IGNORED

ADVENTURE 2

rjchamp3

Some more pictures today. :)

Nearly 200 5200 carts have had their labels removed, label application surface cleaned, and had their guts removed (screw, dust cover pieces, spring, and PCB). At this stage the carts will be scrubbed under running water with a scrub brush to remove any dirt in the edges along the sides of the cart as well as on the back.

a2_shells.jpg

Picture of the plastic pieces and PCBs that came out of those carts (the screws and springs are not shown):

a2_guts.jpg

Back to work!

..Al

I love these updates; just makes the anticipation better.

I agree, but I also think it's important for archival purposes as well. Sure, it's a homebrew game but it's also part of the Atari legacy and history. Hope to see more before it comes out!

-Ron

I love these updates; just makes the anticipation better.

I agree, but I also think it's important for archival purposes as well. Sure, it's a homebrew game but it's also part of the Atari legacy and history. Hope to see more before it comes out!

-Ron

I'm with the both of ya. I think every step of the process is quite fascinating, and it's great of Al to post each step for posterity. It never really occurred to me what kind of work goes in to making these things--sure makes me appreciate it all the more. It will make the game extra sweet for me (kind of like being able to observe Stradivari in his workshop!).

I finished up all the 2600 and 7800 games that are being shipped with the Adventure II orders. Here's a picture that shows all the loose carts, labeled and ready to go. Mind you, I already shipped quite a few games to people who ordered them with Adventure II--this just represents any remaining games that haven't been shipped yet. There are some boxed games as well, but I didn't put them in this picture (they are done as well):

a2_2600.jpg

Here are some other pictures I've taken along the way.. First, a batch of blank 5200 PCBs waiting to be turned into Adventure II:

a2_blanks.jpg

Adventure II boxes being glued:

a2_books.jpg

And finally, labels being removed from 5200 carts with a heat gun:

a2_heat.jpg

..Al

Hey - I think I have a couple of those books!!!

I have so many old computer books it's not funny. Need to put them all on Half.com and see if someone will buy them. For instance, I really don't need any of the many Delphi programming books I own. And for the record, the MCSE NT Workstation book isn't mine. :)

..Al

LOL, that's a good use for the Linux Programming book!

I probably bought that when I was working for TiVo (as they do all their development under Linux).

When did Adventure 2 go on sale? Also, I thought Santa Simon was discontinued. Perhaps there was some kind of delay on those three, though.

Adventure II went on sale in November... (wait for it...) 1995!

Santa Simon was only in the store for the 2006 Christmas Sale (mid-December through mid-January). The copies you see in the picture were purchased with Adventure II during that time.

..Al

Hey - I think I have a couple of those books!!!

Adventure II boxes being glued:

post-3-1177260450_thumb.jpg

..Al

So these are the special surprises you mentioned that you were including with Adventure II? Cool, used computer books. Can I request a Photoshop book? :ponder: :D

Allan

Edited by Allan

That was a great year. I completed my sixth and final undergrad year, got my diploma, worked as a Night Stocker (not Stalker) at a grocery store, was almost driven crazy by the incessant tunes of Hootie and the Blowfish while working there, and worked a few clerical temp jobs.

Yep, Adventure II is well worth the 12-year wait.

That was a great year. I completed my sixth and final undergrad year, got my diploma, worked as a Night Stocker (not Stalker) at a grocery store, was almost driven crazy by the incessant tunes of Hootie and the Blowfish while working there, and worked a few clerical temp jobs.

:)

It was actually 2005. :)

..Al

..Al

No shit? :dunce:

:P

..Al

No shit? :dunce:

:P

I actually meant to type 2005 in my first post, I must have been distracted. Either that or some evil moderator edited my post.. :P

..Al

Another day, more work on Adventure II. Here are more pictures of a rather unglorious task that needs to be done in order to get a 5200 homebrew game out the door..

Scrubbing 5200 carts under the sink:

a2_washing.jpg

A batch of 100 5200 carts drying under the, uhh, not so hot glare of fluorescent lights:

a2_drying.jpg

After these dry (with the help of a fan blowing on them) I have another batch of nearly 100 carts to do the same to. Then I can check yet another item off my list. :)

..Al