IGNORED

Finally got a 360 (alt. topic title: "Oh Snap")

Scumdogg

Yeah, so the wife and i purchased a 360 with some of the gift card proceeds from our wedding last weekend. We got Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and Dead Rising to go with it.

We play some Ultimate Alliance till late at night, then she goes to bed. It's Dead Rising time. I get way back on the couch because wireless controllers are a novelty to me, fire up the game, and...can't read a damn thing.

I held out against component cables for the past generation of systems. I held out against HDTV, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, clinging desperately to my 7 year old 27 inch SD set. Because when i bought it, it was pretty sweet. It's got AV inputs in the back AND in the front, yo! I've got a dozen systems plugged into it!

Now we're going to add on to the wedding debt, and compound the fact that we have to move in two months, and go blow a crapload of money on a swanky new tv, just so i can figure out if wise old Janitor Otis is alerting me to a survivor in the clothing store or a shooter in the food store. :D

I've grown so used to just being able to hook up whatever to whatever else, and have no problems. It's been a great 26 years, but now this fancy new box thinks he can invite all his expensive friends to my already crowded party. Not that i can really complain about having an excuse to go buy a new tv, but i just didn't really think it'd be a digital Janitor that made me do it.

I don't know where i'm going with this. :|

Now we're going to add on to the wedding debt, and compound the fact that we have to move in two months, and go blow a crapload of money on a swanky new tv, just so i can figure out if wise old Janitor Otis is alerting me to a survivor in the clothing store or a shooter in the food store. :D

Just say no to HD until prices are reasonable. Take the 360 back and get something nice for the wife, keep her happy ;)

You'll love the new TV. Movies will have a whole new life, plus your games will pop out at you. Your old 27" is almost impossibly small compared to what's available now, and if you choose well, the screen you buy should last many years.

Dead Rising isn't going to be fixed for SDTVs, so your solution is a good one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rising#Issues

BTW if you want to control costs, take a look at your local craiglist.org in the electronics section. People are jumping all over the plasma and LCD screens, dumping their bulky stuff, making bargains for everyone. Last year, I got a 34" widescreen CRT HDTV for $350 (retail $1200+) and it's been great.

BTW if you want to control costs, take a look at your local craiglist.org in the electronics section. People are jumping all over the plasma and LCD screens, dumping their bulky stuff, making bargains for everyone. Last year, I got a 34" widescreen CRT HDTV for $350 (retail $1200+) and it's been great.

Yep, HDTV is really quite affordable depending on the technology you use. Especially if you are willing to go with a CRT or rear projection.

I bought a magazine a couple days ago, Ultimate Xbox Buyer's Guide, and it had a section on HDTVs. They had a Toshiba one that was priced fair. I found the same thing and another one, only with more features on their website.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/pr...sp?model=26hf66

I typed the model number on eBay, and found it for about $480 refurbished including shipping. Its a 26 inch and its big enough for me.

Just say no to HD until prices are reasonable. Take the 360 back and get something nice for the wife, keep her happy ;)

Oh, i assure you, the 360 keeps her happy. This was our conversation about what to do with the gift cards:

Me: What do you want to go get at Target?

Wife: I don't know, how about we wait and get a Wii?

Me: Not unless we wanna camp. It'll be a while before that's easy.

Wife: How about a 360?

Me: Yyyyeeesss!

We had just played Ultimate Alliance at a friends' house on his 360, and she wanted it bad (she was a huge X-Men Legends fan). She also knew, on her own, that buying it for the XBox when there was a better version available was a sucker's plan. :D (The moral here seems to be that i have the best wife ever, i think... :lust: )

As far as the TV goes, we talked about it a bit and i think we're going to end up with somewhere around a 42" Widescreen LCD Projection. They're cheaper than the flat panel LCDs, and immune to screen burn. 42" is just enough of an upgrade for me to really notice it, but not too bad to move since we're still languishing in apartment hell.

At least she thought of the Wii first, that means she goes to heaven ;)

Hope you're enjoying the 360. I must get round to buying one someday. Right now, it's the DS and the final arrival of decent games for the PSP that's occupying my gaming time (and budget).

Stop typing stuff and get Oblivion.

Seriously.

Stop reading this too.

Are you still reading ?

