IGNORED

5-11under's Blog - Full version of Squares! available (beta vers. B4)

RSS Bot

Here's the link to the topic where the file is located:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96855

Instructions:

At the start, press fire1 to start the normal version, or "1" to start the kids version. As the white square, your job is to avoid the other squares that are bouncing around. You lose a life everytime you fail in this quest. If you lose a life, your square disappears, but will eventually appear near the top-left corner of the screen. Pressing fire1 will make your square appear pretty much instantly. As you progress through the game, the squares become larger, and some of them get faster. At some point, extra squares are added. There are also items to catch, starting with the banana, some other fruit, then other icons. Catching them will either add extra lives, or invisibility and hyperspace tokens, which can be used by pressing the 1st or 2nd fire buttons, respectively (the token bank quantities are labelled "I" and "H" respectively). The game is over when all of your lives have been spent. The kids version is much easier than the regular version. A good joystick is highly recommended.

It's still a work in progress, and there are a few known bugs and opportunities for improvements:

- Pressing fire to get the next square to appear will most likely also make you invisible.

- The "I" and "H" and "LIF" text needs to convey information better.

- The copyright and instructions need to be worked on.

- It's been a couple of months since I tried it on a real ColecoVision - does it still work, and is the difficulty level/progression still decent?

- The kids version is too easy(?), especially with the invisibility.

- The two player head-to-head option needs to be added (this is the big one!).

- Add visual time indicator for invisibility time left (clock within the square?).

- Maybe I need to redo the opening screen, with more of a "squares" theme.

- The sounds still need to be worked on. At this point, there's only one or two different sounds in the game. Eventually, there will be a variety of sound effects used.

There's a few "cheats" available in the game (at this point, anyway):

Before pressing "1" or Fire1:

- Press "2" for 900 lives.

- Press "0" for one extra life (keep pressing for more).

While playing regular version (not kids version):

- Press "2" for one extra life (keep pressing for more).

- Press "5" to increase speed of one of the sprites.

- Press "6" to add an extra "enemy".

- Press "7" to add the final extra "enemy".

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2380