IGNORED

Sudoku 800 Version.

idavis

Nice looking Sudoku; I also like the digits.

I'd suggest: the cursor is hard to follow (it disappears! :lol:) when you hold the joystick in a direction. It is also, just a little bit, too easy to move more spaces than you intend.

Also - what does the "hint" do? I figured out how to use it, but I couldn't tell if it did anything.

And there are probably lots of reasons that A8 folks don't pop in here very often, no big deal - it's just as easy for those of us who are interested to stick our heads in there as it is for them to stick their heads in here. :)

Back to Sudoku - I would *maybe* buy a cart. Maybe. I just don't particularly like non-paper Sudoku. Well, and I kinda burned myself out on Sudoku about 4 months ago after a several-months binge. I'm back to crosswords. ;) On the other hand, I'd like some more shiny carts for my 130XE to go along with Beef Drop. :D

EDIT:

maybe i invest several months to do a

10 value=random(255)

20 input "Make a guess";choice

30 if choice=value then print "You win!":end

40 print "wrong":goto20

Curses! :x You beat me to it. Back to the drawing board...:evil:

Edited by vdub_bobby

Hint will go through the puzzle, and check your entries. If they are wrong, it will blank it back out, and deduct 20 points. You also lose 500 points for using the hint. It's a disincentive, since my daughter thought on a earlier version she was being clever just putting in a number and then checking it until she had finished the puzzle. She wasn't too happy to have the score go down, and be limited to 4 attempts. I am game for calling it something other than "Hint". It was just what was in my mind at the time.

I have another of the same version with a more Red cursor. Right now, I have a rudimentary loop structure in to pause the cursor a little. I will look more into something using the timers for a more exact pause between movement.

My take on the location of the posting of the game is this. I definitely want to make a cartridge out of this. I am not out to get rich as I am keenly aware of my being about 20+ years too late on that front. I wouldn't mind if there were a number of them sold. I have the hardware and equipment to crank out a minimum of one, which has at a minimum been my goal the whole time. I can see the arguments both ways about where the post is made. I want to leave the final decision to the board Admins.

Symantic question. Would it be a good idea if I post yet another copy with a different cursor color, or should I save up a bunch of changes, and then post up a file. Also how about removing some of the older versions? Would that be a bad idea as it might make the posts look incongruous?

Isaac

For now, here's a different cursor color. It's just more red.

sudoku.zip

It's still too dark for my tastes, though, because you're using a luminance value of 0 (i.e., the color value is $40-- hue 4, lum 0). However, I think part of my problem is that I'm running the game on an emulator, and the palette it was using is (in my opinion) kind of crappy. Anyway, I managed to hack the binary image to change the color to something brighter, and it looks like color $36 might be close to what I was trying to suggest-- although again, the exact appearance depends heavily on which of the different palette files I choose in the emulator. Here's a screenshot from the version I hacked:

post-7456-1163653086_thumb.jpg

Michael

PS -- Ideally, the cursor color would be a different hue for the non-given digits, like red for the givens (which can't be changed), and green for the non-givens (since they can be changed). But that's just my opinion. :)

Edited by SeaGtGruff

It's still too dark for my tastes, though, because you're using a luminance value of 0 (i.e., the color value is $40-- hue 4, lum 0). However, I think part of my problem is that I'm running the game on an emulator, and the palette it was using is (in my opinion) kind of crappy. Anyway, I managed to hack the binary image to change the color to something brighter, and it looks like color $36 might be close to what I was trying to suggest-- although again, the exact appearance depends heavily on which of the different palette files I choose in the emulator. Here's a screenshot from the version I hacked:

post-7456-1163653086_thumb.jpg

Michael

PS -- Ideally, the cursor color would be a different hue for the non-given digits, like red for the givens (which can't be changed), and green for the non-givens (since they can be changed). But that's just my opinion. :)

Gotcha. I will try $36. There is quite a difference in some of the colors between the emulators and the real thing on a T.V. I will also have to consider seperating out the colors from a given and non-given for the cursor. My initial thought was too many different colors and it's going to distract. That's why I made the given and non-given numbers so close, yet still distinctive. I am also thinking about a "options" page where you can change things like colors. Although that wouldn't work too well with a cart that can't save the options.

I am going to head out on vacation tomorrow afternoon, so most likely I will not have any updates until after Thanksgiving.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Also-- open question to anyone who knows-- how difficult is, or what's involved in, porting an 800 game to the 5200? Let's assume there are no special considerations, such as a 128K machine, just a plain manilla game. I'm just wondering if it would be possible for idavis' Sudoku 800 game to be ported to a Sudoku 5200 game?

MR

The Asteroids clone I've been working on was originally written for the 8-bits. It took me about 3 days to convert it to the 5200. If I had done things a little differently it would have taken much less than that. The joystick/keypad code took a little work to get right. Also, I bypassed the usual title screen and by doing that I had to perform a fair amount of initialization that is normally handled for you. This wasn't immediately obvious (at least to me). The biggest pain was having to move some things around in memory - namely the display list and many variables. Having said that, the 5200 is actually easier to deal with. Since it's strictly for gaming the memory is laid out better. The 16K RAM is contiguous and you have a nice 32K contiguous block of ROM space to work with. Also, very little of Page 0 is used. Finally, you have more buttons to work with and the keypad is at your disposal. For my game I use one button for fire, one for shield, and any keypad button for hyperspace. You can also "flip" by pulling back on the stick. This allows you to use flip, hyperspace, or shield at any time instead of having to pick one like the Atari Asteroids game.

-tjb