IGNORED

Motorized DVD drive question...

Xot

Okay, does anyone have any opinions... or facts.... about wear & tear on the Wii's motorized drive? Clearly, from a design point, the system is intended to stand vertically, so that's how I have it. Would it be better to lay it flat? Is it better for the long-term health of the system to keep discs in when not playing, or to keep inserting/ejecting them, or am I really putting too damn much thought into protecting my investment?

Am I really putting too damn much thought into protecting my investment?

^^ Quoted for truth. :D

If your Wii breaks down anytime soon, I guarantee that Nintendo will fix it. They've got excellent cutomer service. (I've even heard stories of reps digging around Nintendo warehouses for swag to fulfill special offers for systems that aren't even made anymore!)

If it breaks down in a few years, the Wii will probably be so cheap that you won't need to worry about the cost of replacement. Honestly speaking, it probably isn't a big deal one way or the other. Nintendo has some of the best quality engineers I've ever seen. They have never once put out a console that was unreliable inside its expected lifetime. (Most live long past their expected lifetime.) The worst problem they've ever had was the pin-alignment issue with the original NES, and that wasn't exactly a showstopper.

In other words, you'll be fine. :cool:

I wouldn't put too much thought into it now. Many years down the line will be a different story. Motorized drives tend to fail way faster than their tray counterparts.

really? i have 3 macs with motorized drives .. 2 of which are eithe 4 or over 4 years old... and they still work without ever a hitch. dont worry, nintendo wouldnt put shit hardware in there. if it was a ps3, id worry ;), jk

really? i have 3 macs with motorized drives .. 2 of which are eithe 4 or over 4 years old... and they still work without ever a hitch. dont worry, nintendo wouldnt put shit hardware in there. if it was a ps3, id worry ;), jk

More complexity, the more chances to break. Of course high quality mechanisms do help - my old Performa 550 caddy drive still works :D

But yeah, speaking in terms of literally thousands of machines that I've been aware of, the motorized drives have failed way more often.

More complexity, the more chances to break. Of course high quality mechanisms do help - my old Performa 550 caddy drive still works :D

But yeah, speaking in terms of literally thousands of machines that I've been aware of, the motorized drives have failed way more often.

meh.. itll sound better, and last longer than my ps2's tray... it sounded like a car wreck everytime it came in and out.