IGNORED

Mord's Blog - (Action RPG) Version 0.008 beta 2 (Second Bar)

RSS Bot

Beta 2. Second mini-goal done. Added in the second bar as planned, and set it so that the item-equipped displays properly. Also took a few seconds to replace the horrible looking sword with a horrible looking chalice.

I've pondered the idea of minor animations (2-4 frames) for the items, although where they're single color I don't know if that's really worth it. I am pondering allowing the item's color to change each scanline if I find I have time for it. That'll probably be a touch up for version 0.009 or something...

I'm also pondering if I should consider using double-spaced sprites since it doesn't seem like much space is used there. I can adjust the P2 register to close up some of the empty space left on the right side of the sprite anyway. I'd also like to reposition it some more as well. Right now it still doesn't have an hmove to fine adjust it's position. I just use a resp1 to place it where it is.

As for other changes:

1. I've declared a couple new constants. They're the Player's Default Colors, for now being White and Red. Before I had some colors either hardwired in (pre-status bar versions) or left them the same color as whatever the statusbar's routine left them as. So now our Adventuring Square is canadian eh.

2. The second bar is in, but simply mirrors the status of the player's HP bar. Also, both bars are marked with "P". This is not hardwired in, and they do read their own rom table graphics. I'm just too lazy right now to adjust them. Just did a copy/paste and a slight edit. I will eventually change the red bar to "H" for Health/HP. And the purple bar to S for Spellpower/MP. I can't think of any other letters that fit such a small resolution with playfield graphics that make sense offhand. And I know the S is going to look like crap... maybe a T for technique? Hm...

3. I played with the background color settings and tied it into the player's Y coordinate just for fun. I'll likely unhook it again when I get back to playing with the Display kernel itself.

Final, and hardest goal is yet to come. Allowing the second bar to correctly display the player's Spellpower/MP instead of just mimicing the HP bar. This is likely what caused a lot of the errors with the initial stab at it.

blog-4460-1162379172_thumb.jpg

action_rpg_v008beta2.bin

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2275