IGNORED

The Case for the Flashback 3 (and for Legacy Engineering)

I like it. Or maybe a 5200 console with a 400 style keyboard would be really good :)

But half the size so I can fit it in my house :D

Black looks good btw

This would be less than half the size! :cool:

post-9874-1173566326_thumb.jpg

half the size, but very 2600 vader looking, can't we remember atari for anything else?

half the size, but very 2600 vader looking, can't we remember atari for anything else?

I understand your frustration about remembering only the 2600, but I want people to remember the context of why I made my FB3 pic look the way I did. I think a totally new looking product would be great, but that would require a lot of advertising resources that I don't think Atari wants to spend money on. Heck they probably don't have the money.

Here is my original post:

When and if there's ever a new Flashback, the thing to remember is it's MARKETABILITY.

Marketability for the Flashback 2 (and 1) was there because almost every kid had a 2600. Now these same kids as adults is what has driven the sales of FB2.

Now there is so much talk on here of the FB3 as a consoled Atari 800 computer. Many fewer kids had an Atari 800 computer than ever had an Atari 2600. The reality is those home computers were bought by a much smaller demographic, which would suggest that an FB3 based on the Atari 800 would have LESS marketability than the FB2 based on the Atari 2600 console system.

Honestly, rather than wet dreams of retro hardware hacking, I'd rather see perhaps a FB3 similar to the FB2. The same 2600 retro console with more games AND a set of paddles included in the box with the paddle games accessable without the easter egg feature currently embedded in the FB2. I'd like to see Atari outreach to other publishers like they did to Activision. I'd like to see Parker Brother's Frogger in the FB3. Maybe a couple other Activision games like Megamania and Chopper Command. THAT is what the FB3 should be!

www.policelimit.com

I originally wanted the FB3 to be a laptop type computer or look like a 5200, but I think you are right. Must people recognize the 2600 (even though they don't know it was called a 2600, they just recognize the shape). When you ask people (outside of AtariAge) what video game system they first had, they will say "an Atari". To most people Atari is the VCS or 2600, but they don't know the systems name they just know it was an Atari. A lot of these people don't even know there was a system after the 2600. That got me thinking, I think the new FB3 should still be based on an 800XL but put in a 2600 vader like unit (see pic). You might think this is odd, but think about it for a minute:

1) The average consumer would recognize the 2600 shape (more sales!)

2) Atari would save mass amounts money getting it made (re-use the molds, retail box with new art & box inserts!)

3) We the atari fans would have a FB that we could mod into a full atari computer!

4) It would be way cool to have chrome buttons (OK that is a stretch, but still)

I think this might work, but then again maybe I'm thinking alittle too much about it. :cool:

post-9874-1168830596_thumb.jpg

I reckon the Flashback 2 case will be used again in future Flashback products.

It makes sense that Atari will make more Flashback 2's with different games and maybe new controllers. I'd love to see a joystick/paddle hybrid controller. They've already done the expensive part and designed the casework and 2600 on a chip.

I reckon the Flashback 2 case will be used again in future Flashback products.

It makes sense that Atari will make more Flashback 2's with different games and maybe new controllers. I'd love to see a joystick/paddle hybrid controller. They've already done the expensive part and designed the casework and 2600 on a chip.

but IIRC its an 8 bit :D