IGNORED

Does the Wii count as Nintendo's 5th console?

homerwannabee

The reason I bring this up is Atari and Nintendo both hold the record of producing 4 different consoles.

For Atari they are the 2600, 5200, 7800, and Jaguar

For Nintendo they are the Nes, SNES, Nintendo 64, and the gamecube.

Some people are calling the Wii a Suped up Gamecube because they both have the same chip.

In a sense you could call this system Gamecube Extended.

If the Wii is actually considered a new console than Nintendo will have the record of having produced 5 different consoles.

So I guess my question is because Nintendo still has the same game chip can it be qualified as a new console?

Some people are calling the Wii a Suped up Gamecube because they both have the same chip.

That's kind of ridiculous. It's like claiming the 7800 is a souped-up* 2600. If the Wii can play games the 'Cube can't, then it's a new console.

*Off-topic: I used to think it had to be "suped" (as in "super") too. But I looked it up and it really is "souped." I can't remember the precise definition/etymology, but it was convincing.

SG1000 is a Sega console, in fact it was their first programmable one. Over in Japan where it came out, they called the Master System the Mark III, as it was a souped up SG-1000. As far as I know it wasn't physically backwards compatible, but SMS emulators tend to be able to run SG1000 roms without difficulty.

SG-1000 is also pretty closely related to the Colecovision.

Oh for Christ's sake, the Wii is a new console. This is just silly.

However, I wouldn't say it's the fifth. I've always hated this distinction between handhelds and 'proper' consoles. It's dumb. A console is a games machine that you can add games to via media (cartridge, CD etc.). A DS is as viable a console as the Gamecube, say.

So, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Virtual Boy, N64, Pokemon mini, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, DS, Wii

That's 10.

Of course, there were variations of the GB and GBA but since their main host games (ie. not counting backwards compatibility) were the same, I'd class them as the same machine. You could, at a push, class the GB color as a seperate console because it had titles that wouldn't play on the previous gen. Gameboy.

A console is defined by the games that it plays, not by its hardware. If they took most of the guts from an N64, made it capable of handling a handful more polygons, and added a CD ROM drive, and then made games for it for the next 4 years, that wouldn't run on the N64 or anything else, then yes, it'd be their new console. It'd be similar to an earlier console, and it'd be a hardware downgrade, but if that's what the new games play on, and they call it their new console, then yes, it's a new console.

In writing that, I realize I don't know what I think of the Sega CD or Jag. CD.

Edited by Atarifever

I've always treated it that if there is software that will only run on the particular hardware, it's a new console. So with that, both the 32X and Sega CD are separate consoles. But the Genesis 1, Genesis 2, and Genesis 3 are one console. Yea, I know there are some incompatibilites, but you get the idea. There are specific 32X only games and specific Sega CD games. Same with the Jag/Jag CD and even the Gameboy/Color/Advance/DS line. As long as it has software that is specifically for it, it's a separate console.

Hey Hey wait a sec Atari 4 consoles? As far as I know Pong units and gaming consoles too right?

Atari Pong

Atari Super Pong

Atari Super Pong 10

Atari Ultra Pong

Atari Ultra Pong Double

Atari Video Pinball

Atari Stunt Cycle

Atari Touch Me

Atari Video Computer System (6 buttons)

Atari Video Computer System (4 buttons)

Atari 2600 (Darth Vader)

Atari 2600 Jr (Small Rainbow)

Atari 2600 Jr (Lager Rainbow)

Atari 5200 (2 Controller Port)

Atari 5200 (4 Controller Port)

Atari 7800

Atari Lynx

Atari Lynx (second model)

Atari Jaguar

Atari Jag CD

Atari 400

Atari 800

Atari 1200XL

Atari XE System

And dont for get Nintendo and Sega stuff:

Nintendo Color-TV Game 6

Nintendo Color-TV Game 15

Nintendo Color-TV Racing112

Nintendo Color-TV Block Kusure

Nintendo Computer TV Game

Nintendo Famicom

Nintendo Entertaiment System

Nintendo NES Small Unit

Nintendo Super Famicom

Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo N64 (Japan)

Nintendo N64

Nintendo Gamecube (Japan)

Nintendo Gamcube (US)

Nintendo Game Boy (Japan)

Nintendo Game Boy (US)

Nintendo Game Boy Pocket

Nintendo Game Boy Color

Nintendo Game Boy Light (Japan)

Nintendo Virtual Boy (US)

Nintendo Game Boy Advance (Japan)

Nintendo Game Boy Advance (US)

Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP (Japan)

Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP (US)

Nintendo DS

---------------------------------------- -------------

Sega SG-1000

Sega SG-3000

Sega SG-7000

Sega Mark III (aka Master System)

