IGNORED

Lost Mail

Paul Slocum

Just curious: Have any of you had items lost in the mail? My ebay rating is only 42 and I haven't done a huge amount of trades, but I've actually never had anything lost in the mail. I had one item damaged (Atari 2600 Jr. case cracked). But based on my experience so far, it seems like paying for insurance is only worthwhile in special cases.

One time I thought a couple of Commodore +4 computers were lost on their way to Italy, but about 60 days later when I was about to claim the insurance they showed up.

-Paul

I don't have much experience with international shipping but if the package is being mailed within the U.S. and doesn't really warrant insurance, I try and make it a point to ask the seller to at least MAKE SURE he puts on Delivery Confirmation on packages to be mailed to me. It's only 40 cents extra and of course you can track it via the USPS website.

Conversely if I'm mailing out the package I pretty much always include delivery confirmation (and associated 40 cent fee) by default. That way there's hopefully no question.

Oh and to answer your question, I've never lost a package nor lost a package being sent to me, but of course I imagine it does happen to many people. But I figure that with Delivery Confirmation at least you'd know the package was in fact sent, and received at a certain place before getting lost rather than being totally in the dark about what the heck happened to it or if it was even ever sent.

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

Just curious: Have any of you had items lost in the mail? My ebay rating is only 42 and I haven't done a huge amount of trades, but I've actually never had anything lost in the mail. I had one item damaged (Atari 2600 Jr. case cracked). But based on my experience so far, it seems like paying for insurance is only worthwhile in special cases.

One time I thought a couple of Commodore +4 computers were lost on their way to Italy, but about 60 days later when I was about to claim the insurance they showed up.

-Paul

I've had 2 packages "lost" in the mail in the past month. I put lost in "'s because there is still a chance they'll still show up.. but I've already sent out replacements.

This is out of about 275 packages BTW.