IGNORED

Atari 2600 in a chip

Hendra

Last year, someone posted a link to a video of a dedicated system that can play lots of 2600 games. It has drop down menu to select the game. It has a lot more games than the one from FB2 or Jakks Pacific. I think it's called 2600 in a chip or something like that. Has this been marketed to the public? Any new news about this?

The Flashback 2 is the only new system that can boast actual 2600 hardware compatibility. The rest, including some that have come out since the Flashback 2, are just cheap Nintendo-on-a-Chip designs.

Perhaps you're thinking of one of the older pirate/clone systems offered with built-in games, such as the ones listed here.

Edit: You may also be thinking of cartridges that can hold multiple games, such as the Krokodile Cart.

Edited by skunkworx

The Flashback 2 is the only new system that can boast actual 2600 hardware compatibility. The rest, including some that have come out since the Flashback 2, are just cheap Nintendo-on-a-Chip designs.

Perhaps you're thinking of one of the older pirate/clone systems offered with built-in games, such as the ones listed here.

Edit: You may also be thinking of cartridges that can hold multiple games, such as the Krokodile Cart.

No, it's actually neither one of them. It's a newer system built with an FPGA. The designer originally did it for a hobby and then sold his design to a 3rd party. He used to have a website to showed off his creation before he took it down after sold the design to the 3rd party.

No, it's actually neither one of them. It's a newer system built with an FPGA. The designer originally did it for a hobby and then sold his design to a 3rd party. He used to have a website to showed off his creation before he took it down after sold the design to the 3rd party.
Are you referring to Carlos Lopez's Atari-on-a-chip project? I did a quick search and found some old WIP threads on these boards (he has/had an AtariAge account), but it seems to have disappeared after the FB2.

Carlos said he had sold the design to a firm - Unprotected Reality? I think. The only thing was they never got past the FPGA stage and never got it optimized for ASIC usage. I remember Activision was looking at their project a long while back.

He had sent me and Atari a video demo of his FGPA kit back in Dec 04' but we were already at the stage of optimizing into a sample Winbond ASIC at the time and we well ahead of his design and moved forward with our internal chip design instead.

Curt

Are you referring to Carlos Lopez's Atari-on-a-chip project? I did a quick search and found some old WIP threads on these boards (he has/had an AtariAge account), but it seems to have disappeared after the FB2.