux is kind of a buzzword these days, and I'm sure there are plenty of geeks who look forward to running Linux on whatever machines they can for no real purpose... but what does Sony expect this to accomplish? Are they hoping to foster some sort of homebrew community, or do they actually expect people to be writing lab reports and financial spreadsheets on their PS3?

Seems to me like this is just an easy way in for hackers.

--Zero

I definitely don't run Linux for no real purpose. It is my main OS. I use it for gaming, office, browsing, e-mail, irc, etc. etc. I also make a living developing for it. I do agree that it will be an easy way in for hackers though.

I don't see how the PS2 comparisons apply, since this time around everyone can have free access to it. :ponder:

I don't see a single thing about free access.

Besides, as far as I know the PS3 still has "copy-protection" mechanisms to prevent the booting of unsigned media. You'll HAVE to buy it.

Sony's already done this twice, with NetYaroze and PS2 Linux kit. Both times they actively sabotaged the program to prevent it from being widely available or appealing to the end user.I see no indicator that their attitude has changed.

This exists as a marketing bulletpoint, nothing more.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Though at this point, it's more like "Fool me six times, shame on you. Fool me seven or more times, shame on me."

Will the high price of the PS3 deter interested users? It certainly deters me. Staats believes that the PS3 will provide a do-all set-top box, and he shared his own plans to incorporate one into his personal home theater: "I cannot emphasize enough that the PS3 is designed for Linux and [is] far more than a game box," he said. "Personally, I plan to remove my home DVD and CD decks and use instead a PS3 attached with my home theater for DVD, CD, MP3, and home computer—attached to a 5:1 14 speaker system with HD LCD. Elegant, simple, and powerful."

:lol: With the exception of blu-ray. This guy could get an xbox loaded with XBMC and do those same exact things for 4 times less the price. In fact the Xbox 360 is capable of that already. Why the heck would you need linux just for that. Totally clueless. :roll:

I don't know where people get the idea that free = better, or no reason to compare to PS2. I mean really. If anything free = less support. But I'm a little confused about the term "free" considering the article says...

DL 5.0 prices are already listed on Terra Soft's web site. YDL 5.0 will ship with 2 DVDs for $49.95. Users that want installation support and a YDL.net account can expect to pay $99.95. Two weeks after the official release date, Terra Soft plans to make YDL 5.0 available for free download from public mirror sites.

Although this quote (if it comes true) sounds hopeful..

This past May, we reported on comments made at E3 by Sony manager Izumi Kawanishi, who revealed that a Linux distribution and various developer tools would probably be available for the PS3. Terra Soft's YDL 5.0 distribution, which will ship with GCC 4 and the Cell SDK in addition to a broad assortment of common open source desktop applications, could potentially facilitate the emergence of a homebrew PS3 development community and bring a lot of extra value to Sony's next-gen console. That said, there is plenty of room for skepticism given the limitations of the old PS2 Linux environment, the high cost of the PS3 itself, the depressingly limited availability of the Playstation 3 at launch, and the experimental nature of e17.
Edited by Shannon

So... what is the point of this?
I definitely don't run Linux for no real purpose. It is my main OS. I use it for gaming, office, browsing, e-mail, irc, etc. etc. I also make a living developing for it. I do agree that it will be an easy way in for hackers though.

I run Linux as my main OS as well... but would you seriously buy a PS3 with the intent to use it as a computer? I certainly wouldn't.

--Zero

So... what is the point of this?

I run Linux as my main OS as well... but would you seriously buy a PS3 with the intent to use it as a computer? I certainly wouldn't.

--Zero

If you did use it as a computer, at least you wouldn't have to upgrade the graphics card every year. :P

If you did use it as a computer, at least you wouldn't have to upgrade the graphics card every year. :P

Well, yeah... but I wouldn't even have the option... I'd be stuck with what I had even after it became obsolete.

I almost never play 3D games on my computer anyways... that's what I buy the consoles for. Pretty much the only games I play on my computer are through emulators or simple Flash games on the internet.

--Zero

From what I've read, that processor will blow away anything any of you are using right now.

Mozilla, Open Office, Bittorrent, eMule...

What more do you want? Games :)

You are going to see a*s loads of PS3 precompiled binaries of all types.

The standardized hardware will simplify things a lot.

I expect to see a third party USB video capture device with PS3 Linux drivers.

MythTV, hello!

You will be able to hook up a USB burner and use it right out of the box.

From what I've read, that processor will blow away anything any of you are using right now.

Mozilla, Open Office, Bittorrent, eMule...

What more do you want? Games :)

You are going to see a*s loads of PS3 precompiled binaries of all types.

The standardized hardware will simplify things a lot.

I expect to see a third party USB video capture device with PS3 Linux drivers.

MythTV, hello!

You will be able to hook up a USB burner and use it right out of the box.

Just thought I'd quote this so we can have a good laugh after Sony pulls the plug on the PS3 Linux kit. :D Edited by jaybird3rd

Where did you get the word "kit" from? You may be confused with the PS2.

If you're one of the 12 people that owns the Linux kit, maybe.

Remember, this was also available for the PS2.

And the PS1 had a mini-devkit available in the form of the NetYaroze.

I was simply referring to the OS and its development tools collectively as a "kit." Whatever you want to call it, I agree with JB that it will be short-lived.

Edited by jaybird3rd

It is an install disc. Here is what's on it:

- kernel 2.6.16

- gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.4

- Cell SDK 1.1

- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2

- FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0

- Nautilus 2.1.4

... and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and Networking applications.

They will be showing it off next month.

Didn't the PS2 Hardware/Software Kit cost $250?

This will not be free, but not $250.

Edit:

from www.terrasoftsolutions.com

YDL 5.0

2 DVDs, no support: $49.95 + Shipping

Edited by antron