IGNORED

Space Invaders Deluxe issue

raam

Now that my Asteroids is up and running I'm going to try and get my SID working. The game powers up to the attract mode and then immediately a grid of squares appears in the middle where the title was. It then just refreshes this grid forever. When I got the game it worked for a few days before this happened. I have a untested pcb and daughter card for it I will swap but thought there might be a easy fix first. Not saying that swapping pcbs isn't easy, just a waste if I can get the old one working.

Now that my Asteroids is up and running I'm going to try and get my SID working. The game powers up to the attract mode and then immediately a grid of squares appears in the middle where the title was. It then just refreshes this grid forever. When I got the game it worked for a few days before this happened. I have a untested pcb and daughter card for it I will swap but thought there might be a easy fix first. Not saying that swapping pcbs isn't easy, just a waste if I can get the old one working.

try looking at your connector first. then at the connector from main pcb to daughter card. if you run into a dead end there try swapping out just the z80 chip. if that still doesent work then you probably have a reset circuit error. please post your findings. I have the same game and have had simular problems. I got past the grid problem but then about 6 months later the board went dead again and I haven't torn in to it again

try looking at your connector first. then at the connector from main pcb to daughter card. if you run into a dead end there try swapping out just the z80 chip. if that still doesent work then you probably have a reset circuit error. please post your findings. I have the same game and have had simular problems. I got past the grid problem but then about 6 months later the board went dead again and I haven't torn in to it again

I'll give it a go. Is that how you fixed yours, by swapping the chip ? What is this " reset circuit error " ? Sounds like a power problem of sorts.

yeah I got mine going by a combo of these things don't know exactally which one cause a I stupidly did them all at once. re-flowed the connector for the daughterboard and the other connectors and switched out the z80( ihad a known good one so I just went ahead and did it). unfortunately as I said the board went dead 6 months later, ram failure ,had little sprites all over the screen what a pain to cause those chips have no carrier they are soldiered right into the boar :x d

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update. I pulled out the game and took out the boards to have a look. I couldn't see anything suspect so I reinserted them after cleaning the conectors. Now it will come on and I can play but after about 5 min or so it stops and goes back to the grid screen again. Bummer, I thought it would be easy. I 'll take them out again and reflow the solder and if I have to swap the boards. What do ya think ? Oh and any more info on the reset error would help. thanks

When the grid appears, do some checking with a voltmeter. Be sure you have -5 V and 5 V steady at the shutdown time.

My guess, and this is a shot in the dark, your -5V line is dropping out after the power supply warms up.

C

Shutdown time ? So if the -5v line is dropping out this would mean exactly what ? I'm a newbie and need things spelled out. LOL thanks

IIRC, the video ram is a -5 circuit. That would mean if you lose that voltage your screen would just, well, freeze. Could be a test pattern or maybe a version of the image you had before crash.

I would say using a voltmeter is a must in order to do more diagnostic. I have also seen the daughter card connector contacts need resoldering on those (and Omega Race) boardsets.

Worth some time to learn the voltmeter and where to get readings on that game. I don't have a how-to in mind, anybody got a quick and dirty one they know of?

C

IIRC, the video ram is a -5 circuit. That would mean if you lose that voltage your screen would just, well, freeze. Could be a test pattern or maybe a version of the image you had before crash.

I would say using a voltmeter is a must in order to do more diagnostic. I have also seen the daughter card connector contacts need resoldering on those (and Omega Race) boardsets.

Worth some time to learn the voltmeter and where to get readings on that game. I don't have a how-to in mind, anybody got a quick and dirty one they know of?

C

good call CN if you drop out the -5v it would lose video and go into "diagnostic" maybe there is a capacitor that is not holding I have a schematic of the boards. I'll try to find it and trace it out.