IGNORED

Marble Madness Problem

TheBman80

Just got the thing last night it was nonworking when I got it there is a beeping sound and the message "rom at 20000 error L" flashes up on the screen. Now obviously this is a rom error but were can I get the chip to fix the problem and how can I identify the right chip? I have an idea what chip it is looked at the manual says chip 15D is at fault but the schematics are totally different from the MM PCB and it is an original Atari board. Anyone able to help me out on this?

Chip 15D is a Type-23256 200ns ROM Integrated circuit Part NO.136033-104

The previous owner bought a new system 1 main board and got the same error when he plugged it in so it’s defiantly the MM PCB.

So I think I have made a break through I have a guy that can sell me a Marble Madness board set the Atari Systems 1 PCB and the Marble Madness card PCB. I will use these as spares in case any of mine breakdown again that way I will have time to fix the others so I will hopefully will never have any downtime with the game ever again. I have also found a guy that burns chips for like every game imaginable and he said that he could burn me the ROM I paid for it so it should be on the way in the next day or 2. Apparently he uses the MAME ROM images to do this anyone know how this is done. Obviously you need a ROM burner that hooks up to your PC but which one? How do you recognize the correct file to use out of the MAME ROM image to put on the correct ROM chip? Or do you just burn one image and start plugging them into ROM sockets on the board until one works. (I guess worst case scenario) Oh and here's the place If anyone needs chips for anything try this guy he may have that hard to get stuff. http://www.hobbyroms.com/videogames.html Once I fix the game I will post some pictures I have to say I'm starting to get excited now I finally have a Marble Madness cab of my own.

Well here’s the deal after a couple of e-mails to the guy that burned the chip he game me a few suggestions first he told me to switch the ROM's next to each other locations 15D the chip with the problems with location 16D. Now he said I should get 2 ROM errors but I did not I even tried this with the original chips not the one he burned me still the same ROM error. I reseated every ROM on the board still nothing the guy said the voltages might be wrong but could this produce such a specific ROM error?

I think I have discovered the problem borrowed a multimeter and got the reading of 4.97V on the PCB's I'm going to start simple at first and replace the 2 Big Blue caps in the cabinet. They need to be done anyways old caps just dry up better off replacing those first before I even touch the regulator board for a recapping.

Well I got my Big Blues from Bob Roberts today and it's still a no go. I guess the next step is rebuilding the Atari Regulator/Audio III I just hope the transformer isn't bad and I'm doing all this work for nothing. Well I guess it's not for nothing I'm sure the 20+ year old caps needed to be changed anyways. I just hope I can solve this problem soon I really want to finally be able to play this game.

Oh yeah I almost forgot there looks like there’s something up with the monitor the Flyback on the monitor is sparking to the frame of the monitor now it only seems to do it sometimes when starting up and after you start it and shut it down and start it up again it doesn’t seem to do it. It doesn't spark out of the red wire that plugs into the monitor tube just out of the side of the transformer on the board. It is really close to the frame like 1/8 of an inch should I get like a piece of rubber and shove it in-between the frame and the Flyback to insulate it from the frame or should I replace the Flyback?

Edited by TheBman80

Oh yeah when the chip is removed same error it never changes I wanted to get a few suggestions from other people is all can’t think of everything myself. I hope to catch a break with this thing soon I hate when games are stubborn SOB's. I’m starting to run out of ideas does anyone think my idea with the rubber insulation will work I just don’t want to start a fire the weird thing is that there is no broken plastic or anything like that the sparks come right out of the side of the flyback. I could apply heat to all the stuff on the audio/regulator board with an iron to re-melt the solder could take a while would this even be worth the time to do or should I just wait to recap it at the same time to save time.

• 1 month later...

