IGNORED

Anyone camping out at BestBuy for the PS3?

RickHarrisMaine

I suspect there were already people in their cars in the parking lot and come four hours before the store opens it'll be a MAD FRENZY as people jocky for position. I expect much chaos and bloodshed. Someone should setup a live webcam. :D

Oh yeah, they'll be plenty of nice 'reality show' video out of this debacle. I will be very surprised if at least one person isn't killed in the US.

If my connection can't get me a PS3, I'll be checking it out next year sometime. I'm having no part of any of the nonsense. :P

I'm waiting for the kinks to be ironed out before I get a PS3.Heck,I won't get a 360 'til next year :ponder:

Apparently there's a bunch of people camped out at Circuit City, Best Buy and Walmarts in Jersey/ PA, but the news also said that they go on sale Fri AM at Midnight? :?

Also it sucks to be those people because we are under a flood watch with possible strong wind/rain Thurs/Thurs Night. Maybe someone shoud clear the dollar store out of ponchos & umbrellas and re-sell them. :ponder:

Apparently there's a bunch of people camped out at Circuit City, Best Buy and Walmarts in Jersey/ PA, but the news also said that they go on sale Fri AM at Midnight? :?

Also it sucks to be those people because we are under a flood watch with possible strong wind/rain Thurs/Thurs Night. Maybe someone shoud clear the dollar store out of ponchos & umbrellas and re-sell them. :ponder:

Ya know, that's a kick-ass idea! You could probably make more money serving a line of 50+ people drinks and food and other crap in 24-36 hours than you would off of reselling a PS3. And, you would really have a product to sell and not need to worry about standing in line and getting nothing. You are brilliant honestly.

I predict that at least one person is killed over the PS3 on Friday. A lot of people think that they are going to make $1000-$1500 for each system that they can get their hands on. I can tell you that I know some people at some of the retail outlets around town and as of early Wednesday there were already more people camping out at many of the sites than the stores had systems to sell. How are these people going to feel having camped out for a couple of days and then realize that they aren't going to get a system. It is going to be a mess. Some retail outlets do not have any systems yet and the PS3 is scheduled to be released on Friday.

I camped out when the PS2 was released. I went to a Target about 10 hours before they opened and I did get one. Everyone there was calling me the "old man" and I was only 31 then. If I camped out now they probably would be calling me grandpa. Things are a lot worse now. Some places had campers last week.

I have my doubts about the PS3. It is very expensive compared to the Xbox 360 and the Wii and Sony is going to miss out on a lot of sales this holiday season because of production problems. The Xbox 360 and Wii both should have a lot larger base at the end of the year and it might be difficult for Sony to catch up. Sony's problems are just what Nintendo needed to get part of their share back of the marketplace.

I just got back from the same Best Buy I drove by earlier today. I went inside this time and to my surprise they had a playable PS3 kiosk. Unfortunately, some kid was playing NBA Live '07 and that's the only game I saw, but I did get to see 15 minutes of it hooked up to a Sony LCD HDTV. Looked nice, but I'm not into basketball games so I would not really know how it compares to similar games.

The kiosk was strange--it has a PS3 behind clear plastic, but the PS3 isn't real--it's just a PS3 case with cardboard panels where the ports are. The two controllers went into the kiosk, presumably to a PS3 tucked away somewhere inside. There was no way to reset the system--instead it would restart after 'x' minutes (too many minutes), and from then you could pick from the demos on the disc. Not sure what they were, since the kid who was playing immediately went back into NBA Live the only time I saw it reset. :roll:

I asked one of the employees why there was nobody camped outside. She said that they were only letting people line up four hours before the store opens on Friday. Pretty funny, four hours? I asked how many systems they'd be getting and she said they would not know until Thursday night. Which I did not believe, as I'm sure they already have the systems in the stockroom.

..Al

They have all their systems in , but they do not know what boxes the systems are packed in. They would have gotten some shipping boxes that had no markings on them except what the retailer uses. Without knowing that the boxes are loded with PS3's, they won't know how many were shipped to the store. Only people with that info are Sony and the warehouse the PS3's shipped from. The store will find out when they unpack the consoles.

When I worked at Target, I handled PS2's and Xboxes from time to time. The Microsoft boxes had the MS name in a simple typset, the Sony ones had no identifaction whatsoever. Whoever unloaded them just knows they go to electronics, and that's it.

When the PSP came out, those were delivered several days before launch, but it was not revealed to the store personnel that only ten were available until launch day. lol, it's kind of odd, too, since there was like no abnormal security over the PSP. No one told us to keep it quiet they were in, they weren't locked away in a safe anywhere (well, locked in with the movies), you'd have thought the boxes they came in had soap or light bulbs or something.

Here in OKC, it's getting colder. The wind is making things worse. I don't plan on visitng the charade in front of any retailer--in fact, I will probably stay away since I hate crowds. I'd never wait two days outside in this weather. We're going through a seasonal weather change--give us a couple of months and we'll be used to highs of 40 or less, but right now even 45 degrees feels like absolute zero.

