IGNORED

Ebay Fami Twin SNES/NES System Reliability

chuckwalla

Hose off already...

I OWN multiple NES and SNES decks. This is interesting regardless. It may also save some space, as well as some convenient inputs. I also want to see for myself how well this thing will work out...since this one is fairly new.

This thing is not new. Ever heard of the Tristar, which used the same chipsets to allow you to play NES and SNES games on an N64? Yes this clone has a new shell, but everybody knows that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

The chipsets used in both the NES part and the SNES part of the clone are known pieces of crap. They have appeared in many clones before. The NES part of the system uses a NOAC, and the SNES part of the system uses a well known pirate chipset that has appeared in the Gamestation (a SNES clone that loads ROMs off of CD) and it has appeared in a clone of the mini-SNES. So this is literally the same crap packaged differently. These chipsets are actually worse than PC based emulation. The SNES clone's audio works, but for many sound effects it is absolutely messed up.

I remember getting burned by the Gamestation. Games such as "Out of this World" and "Seiken Densetsu 3" (aka Secret of Mana 2) have flat out buggy audio when played on that pirate cloned SNES chipset. Buyer beware. Unless you are deaf and blind or you don't know enough about NES or SNES games to be able to tell when they aren't playing correctly, avoid clones based on the aformentioned crappy pirate chipsets.

Edited by Jagasian

Because a real SNES can't play NES games without adapters and the adapters most likely uses the cheap NOAC technology so it wouldn't be good either.

And having 2 separate real consoles is a waste of space.

Don't worry about that jagassan guy, he's just a troll that only speaks up when he finds something to bash. Honestly, I don't know why he isn't banned outright as none of his posts are ment to further topics or have fun on the forums.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Because a real SNES can't play NES games without adapters and the adapters most likely uses the cheap NOAC technology so it wouldn't be good either.

And having 2 separate real consoles is a waste of space.

Don't worry about that jagassan guy, he's just a troll that only speaks up when he finds something to bash. Honestly, I don't know why he isn't banned outright as none of his posts are ment to further topics or have fun on the forums.

I am merely stating a fact when I point out that this clone is the same crappy chipsets in a new package. Just because you don't like reality doesn't mean you need to personally attack me. Why do some people take it personally when somebody points out to them the flaws in a consumer electronic product? Is Consumer Reports a troll magazine?

Uzumaki should know that the adapter used to play NES games on a SNES does use a NOAC, but at least that setup will have proper SNES support. The pirate SNES chipset used in the Fami Twin is not a good recreation of a real SNES's chipset. I am sorry if this hurts anybody's feelings, but its the cold hard facts.

Edited by Jagasian

I've read that the board in the FC Twin is a reverse engineered piece, not a rehash of old pirate hardware.

I have heard of the Tristar, and have heard that the adapter was pretty horrid. Then again, there have also been a few years advancement in technology on that end (I hope). The NOAC part, if true, doesn't bother me, as I know that there is compatibility issues there, but for the most part work well enough.

Having two separate consoles may or may not be a waste of space Uzamaki: It depends on your living quarters. Right now, my apartment is hard up on space. So, it may indeed be an alright thing to have the two meshed together. I got it mostly for novelty, and that's OK in my book. IF I had a larger space, I would have both NES, and SNES hooked up, and call it sweet...and I would have still picked up a clone just cause. There are some odd people, who collect pirate stuff as well as legit stuff... some people collect pirate goods for the sake of collecting something a little silly (as many old pirate carts ARE goofy). I collect for the fun of collecting, and that includes the odd bit of hardware along with everything else. It's good times.

Games such as "Out of this World" and "Seiken Densetsu 3" (aka Secret of Mana 2) have flat out buggy audio when played on that pirate cloned SNES chipset.

I've been looking for specific incompatibility test games :) - I tested Out of this World (at least the first two parts anyway) and it seemed fine.

Yes, the FC Twin uses a reversed engineered SNES chipset. It looks like the same chipset used in previous unlicensed SNES clones. Compare the main chips in each clone:

http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11851

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=counterfeit_snes

While the printed circuit board layout is different, that won't improve the poorly reverse engineered SNES audio processing unit.

Games such as "Out of this World" and "Seiken Densetsu 3" (aka Secret of Mana 2) have flat out buggy audio when played on that pirate cloned SNES chipset.

I've been looking for specific incompatibility test games :) - I tested Out of this World (at least the first two parts anyway) and it seemed fine.

Specific sounds don't play correctly. Compare the following on a real SNES and on the clone:

Secret of Mana 2

Final Fantasy 3

Chrono Trigger

Super Mario RPG

Its my understanding that you never even tried things like the Generation Nex, Jagasian. Leave people alone already unless you have some first hand experience on them for a change.

You are mistaken. While I do not own a NEX, I had hands on access to a friend's NEX. Everything I said about the Generation NEX turned out to be true. The same sure can't be said for the NEX's proponents. You know, they had hands on experience with the NEX, and many people trusted them. I bet they also trusted President George W Bush.

Edited by Jagasian

Alright, Jagasian. I publicly refute your claim on the compatibility issues for the SNES board. The audio sounded fine to me on every game I tested. The only sound that didn't sound quite like I remembered it was the seagull sound in the opening of Chrono Trigger... they sounded just oh so slightly mechanical. On the same hand, it has been a long time since I played Chrono on the real console (space limitations, and all that Jazz... 2 jobs, and school... eats up time like mad), so they may even sound the same. In short, sounded fine, and nothing horrid to the ears.

The FC Twin played my coveted collection of SNES titles, which are as follows:

Castlvania Dracula X

Drakken

Illusion of Gaia

Secret of Mana

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

FF Mystic Quest

Castlvania IV

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Paladin's Quest

Equinox

All of these played fine, sounded fine, and did not display any graphical errors.

My other SNES titles are chilling out in my garage...so maybe I will drag them in for further tests.

So far compatability has been surprisingly good. As those listed games are the bulk of my SNES collection, and are the ones that cost me the most to acquire.

I didn't extensively test the NES side, as I am a little on the tired side, but it did play SMB3 just fine, and it also played Shadowgate as well. No odd ball glitches or anything there either... they popped right up on screen.

I am rather impressed with it so far.

BTW:

"I bet they also trusted President George W Bush"

Is one hell of a Red Herring, and has absolutely nothing to do with the argument at hand... save for a convenient distraction, and a horrible analogy.

Edited by madhatter667