IGNORED

Donkey Kong 5th LEVEL!

SoundGammon

That's Cool! Dk 94 had almost a hundred levels, that would be friggin sweet to see a translation of on the Atari :P

That level's cool looking, though it also looks like it will rely FAR more on luck than skill, as the fireballs jumping from the bottome of the screen will just happen to have to miss you up to 8 times.

Wow, a new "foundry" level...very cool! BTW, I often wondered what the coin-op Donkey Kong would have been like with many more levels. Sort of like what we saw in Jumpman, but with the Donkey Kong type graphics and enemies.

Apart from the Gameboy Donkey Kong, were there any games on the consoles, or even the PC (i.e shareware) that came close to the style of Donkey Kong, but with multiple levels?

Thanks.

Is this new version of Donkey Kong actually available to play on MAME? I'd sure like to try it! :)

Apart from the Gameboy Donkey Kong, were there any games on the consoles, or even the PC (i.e shareware) that came close to the style of Donkey Kong, but with multiple levels?

There's johnnywc's Champ Kong for PC, which features the 4 arcade levels plus 4 new levels and a bonus level. (If the link doesn't work, try Googling Champ Kong, you'll find a mirror of the software somewhere else on the net).

Thanks.

Chuckie Egg was close I think. It had 8 levels from memory, maybe more, and was available on all home comp platforms in the early 80s - even the dragon 32 (which is what I had at the time). It was the closest thing to DK without being DK at the time.

2200.gif

• 2 weeks later...

If I ever get a Donkey Kong I will get one I have the original Mario Brothers and I plan on getting the High score save feature and free play feature offered by another web page. http://www.arcadeshop.com/mario-kit/mario-kit.htm That would be neat if he could design even more levels for the game you can really do a lot with DK. I guess Nintendo never really thought their games would have any other use other than a commercial application when they made these games to never include a free play option.

Am I the only collector who likes the purity of the original 4 levels. Sure the HS save feature is nice but beyond that I'm happy with the original. My Ms Pacman/galaga anniversary cab has all sorts of bells and whistles -fast pacman, rapid fire etc but I've NEVER even tried them.

I don't want 'lucas' style revisions - just the game I played 25 years ago :)

• 17 years later...
On 10/19/2006 at 8:41 PM, Video said:

That's Cool! Dk 94 had almost a hundred levels, that would be friggin sweet to see a translation of on the Atari :P

That level's cool looking, though it also looks like it will rely FAR more on luck than skill, as the fireballs jumping from the bottome of the screen will just happen to have to miss you up to 8 times.

Is your reference to Dk 94 to the gameboy game or some other game? I've never personally seen a true Donkey Kong game with 100 levels but that would be amazing. Maybe for the 50th anniversary of Nintendo Donkey Kong they can make one with 50 legitimate levels 😃