IGNORED

Vectrex Service Manual possible fraud on EBAY

MrRetroGamer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1347749065

Bid is $47 with 7 hours to go on a fancy spiral bound Vectrex Service Manual. However, this item is available as a free PDF download from here:

http://www.classicgaming.com/vectrex/archive.htm

and it seems that while this may be authentic, it also may not be. Furthermore, if you look at the picture in the auction, the contents page has the same exact rubber stamp type markings from GCE in the same exact positions as the PDF file. Is this just a coincidence or is it the same document, just printed out and bound up in a fancy spiral binding???? I don't expect to hear back from the seller before the end of the auction, and since the seller is not well established (feedback of 2) I really have doubts. I do feel sorry for someone who spends this much for an item they can get for free.

I guess I'm the only one who sees this as "not-quite-right". I would say that by NOT stating that this was a reprint, the item is being misrepresented. Oh well, whatever. I guess EBAY is full of suckers willing to spend $66 dollars for something that can be had for free, that is the beauty of online auctions - a sucker is born every minute and is bidding on EBAY even more often than that!

Hey, any of you guys want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge from me, I'm going to print up a nice deed and everything.

Actually, the seller did reply to me - after the auction was over. It is not original, as suspected, just a fancy printed copy of the Adobe file that is freely available.

His reply:

It is a re-production in a spiral binding, if for some reason you got the impression it was an ORIGINAL copy from GCE, and wanted it for its historical value and not its technical content, I apologize.

It saves a lot of grief for all parties if you are clear up front, although in this case it sounds like it just didn't occur to the seller to mention the origin. He might have an unhappy customer if the winner is purchasing for collectible value.

On the other hand, certain people might bid more for it if they want it for technical reasons, given that it is nicely bound and freshly printed. Each has its value, but to different groups of people which is why it's good to be clear.

I agree that the auction is misleading. But since he never claimed that it's original, it's not really fraud.

I think you'd have to be pretty foolish to assume that any service manual is original since they can be duplicated so easily. Many ORIGINAL tech manuals were just xerox copies.

-Paul

Nobody answered my question as to where he got it. I went to the site and it was not available there. I'm assuming it would be available on other sites, but again, he took the time to print it, use his printer ink, punch it, and bind it, so to me he is earning his money.

If you aren't satisfied that he didn't state it was a copy, ok, I can understand that. But people sell copies of things all the time, i.e. tv shows on video tapes.

Phil