(Call of Duty, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Project Gotham Racing, and of course Gears of War (next week... midnight launch at most stores) should find their way into your collection as well.

As for Wii, I'm all signed up, but am still pissed that I am paying that much just for Zelda.

I was excited to have both systems (for the price of a PS3), but other than Zelda and Wii Sports (because it's free) there is nothing I see as must haves in the foreseeable future.

But I can't say no to Zelda. (I suck.)

Edited by therealred5

Stop typing stuff and get Oblivion.

Seriously.

Stop reading this too.

Are you still reading ?

(Call of Duty, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Project Gotham Racing, and of course Gears of War (next week... midnight launch at most stores) should find their way into your collection as well.

As for Wii, I'm all signed up, but am still pissed that I am paying that much just for Zelda.

I was excited to have both systems (for the price of a PS3), but other than Zelda and Wii Sports (because it's free) there is nothing I see as must haves in the foreseeable future.

But I can't say no to Zelda. (I suck.)

Thanks for the recommendations, Oblivion is definitely on my to-get list. :) As is Gears of War, eventually.

Oh hey, i'm just gonna throw in this question here: I happened to run across the 360 launch issue of EGM lying around my house today, and noticed that the premium package was listed as having the Media Remote included, and a 20GB hard drive. Mine seems to have a 12GB hard drive, and there was no remote included or mentioned on the box. What gives? Are they actually giving you less for your money now, or was EGM inaccurate?

I have a LCD 720p front projector that projects onto a 76" screen. That was $800. The picture is fantastic. I also got a 32" widescreen 720p LCD television for my living room on sale for $700 which was a great deal. The picture is great. You can get a 52" rear-projection HD CRT right now for around $900. While they are incredibly heavy and bulky you simply cannot find a better picture then what that has to offer. HD is not that expensive. People are full of crap.When I bought my first HDTV set it was a lot different. It was right after the release of the XBox. I purchased a 27" 4:3 CRT that could do 480p and 1080i. It cost me $800. It is a lot different today.

Get Oblivion along with your new television and blow your socks off. If you are interested in XBLA get Geometry Wars and Marble Blast Ultra.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Oh hey, i'm just gonna throw in this question here: I happened to run across the 360 launch issue of EGM lying around my house today, and noticed that the premium package was listed as having the Media Remote included, and a 20GB hard drive. Mine seems to have a 12GB hard drive, and there was no remote included or mentioned on the box. What gives? Are they actually giving you less for your money now, or was EGM inaccurate?

It is a 20GB drive, but they have 8GB worth of other stuff on there like system info and such. So you only get 12GB really. Its very misleading. And don't forget that you can play some regular XBox too. I usually download extra levels and, play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory online. Its quite an experience playing as a mercenary and getting dragged into a dark spot to get your neck snapped.

Edited by xenomorpher

Mine seems to have a 12GB hard drive, and there was no remote included or mentioned on the box. What gives? Are they actually giving you less for your money now, or was EGM inaccurate?

The launch systems (and maybe the first shipment thereafter) included a small, reduced-functionality remote control and had a sticker on the box saying so. That promo was billed as limited time only and has now passed.

As mentioned earlier, your drive is in fact 20 Gigabytes, minus a variety of videos, demos, updates and system files. Head over to the System blade in the Dashboard and poke around in the Memory area ... you'll probably find some stuff you don't need or want and free up plenty of space.

Oh hey, i'm just gonna throw in this question here: I happened to run across the 360 launch issue of EGM lying around my house today, and noticed that the premium package was listed as having the Media Remote included, and a 20GB hard drive.

Launch premium 360s included a bonus media remote. No free remote now :)

And yes - Oblivion! Worth buying the entire system for alone :lust: :D

Once again message boards have shown me the way. I took the helpful advice given to me, and purchased Oblivion today. Oh my god. I heart this game.

Bonus: I managed to find the collector's edition used and in good shape, priced the same as the regular version at Gamestop. The history book included is pretty sweet.

Once again message boards have shown me the way. I took the helpful advice given to me, and purchased Oblivion today. Oh my god. I heart this game.

Ok Well it was nice meeting you, I guess we'll see you on the boards in a few weeks. Be sure and say farwell to life as you know it for awhile. :cool:

(Yeah I'm speaking from experience, I think I have like 130 hours put into Oblivion.)