IGNORED

Finally, the Zelda review

AtariJr

For all those hungryly waiting for the Zelda review from IGN, eat your hearts out here it is

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746691p1.html

Now if only they gave me a review for Red Steel, all of my preordered games would be reviewed now (excite truck, monkeyball, rayman and these 2)

hmm..id still like to wait for an IGN review.. I tend to disagree with a lot of reviews that Gamespot dishes out. Howver, it still does knock my confidence of the game down a rung. Oh well, there are plenty of other good 3rd party games to select from. I mean no offense, but i tend to agree with the review done by IGN on Excitetruck than of the one done by Gamespot. And giving Zelda an 8.8 is just blasphemy lol

Edited by AtariJr

Damn gamespot not getting swept up in the hype!

either that or they're tying to make it look like they're not buying into the hype by intentionally low-scoring every game. I think it's kind of strange that no games have gotten a 9.0 or higher.

ive not liked Gamespot for a while.. i mean, even 1up seems to be better at describing what the game is like. To have a review on Zelda, and not even mention the in depth description of the control is just embarrasing. IGN used to do this, seemingly intentionally score good games low just becuase they thought it was what the public wanted, but they have recently been doing much better (last year or so). in the end each of the review sites will never match your exact opinions, but i just feel IGN is the most professional right now. And as much as i would like to like 1Up, they never have info on games as fast as IGN, and sometimes they downright just never review games i care about. Very poor.

I have to say, this video over on Wii.com really surprised me. I was expecting the cast (how else would one fish with a Wiimote?), but I guess I'm so used to Mario Party that when the guy spun the nunchuck like a reel I was shocked! :-o

It's just such a simple and elegant solution to controling a fishing reel. If we weren't all so used to pressing buttons and twirling sticks, it might even be the natural solution. Things like this show that the Wii is definitely going to change gaming forever.

Dang, now I really want to play the Wii. :(

I have to say, this video over on Wii.com really surprised me. I was expecting the cast (how else would one fish with a Wiimote?), but I guess I'm so used to Mario Party that when the guy spun the nunchuck like a reel I was shocked! :-o

It's just such a simple and elegant solution to controling a fishing reel. If we weren't all so used to pressing buttons and twirling sticks, it might even be the natural solution. Things like this show that the Wii is definitely going to change gaming forever.

Dang, now I really want to play the Wii. :(

interesting, i was curious actually on how the fishing worked, that sounds like an good idea for Sega for a Sega Bass Fishing sequel.

PS: your link is dead, but i found it anyway

Edited by AtariJr

On the subject of Zelda.... when I was at Toys 'R Us today checking out the Wii, I noticed that over in the GameCube section are skins to put on your GC that are based on Twilight Princess. I would guess that they'd be collector's items in the future, with Nintendo cancelling the game for the GameCube.

On the subject of Zelda.... when I was at Toys 'R Us today checking out the Wii, I noticed that over in the GameCube section are skins to put on your GC that are based on Twilight Princess. I would guess that they'd be collector's items in the future, with Nintendo cancelling the game for the GameCube.

they canceled it? i thought that was just a rumor... makes sense.. the gamecube is already dieing.. might as well not steal the wii's thunder. besides, it just makes gamecube owners have to by a wii, at least those who werent planning on buying a wii as all they cared about was zelda. its a smart busniess move.

Almost got a Wii yesterday. I was planning on holding out, but my wife was interested too... :D Of course we hit best buy up around 630PM so it was a super long shot.

In terms of reviews (IMO)

IGN is too hot

Gamespot is too cold

1up is just right

Cheers,

Ben

After finally getting the sword (it took me forever to figure out how to fish properly) I can say that this game is all kinds of fun. The different sword moves depending on how you use the controller make it really fun.

Can you (or anyone) please give me a detailed description on how to hook a fish?

Literally played 1000's of video games in my life and have never been more frustrated.

What a stupid way to start a game.

Lots of complaints over the 'Bobber fishing' sequence.

(However, the later fishing mini-games (as seen on YouTube) look like it will be fun.)

they canceled it? i thought that was just a rumor... makes sense.. the gamecube is already dieing.. might as well not steal the wii's thunder. besides, it just makes gamecube owners have to by a wii, at least those who werent planning on buying a wii as all they cared about was zelda. its a smart busniess move.

I gotta admit, I thought the double release was kind of dumb.

I loved the GC, but it has been out of the loop for a while.

Plus, given the backwards compatability.....fuhgeddaboutit. I'm sure some loyalists will feel ripped off, but people were loyal to Nintendo more than the GameCube, and the Wii is so interesting, it's a smart move overall.

To fish (and rescue the cat):

Toss the line in the water on the dock near where the cat is lounging.

Point the Wiimote down.

When the red part of the bobber goes underwater, jerk the rod up (by pulling back on the Wiimote). Wind the fish in with the nunchuck hand (move that hand in a winding motion, not by "spinning" the thumbstick).

Drop the fish on the dock.

It took me alot of frustation and a search of the IGN message board to figure it out. Nintendo should have included a tutorial for bobber fishing...

Edited by Lord Helmet

To fish (and rescue the cat):

Toss the line in the water on the dock near where the cat is lounging.

Point the Wiimote down.

When the red part of the bobber goes underwater, jerk the rod up (by pulling back on the Wiimote). Wind the fish in with the nunchuck hand (move that hand in a winding motion, not by "spinning" the thumbstick).

Drop the fish on the dock.

It took me alot of frustation and a search of the IGN message board to figure it out. Nintendo should have included a tutorial for bobber fishing...

So once the ENTIRE bobber is under water, then I pull back?

Every time I pull back, the line comes up empty. It would be nice if I could see the fish biting the hook instead

of just seein that freakin' bobber !

The funny part is the only time it said 'FISH ON HOOK' is when I dropped the controller to get a snack. By the time I picked it back up, it was too late. :D (And that might have caused the first Wii fatality by having it thrown through a window...)

Yes, the entire bobber has to b underwater.

Here is the post from the IGN board that I used to figure it out:

How to catch a fish and get the cat...

Okay, this is probably the trickiest part of the game, and Nintendo definitely should have included a better tutorial here. Search for the cat. He should be hiding behind a house, near the river, and there should be a little wooden dock near it. Don't try herding the cat, it won't get you anywhere. Get on that wooden dock and cast your line out. Have you ever gone bobber fishing before? Because that giant long thing is a bobber, and there should be a red portion of it near the top. This isn't lure fishing like in OoT, you have to wait in this one. You'll notice that your bobber begins to "bob" up and down on its own accord. That means the fishes are nibbling, but don't jump the gun, they haven't bitten yet. Once that red portion is underwater the fish has got that hook in its mouth! Literally pull your Wiimote back as if it's the rod to lodge that hook in that fish's cheek! And don't drop it, you'll give it slack. Keep the remote held back and angled upwards and backwards. This should be enough, but for good measure, try reeling the fish in with your nunchuck (make circular motions in the air). Just like real fishing, eh? This may take a couple of times, but when you finally pull one out of the water (make sure you're on the dock), guess what you need to do! Let it go. Press A, and you'll drop the fish right on the dock. The cat will grab the fish and run back home all happily.

Edited by Lord Helmet