Huh, there's a Best Buy at 63rd and May. I'm sure the wind howls through there pretty loud. I should get me an Xbox 360 t shirt and parade myself happily into the store in short sleeves with a big Microsoft logo displayed. I should do that right in front of all the people who are huddled together in the minus four thousand degree wind chill. :evil:

Oh, wait. I've got it. Remember those Super Soakers they were selling a few months ago? I need to drive by with one of those...loaded with ice water, of course...

I consider the DC launch to be a success, but even after that, I'll never buy a system at launch again for any other purpose that to resell it--and probably not even for that.

Edited by shadow460

I saw one lone guy in a tent outside the one on 168th here on Tuesday. As I walked out with a couple of CD's and a DVD set I chuckled and yelled at the tent "A PS3 IS NOT WORTH IT!" I intend to cut a wide berth around any video game or electronics store on Friday, and MIGHT hit Best Buy or TRU for a Wii on Sunday. MIGHT. PS3 doesn't even have my interest until they can ramp up production and the holiday madness is over.

I'm still thinking of just getting up early and making an effort at it. I have an hour commute each way and a REALLY boring job, so I can't be too tired! I'm with Shawn though, the money is just too good not to do it. I may take the profits, assuming I can get one, and hope Santa comes through with a Wii or a 360.

I'm still thinking of just getting up early and making an effort at it. I have an hour commute each way and a REALLY boring job, so I can't be too tired! I'm with Shawn though, the money is just too good not to do it. I may take the profits, assuming I can get one, and hope Santa comes through with a Wii or a 360.

If you buy one to resell I would try selling it in your local paper or through Craigslist. The PS3 is just perfect for scammers on eBay looking to get a free system and leaving the seller with a chargeback.

At this point, the only reason I would even WANT a PS3 would be to resell it. None of the launch games have me excited at all.

I played the PS3 yesterday @ Best Buy...the same type of kiosk that Al was referring to. The NBA game looked nice, but nothing special, and it played no differently than the College Hoops 2k6 game I have on my 360. For $600, I'd like some sort of earth shattering gameplay that I couldn't experience elsewhere. The games look to me like they will be no different than the last generation ,only with better graphics.

If you buy one to resell I would try selling it in your local paper or through Craigslist. The PS3 is just perfect for scammers on eBay looking to get a free system and leaving the seller with a chargeback.

That's an interesting point. Theoretically, how would you protect yourself against that? Let's say I sell it for $1500, then get the payment through Paypal, then ship as soon as payment is in place. If the buyer says it was never received, is the money refunded? I guess you could transfer the money out of Paypal immediately after receiving it though, and send the package certified?

That's an interesting point. Theoretically, how would you protect yourself against that? Let's say I sell it for $1500, then get the payment through Paypal, then ship as soon as payment is in place. If the buyer says it was never received, is the money refunded? I guess you could transfer the money out of Paypal immediately after receiving it though, and send the package certified?

Yep, I would definitely send it certified. Get a signature. I had a chargeback once. I had already transferred the money out, so they deducted it from my bank account. Needless to say, I no longer keep my paypal account tied to my personal checking account.

Edited by Lord Helmet

If I picked up a PS3 to resell, I'd only do it through Craigslist (which is very active in Austin) and only accept cash on pickup. Too easy to get screwed via PayPal for something like this. Even if you transfer the money out of PayPal to your bank account, PayPal would just put your account in the red for that amount and you wouldn't be able to use the account again until you replaced the funds.

..Al

I'm bringing a knife, 4 guns and a mace to get my Wii.

I'm hoping the Wii will be a lot easier to get. Hopefully even possible for a casual browser (i.e. me) to pick up sometime before christmas. :ponder:

That's what I'm hoping also. I have no intention of standing in line waiting for an opportunity to buy a game system. I don't think it will be too difficult to get a Wii for those who have a bit of vigilance.

..Al

Dang, I wish I'd snapped some pics yesterday. There are about 4 or 5 tents in front of the Best Buy near my home. All the guys there are in full winter camping gear as the wind chill in the Chicago Area is just crazy at the moment.

It was hard to resist rolling down the window and making some sort of snarky comment. :P

Escrow.

The escrow service charges a fee, but it ensures that both sides are protected against a fraudulent transaction. The buyer can feel safe because he knows his money won't be stolen, and the seller can feel safe because he knows that the escrow service won't release the money to anyone until both sides come to an agreement.

If you remove the money from Paypal, you can still be hit with a chargeback. The only difference is that Paypal will give you a negative balance, and freeze your account until it is paid.

At this point, the only reason I would even WANT a PS3 would be to resell it. None of the launch games have me excited at all.

Tha'ts the thing, there's NOTHING in the PS3 launch list that interests me. It's actually pretty dull unless you're into sports or FPS. I'm rather disappointed. I'm going to wait until it has some game that I can't live without and pick one up then. Hopefully they'll be plentiful by then.

Tempest

I'm bringing a knife, 4 guns and a mace to get my Wii.

Did you mean "and Mace®" or "and a mace?" You could get away with the knife and firearms, but a mace would probably get you thrown out of line. Or mauled. Or a job at Medieval Times, if you don't get a Wii.

If you do get a Wii, please remember the mace in your hand is not the Wiimote before thrusting it about violently.