Sega Master System

Sega Master System 2

Sega Mega Drive

Sega Genesis

Sega Genesis 2

Sega Genesis 3

Sega Mega Drive CD (First Model)

Sega Genesis CD

Sega Genesis CD (Second Model)

Sega Game Gear (Japan)

Sega Game Gear (US)

Sega 32X (Japan)

Sega 32X (US)

Sega Nomad

Sega Saturn (Japan)

Sega Saturn (US)

Sega Dreamcast (Japan)

Sega Dreamcast (US)

If you are gonna count all those pong variations and touch me then you would need to count Nintendo's game and watch handhelds too. Personally I go with this :

Atari 2600 (first real console)

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Atari XE Game System

Atari Jaguar

Lynx, pong, touch me, Atari computers (800,400,XL/XE/ST/FALCON) were not consoles... the XE game system was a computer remarketed as a console, so it counts.

NES

SNES

N64

Gamecube

WII

Sorry but the Game boy's, GBA, Virt Boy, and DS are not consoles.

Nintendo can claim their first two systems were dominant and the last two were at least relevant. The jury is still out on the WII but judging from Nintendo's success with the DS and the buzz they are generating I think the WII will do better then their last two consoles. Atari really only had a firm grasp on the market with the 2600, the 5200 was still in stores and somewhat popular but most people didn't even know the 7800, XEGS, or Jag existed.

I believe that one of the internal codenames/nicknames used for the Wii was "N5." N for Nintendo, 5 for the 5th console in the series (NES, SNES, N64, Cube, N5). The other nickname was "Revolution," of course.

I'm not wacko for any of the Wii names, personally -- it's probably a reflection of my opinion of the Wii in general. Yeah, I guess I'm annoyed that the Virtual Console games seem like a ripoff to me.

At best they are tied with Atari...you forgot to mention the XEGS. ;)

That's not a new system though. It's just a souped-up 5200. :P

And the 5200 is just a 400 in a black case sans keyboard.

...and a nyah-nyah to you sir. :P :D :P

Ah, but the 400 was a computer, not a game system. So the 5200 was a game system based on a computer. Basically the XBox of it's day.

Hmmm, that WOULD explain the size...

:D

i agree with kevin242 on the GameBoys etc..

anything designed to go on the run is a handheld..

and the Wii is defineately the 5th.. if i was running a console company i wouldnt personally feel any pride in having the most consoles ever made..

id rather have one console and have it be the dominent one for the longest period of time.. much more of a challenge.

and the Wii is defineately the 5th.. if i was running a console company i wouldnt personally feel any pride in having the most consoles ever made..

id rather have one console and have it be the dominent one for the longest period of time.. much more of a challenge.

The NES/Famicom had a very strong run.

And face it, tech ages. More systems means you've kept your head above water longer than other people. So it's still something to be proud of.

Unless you made it to the top of the list by releasing 4 systems a year or counting cosmetic changes as new systems or something else silly like that.

Sorry but the Game boy's, GBA, Virt Boy, and DS are not consoles.

And how is a handheld not a console? Is it the use of mains electricity that makes a games machine? Do batteries and a built in screen really make that much difference?

As for the virtual boy, what's that then? It's certainly not a handheld, though it has a built in display. If that isn't a console then the Vectrex is also not a console.

This is silly.

Look at the PC Engine, for instance. Few would doubt that it's a console. Then take the PC Engine GT. It even plays the same games but, because it's a handheld form factor, I guess it doesn't qualify, huh?

Edited by liveinabin

SG1000 is a Sega console, in fact it was their first programmable one. Over in Japan where it came out, they called the Master System the Mark III, as it was a souped up SG-1000. As far as I know it wasn't physically backwards compatible, but SMS emulators tend to be able to run SG1000 roms without difficulty.

The Mark III (& Japanese Master System) are 100% backwards-compatible with SG-1000 games, and can also run the SC-3000 educational carts if used in conjunction with the SK-1100 keyboard.

Sega SG-1000

Sega SG-3000

Sega SG-7000

There's no such thing as an SG-3000 or SG-7000. The SC-3000 is the same technology as the SG-1000 but in computer form, and the SF-7000 is a memory expansion/disk-drive add-on for the SC-3000.

Also, why list seperate US & Japanese versions of each system but not mention their European, Brazilian, Australian, Asian or Korean counterparts?

All the Sega lists in this thread have also overlooked the Pico.

Hell yes the Wii is a new console. Despite its architectural heritage, it still has significant changes over the Gamecube and games written for it are not backwards compatible with the Gamecube. I think Sony and Xbox fanboys have mostly been using this, "The Wii is just a glorified Gamecube" line to try and discredit the Wii.

..Al