IGNORED

8-bit heaven

Pengwin

Now I know what you guys have been on about. :D

I got my SIO2PC interface this morning (courtesy of Steven at Atarimax). What a great device!!!

Can't sing it's praises enough.

No prizes for guessing what's gonna be taking up my time for the next few days/weeks/months/years (delete as applicable)

Edited by Pengwin

That's true. Atari is forever, even in our dreams ;)

I used SIO2PC interface on my old PC, but now, I guess, I have to update software for new PC. And I really want hear more about SIO2PC USB version, which was shown on ABBUC meeting.

My next task is to try to get a compatible USB/Serial converter so I can use my Mac instead of a laptop. But I couldn't get the SIO2PC software to work (I'm using DOS APE now), so I'm a little concerned as to whether I'll be able to use SIO2OSX.

That's true. Atari is forever, even in our dreams ;)

I used SIO2PC interface on my old PC, but now, I guess, I have to update software for new PC. And I really want hear more about SIO2PC USB version, which was shown on ABBUC meeting.

My next task is to try to get a compatible USB/Serial converter so I can use my Mac instead of a laptop. But I couldn't get the SIO2PC software to work (I'm using DOS APE now), so I'm a little concerned as to whether I'll be able to use SIO2OSX.

I've got SIO2OSX working on my G4 tower. It's a great program. Let me know if you run into trouble. The important thing with getting a USB/serial adapter for the Mac is getting the right one. Some of them don't work right for this program.

Allan

Apparently, the best USB to serial adaptor to get for a Mac is made by Belkin. When I first got my Cuttle Cart 2, I tried 2 different "no name" USB to serial adaptors on the Mac, and neither one worked (one didn't have OSX drivers at all, the other did, but the CC2 said there was a checksum error). Someone in the Atari 2600 forum told me the Belkin adaptor would work... I didn't get one, because the Mac was just an experiment. The CC2's permanent home is my AMD64 Linux box, where it works fine (even with those two crappy USB to serial adaptors). I haven't tried the SIO2PC on the Mac, and probably won't bother (I'd have to run 100' of serial cable or completely rearrange my room and living room).

I don't know about the DOS sio2pc software, but I had trouble getting sio2linux to work, so I emailed Stephen Tucker. He said to try raising the RI (Ring Indicator) line before running sio2linux, which worked fine. His version of the SIO2PC device uses the RI line to decide whether to operate in SIO2PC (aka "APE") or "Prosystem" mode, instead of using a DIP switch. I added a bit of code to sio2linux that raises the RI line before doing any other I/O, and it works like a champ... though I have to say, the AtariSIO software is a lot nicer (and it already knows how to talk to the Atarimax SIO2PC).

I don't know how to do the same thing on DOS, but it shouldn't be difficult to do. If you can't get the source code to sio2pc, you could just write a little program that you run before running sio2pc.

Thanks Allan, knowing that someone else has SIO2OSX working makes me more confident.

Urchlay, according to the SIO2OSX website, the recommended adapter is one made by a company called FTDI, although I would like some guidance as to which one (US232R-10, US232R-100 [i believe this is the same as the US232R-10, but with a longer cable] or the US232B). If anyone can offer any advice I would be grateful.

according to the SIO2OSX website, the recommended adapter is one made by a company called FTDI, although I would like some guidance as to which one (US232R-10, US232R-100 [i believe this is the same as the US232R-10, but with a longer cable] or the US232B).

Hmm, one of my two adaptors that wouldn't work with the CC2 has an FTDI chip. Can't remember whether it was sold under the FTDI brand name or not, though... I'll have a look when I get home. Mine didn't work, so maybe you should avoid buying the one I have.

I do remember that my FTDI adaptor doesn't have a built-in cable. It's just a piece of plastic maybe 2" long, with a standard USB plug on one end and a 9-pin serial connector on the other. It can be plugged straight into a hub, without using a cable at all (though this blocks the USB port next to it).

I've used this same FTDI-chip adaptor with Linux to connect to the CC2, and also to connect to an Atari 850. It works great for both. I should try it with my SIO2PC, too.