IGNORED

Joystick question

I've got two CX-40B joysticks and the Flashback 2 they came with. After a year, one of the joysticks is finally giving up the ghost, I think.

Everyone knows about the four pins inside that break of and rattle around. I've read that the screw part breaks off the base next. Of course, if all four pins break off and the stick comes unscrewed, you have to take the controller apart to screw it back in.

Has anyone got a working FB2 stick that has none of the plastic pins on that inner base? I'm thinking about just gluing the plastic threads and screwing the stick into the base nice and tight. It grips the rubber pretty tight, and it isn't unscrewing, but one of these days it'll come off and I won't have a screwdriver or a Pro Line handy...

I tried gluing both the stick and the threads. No luck so far. The stick starts coming back apart after moderate use. I've tried both Elmers glue and clear Crafting glue. I'll probably try some superglue next.

The biggest problem seems to be that the glue never gets a chance to dry, even when left out for a day or two. Because the parts are flush, they end up hermetically sealing themselves, thus preventing any sort of airflow. The plastic also doesn't appear to be very porous, so the glue just sort of sits as if it were still in the bottle. It would be nice if I could find a way to cure the glue that didn't involve drying. (Maybe it's time to hit Home Depot for the heavy duty stuff? :ponder:)

I'll let you know if I find a good solution. :)

Use PVC glue which is specifically designed to "weld" plastics together, use VERY sparingly and also in a very well ventilated space - that stuff stinks and gives almost instant headaches.

Curt

I tried gluing both the stick and the threads. No luck so far. The stick starts coming back apart after moderate use. I've tried both Elmers glue and clear Crafting glue. I'll probably try some superglue next.

The biggest problem seems to be that the glue never gets a chance to dry, even when left out for a day or two. Because the parts are flush, they end up hermetically sealing themselves, thus preventing any sort of airflow. The plastic also doesn't appear to be very porous, so the glue just sort of sits as if it were still in the bottle. It would be nice if I could find a way to cure the glue that didn't involve drying. (Maybe it's time to hit Home Depot for the heavy duty stuff? :ponder:)

I'll let you know if I find a good solution. :)

Maybe it's time to hit Home Depot for the heavy duty stuff?
Use PVC glue which is specifically designed to "weld" plastics together, use VERY sparingly and also in a very well ventilated space - that stuff stinks and gives almost instant headaches.

I guess it is time for the heavy stuff. :lol:

Thanks for the tip, Curt! I'll check that out. :)