IGNORED

Do you plan on getting a Wii or PS3 this year?

Rhindle The Red

Do you plan on getting a Wii or PS3 this year?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on getting a Wii or PS3 this year?

• Yes. A Wii.
    • Yes. A PS3.
    • Yes. Both.
    • No.
    • Undecided.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think I'll have both - In 10 years or so, when people start throwing them away :)

exactly how i do it.....wait about 4 or 5 years...til the price goes down really low and actually AFFORDABLE :cool: didnt get ma PS2 until about 3 years after launch

"Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis.....when I was dead broke man, I couldn't picture this." - Notorious B.I.G. (so true ma friend) :D

I'm still pretty darned content with my Xbox.

I don't see the major advantage. The way I look at it, the jump from a 2600 to a 5200 allowed you to do things that the 2600 just couldn't do. Likewise the jump from a 5200 to a NES, a NES to a Genesis, a Genesis to a PS-1, a PS-1 to an Xbox. There was a clear step up in ability.

This is more of an evolutionary thing. Same type of games, same type of graphics, just "better"... and by better, another incremental step toward photo-realstic 3D graphics.

Maybe if someone gets me hooked on a killer app on one console or the other... but I don't see it. I see these as being another platform full of driving games, 3D platformers, and FPSers.

AMEN, Paranoid! I don't see any real difference between the PS2 and the PS3 (except the ridiculous price.) Besides, most of those games can be played on the PC, which I prefer anyway. :)

The last system I actually bought for myself was the Atari 2600. I've played other systems, but I've never liked the "multi-button" controllers...even back when the NES came out. Give me one joystick and one fire/jump button and I'm happy as a clam. :)

However, if I HAD to buy a system (gun to my head and all) I'd probably go with the Wii. But since that scenario will never happen, I'm happy with my PC and my 2600. :)

I'm happy with handhelds right now. If the definition of a next gen machine is one that'll play games that weren't previously possible last gen., then I've got all the next gen. goodness I need in the DS.

The PS2 will be my last console. I am NOT getting into the next gen systems. The PS3 is just too expensive, and I don't feel like buying a new system just to play the same games but with better graphics. As for the GameCube 2, I mean Wii, I have no interest in that system whatsoever. I'm not interested in playing the same Nintendo garbage that Nintendo rehashes with every new console in a gimmicky new way. Bah! Sure, the "virtual console" idea on the Wii is nice. But why would I bother to buy a Wii to play NES, SNES, or even Sega Genesis games when I can download emulators & ROMs for free off the web for play on my PC?

Yep, the PS2 will be it. The only thing I'm looking forward to when the next gen starts is all the PS2 software that will be on clearance to make room for next gen software. I'll be stocking up on $9.99 titles like crazy.

I'm happy with handhelds right now. If the definition of a next gen machine is one that'll play games that weren't previously possible last gen., then I've got all the next gen. goodness I need in the DS.

Ah, the DS is a frickin' joke with it's gimmicky features.

Most of the time the second screen is useless. In my opinion, Nintendo just added a second screen for gamers who are just too lazy to press START or SELECT to call up a map or inventory screen.

And the touch screen control? Bah! Give me good old digital D-pad control any day over that crap!

But the main reason why the DS sucks is because the idiots at Nintendo did not give it the ability to play GB and GBC games.

With that the case, NOTHING beats the GBA SP. There is still 2D gaming goodness left in the good old GBA SP with titles like Swordcraft Story 2, Super Robot Taisen, Scurge: Hive, and more. And let's not forget the retrogaming goodness the GBA-SP has as well with Konami Arcade Advanced, Atari Anniversary Advance, Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits, Namco Museum, and Activision Anthology.

For handheld gaming, nothing beats the GBA SP. And it plays GB and GBC games.

The last console I bought was an Intellivision. I do all my gaming on the PC, including my retro gaming (don't want to wear out the original equipment. ;) ) Most of my favorite modern-era games were never available on a console (Starcraft, Warcrafts I through III, Diablo I and II, Populous the Beginning, Ultima 9, Civ, Steel Soldiers, several MMORPGs, etc.) PC games seem to have more of a soul than the console games.

However, I do hope the Wii does well. Broadcom has some chips in there. ;)

nice to see a dead heat in this yes vs no

mine is a no, i said i wouldnt get an xbox or GC but i have them both only because of deals i couldnt pass up, i wont get a ps2 or ps3 even after market used, the company just makes my stomach turn

i wont get a wii because of the online thing, home consoles should be internet free, thats what computers are for and im almost to the point of giving up the computer also after this past week of dealing with a motherboard failure and a cpu/isp software conflict that kept shutting off the computer.

my modern gaming days are over, im back to playing my Genesis/Saturn when i had the most fun playing games

Okay, people. Whose got the dosh and the time it'll take to get one of these babies?

I have neither the cash nor incentive to get any of the new consoles this year. These days I find I have no desire to pay top dollar for the buggiest version of a console just so I can play the least impressive (launch titles) titles that'll exist for it due to companies still learning how to tap the power of the consoles. ;)

If there's a game for the consoles I absolutely must play, then I'll probably buy the game itself, and stow it away til the console prices drop. Consoles are going to always be available for it during it's lifetime, and will become cheaper as time goes by. A game may become impossible to find however. :D

If I pick any of the consoles up next year (or the next year after!) it'll probably be the Wii as I'd like to play Twilight Princess at some point. (With Twilight Princess being something I'll probably buy after christmas.)

If there's a game for the consoles I absolutely must play, then I'll probably buy the game itself, and stow it away til the console prices drop. Consoles are going to always be available for it during it's lifetime, and will become cheaper as time goes by. A game may become impossible to find however. :D

Game prices drop, too ... and most are readily available all the time. Why buy a game you can't play?

I think the blu ray drive is the most interesting thing about the PS3 and even though the price is high it's not much, if any, higher than other blue ray players so it's like getting the gaming stuff for free Of course if you have no need for blu ray then you don't need nay of it I guess. I have the HDTV but am not really the technophile type that needs every new thing right away so I figure I will probably get a PS3 but it may not be until Xmas 2007. I still can't bring myself to buy anything Xbox just because I hate MS that much.

I just got my pre-order for the Wii this Sunday. I'm kind of excited to see how the new Nintendo console does against the PS3 & Xbox 360. I have a 360 and I'll probably get a PS3 at some later date. I just cannot bring myself to drop $699 on a console, even with the Blu-Ray player built in. While HD movies look great on my 50" Sony xsrd TV, I don't feel like going out and re-buying movies I already own. Plus, there's not one launch game for the PS3 that I must play. Hell, I waited until this summer to buy a 360 (when I got the premium 360 via Overstock.com for $360 shipped) and the only 360 games I currently own are Madden 2006 (bought used for $13) and Gears of War. I'm really pumped for Nintendo's system. I just don't know whether to connect it to my HD TV or my 27" SD TV.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted no. I'm not playing as much as I used to and am now sure if I could justify the cost of either (especially the PS3). If the Wii were to come out with at least 5 games I felt were must-haves (and they weren't available on a system I have now) then I might cave...

We will be buying a Wii but probably not until February when we will have the time to play with it and there may be some post-Xmas bundled specials going in the stores.

I should change my vote as there we were on Saturday, going through the junk mail, escaping from the 41.5 degrees (centigrade) heat and She Who Must Be Obeyed sees a Wii bundle on special at Target and decides that would be a great way to spend the day when it is too hot to do anything else.

Who am I to disagree with a Domestic Directive such as that?

Problem is they were out of stock already so we had to get a raincheck and it will arrive next week.

So we will be getting a Wii this year after all.

• 4 weeks later...