Ok, today I finally got my Rebuild kit for the monitor in the mail and recapped the monitor and put a new flyback in as well. Now the weird thing is the kit had a G07 upgrade in it. I followed it by the letter and even used Bob Robert's web page with picture on how to do the up grade and it didn't work. Had the monitor on for a few seconds and smelled an awful smell of cooking electronics. Let's just say I unplugged as fast as I could good thing is no damage was inflicted at all to the monitor. I removed the upgrade and put it back the way it was and have no problems with it now. Anyone else have this issue with the G07 kit upgrade? I’m also having issues now with the left and right stretching of the picture the up and down work great but I can get the picture all the way to the left and right sides of the screen. I think I have like an inch on each side of the screen is this just the way Marble Madness is displayed on screen or is one of my adjustment knobs bad? Oh I did get a new board set for the game it’s an older version Marble madness board. The people I got the last EPROM from for my old nonworking board said they would send me another chip for free. I found out that the problem was in the ROM 12A and not 15D I think the 15D error would have been correct on my older version board but not the newer version. The manual only covered the older version board. So I might have 2 working MM boards soon is there any big difference between the new and old versions of the game PCB's like in the game play? On another note I need to at least rebuild the 1st player trackball the 2nd player trackball worked great with some good old WD40 in the bearings. The cabinet could also use a good cleaning a new set of locks and the new leg levelers are on the way. Man this has been one hell of a project not to mention a huge drain on the wallet but man I love this game its soo much more fun with the trackball as opposed to using an analog controller. I can't wait to play this all day on Christmas day screw the new present’s lol.

Here's another cab that shows it. It's almost like they couldn't decide between upright or horizontal.

mmm.jpg

Technically, I think it's possibly 16 pixels of black either side that is covering the 'construction' of the graphics as the screen scrolls. In my old days of programming the c64 and dragon et al I used to utilized that trick. In every mame pic I see of MM it looks to be the case.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...G=Search+Images

See the black vertical border?

Edited by arcadebasement

Yeah cool I just wanted to double check to see if anyone else has seen the same thing. Makes me happy now I don’t have to go back in the monitor and replace an adjustment knob or something like that. Which seems to be the case with my Battlezone monitor since the brightness and contrast knobs do nothing at all but we will see once I get a chance to resoled the knob controls on the PCB first. Well at least it’s one step closer to completion now.

Problem solved!! It was the damn power supply fan was chugging away and burning up explains why I didn't smell it all the time when it was running. The game runs great and just needs a good cleaning now and some new trackball stuff and it will be 100%. I hope the ROM chip that’s coming in the mail fixes the other PCB then I will have a nice spare board.

I have a MM cabinet at home (at work now). If you want to have a little competition, let me know. I believe my high score is around 160,000... playing on the very easy setting with a dummy 2nd player. This is my favorite arcade game of all-time.

I have a MM cabinet at home (at work now). If you want to have a little competition, let me know. I believe my high score is around 160,000... playing on the very easy setting with a dummy 2nd player. This is my favorite arcade game of all-time.

LOL, crap well let me get some practice in first I'm only hitting the 20,000 some point and my controls suck really bad until I can rebuild the trackballs I will have a serious handicap. I also have to see what setting my game is at because I know it’s a real pain in the ass to play I have been having some real problems at the end of the 3rd level. But yeah as soon as the bugs are worked out I will try my best to get some top scores in. Do you just start the 2nd player and leave it go to get the time bonuses?

I had to buy new rollers for my trackballs when I first got my cabinet. They were well warn. Then the new rollers had to go through some breaking in. Like I said, this is my favorite game. I played Marble Madness a *lot* when it first came out.

Oh yeah, my actual high score is 171,990... again on very easy with a dummy 2nd player.

Edited by Zoyx

New problem with my old board I ordered a new ROM chip for to replace a bad ROM in area 12A. After I installed the new chip my Rom error went away but there was nothing but flying squares on the screen. Basically chunks of the 1st board in small squares flying upwards on the screen any ideas as to what is going on maybe my new chip is bad? If it is I’m not sure why I wouldn’t still be getting the error. Maybe multiple ROMs failed now I have to figure out which other one is bad. Any ideas to which one? My new board still works this is just the spare PCB I have.