IGNORED

Curt Vendel = best retro hardware designer thus far!

I've just about had it with plug-n-play and dedicated portable game systems. So many of them are poorly thought out, and stink of "cash-in," and it's hard to tell the good from the bad. Jakks, TechnoSource, Coleco, and "Intellivision" have all tried to make replica systems, but more often than not, they leave some vital element of gameplay design out of it. Often, the games only have a superficial resemblance to the old games they're trying to recreate. This does a disservice both to retro enthusiasts (like us, who want the "real thing") and new purchasers (like kids, who will unfairly think that old games are no good).

The BEST retro device so far, BY FAR, has been the Atari Flashback 2. Why?

+ It uses "VCS on a chip" technology rather than simulation on different hardware, so the games are authentic

+ It uses detachable, reusable, intercompatible, authentic-feeling replica controls

+ The designers went out of their way to get homebrew designs on the device in addition to the old stuff

+ The device included 2 great Activision licensed games

+ The designers made it "enthusiast friendly" by making it (relatively) easy to add a cartridge port

+ Easter eggs!

Compared to the FB2, other devices in the marketplace are just cheap wannabees. I know that Atari is having a rough time financially, but it would be GREAT to see another device come out of Curt's mind. The Flashback 3 would be terrific to see, so long as he and his team is on the project.

What do you think?

P.S. Runner-up for my favorite retro device is Jeri Ellsworth's C64-in-a-stick for many of the same reasons. It would be great to see these two work together on a project, too!

I second everything that Flojomojo says here. If you're just going to reprogram the games for a NOAC, then offer a controller that doesn't replicate the feel of the original, all you're doing is making a product that's WORSE than emulation. At least with emulated games, you're playing the original game. You still don't have the feel of the original system, but the game is (mostly) correct.

With a reprogrammed game, you're getting a programmer's interpretation of the original title. While that's great for upgrades to a game (e.g. Champ Games), it doesn't hold up well when you're telling people that it's the same as the original. Customers know the difference. They may not all be looking for the Easter Egg in Adventure, but they will have a "this isn't as good as I remember it" reaction.

Both the Intellivision and Coleco units are perfect examples of how to NOT make a Plug and Play unit. Atari did decent ports to the NOAC on their original joystick and FB1, but that was when the concept was new. Now that we've been exposed to the real thing via the FB2, we don't want to go back. Only the FB2 captures the feel of the original system. That's something that no other PnP on the market can claim. Not even the C64DTV. (The C64DTV is nice work that does a great job playing the original games, but the hardware feels a bit different than using an actual C64.)

Ask any AtariAger, and you'll get the same answer. Either give us an FB3 from Legacy Engineering, or don't give us one at all. :)

I second everything that Flojomojo says here. If you're just going to reprogram the games for a NOAC, then offer a controller that doesn't replicate the feel of the original, all you're doing is making a product that's WORSE than emulation. At least with emulated games, you're playing the original game. You still don't have the feel of the original system, but the game is (mostly) correct.

With a reprogrammed game, you're getting a programmer's interpretation of the original title. While that's great for upgrades to a game (e.g. Champ Games), it doesn't hold up well when you're telling people that it's the same as the original. Customers know the difference. They may not all be looking for the Easter Egg in Adventure, but they will have a "this isn't as good as I remember it" reaction.

Both the Intellivision and Coleco units are perfect examples of how to NOT make a Plug and Play unit. Atari did decent ports to the NOAC on their original joystick and FB1, but that was when the concept was new. Now that we've been exposed to the real thing via the FB2, we don't want to go back. Only the FB2 captures the feel of the original system. That's something that no other PnP on the market can claim. Not even the C64DTV. (The C64DTV is nice work that does a great job playing the original games, but the hardware feels a bit different than using an actual C64.)

Ask any AtariAger, and you'll get the same answer. Either give us an FB3 from Legacy Engineering, or don't give us one at all. :)

Agreed. Just let the Flashback 3 have Jr. Pac-man and Baby pac-Man as an added in bonus.lol

Ya if ATARI doesn't get Curt to build another porduct for them they really are gonna loose out on alot of cash something like the FB3 would bring in. Hell I'll buy a couple for sure. I bought the FB1 and a couple of the FB2's so I'm for sure gonna get the next one.

Thing about Curt that I know is that he puts ALOT of thought into his products and for the most part comes up with a quality result.

For example, from a commercial standpoint the awecades unit is very well thought out and includes alot of provisions companies who are interested in licensing their stuff would consider important.

Too me he seems to strike a good balance between making something easy for the average consumer just to pick up and go and yet the diehard hobbiest like us can get more use out of. Something certainly not easy to do.

That being said I was a bit dissapointed at the news about the FB3. Glad to see though that it may actually get picked up. In these overcrowded days of dedicated systems it pays to stand out with a quality product.

Curt's FB2 was more fun than any other re-issue I've ever played, my treasured PS1 retro discs included.

Curt's the real deal. I played COMBAT today...full of all the gameplay, little bugs and fun I remember.

Curt makes it, I'll pre-order it, just like I did for the FB2. Best 40 bucks I ever spent here in Canada. I thought the sticks would've died long ago, but they're still going...

Guys,

Is the FB2 still available in the USA? If so, would any of you be willing to pick one up for me and parcel post to Oz? I can pay via PayPal.

According to Curt there will never be a PAL FB2 so I will have to get a NTSC unit from the States and the previous offers of sending me a FB2 ended in unanswered emails etc.