IGNORED

Wii update could kill your system!

Cheese007

To me this is a HUGE pile of crap, and if I were someone that buys current gen systems (which thankfully I'm not) I would be super pissed about even there being a possibility of this happening to my new system. The whole reason I like console gaming is because it is much simpler and more reliable than computer gaming. There should be no reason in HELL that I should have to worry about my new console crashing or not having the latest firmware for it. If I wanted to worry about the latest software or hardware compatibility and the constant worry of a system crash I'd just be gaming on a Windows based PC.

If it weren't for the 360's foothold I could very possibly see another video game crash brought on by greedy manufacturers with sloppy production and QC procedures. I'm sorry, but for me this current gen of gaming is a MASSIVE step in the wrong direction so far. If things don't change I can't see myself trusting the systems enough to get one when the price eventually drops. IMO a gaming console MUST provide simple, reliable, nearly instant gaming satisfaction and these systems don't seem to be what the doctor ordered.

Or maybe I just woke up cranky.

Wow! Is it just me or is it Nintendo that's dropping the ball on their system first rather than Sony? I know that all systems have issues when they're first released, but I've heard of 4 problems on the Wii for every 1 on the PS3. I would have guessed it would be just the opposite.

Tempest

That's because all the PS3 owners are busy hocking their systems on ebay. :lol:

Keep in mind that things like the ability to play movies could be available thru an update.

A better method to play mp3's (like a jukebox) could be done thru an update.

There are all kinds of possibilities.

Anyways... Ever try to keep a deadline? Things are constantly changing all the time. I'm not surprised at all that it needs an update. Best to get an update early anyways that way you know if there is any problem with the SRAM or whatever they use to store the bios on.

Look, I know that it doesn't affect playing games, but gee the SD card slot and Wii Shopping Channel were there well in advance of selling the product. No excuse for not being able to do those things out of the box. In industries were you can't provide internet updates, those kind of things cause heads to roll.

I guess I'm still puzzled why the flashed BIOS of a game machine with lots of RAM would need to be updated, ever? If the BIOS puts a jump table in RAM for all its important routines, any game that needs to patch the BIOS could simply update that table as needed. Since the machines have hard drives, it would also be possible for game designers to decide upon, before releasing a game, a patch file name, format, and validation scheme. If there's any need to patch a game, the necessary patch file could be put on the hard drive and then accessed and processed by the game itself.

The only reason I can see for the maker of a game system to want to alter the flash BIOS would be to disable functionality it decided it didn't want people to have. Of course, some manufacturers might see that as a good reason; not sure purchasers would agree.

I guess I'm still puzzled why the flashed BIOS of a game machine with lots of RAM would need to be updated, ever?

:? They don't.

The "firmware" in modern consoles is a small operating system stored on a bootable flash device. It gets updated to add new features (e.g. emulator upgrades, new hardware support, anti-piracy measures, codecs, etc.) and not to update the actual hardware control routines, per se.

I guess I'm still puzzled why the flashed BIOS of a game machine with lots of RAM would need to be updated, ever? If the BIOS puts a jump table in RAM for all its important routines, any game that needs to patch the BIOS could simply update that table as needed. Since the machines have hard drives, it would also be possible for game designers to decide upon, before releasing a game, a patch file name, format, and validation scheme. If there's any need to patch a game, the necessary patch file could be put on the hard drive and then accessed and processed by the game itself.

The wii does not have a hard drive.

I guess I'm still puzzled why the flashed BIOS of a game machine with lots of RAM would need to be updated, ever?

:? They don't.

The "firmware" in modern consoles is a small operating system stored on a bootable flash device. It gets updated to add new features (e.g. emulator upgrades, new hardware support, anti-piracy measures, codecs, etc.) and not to update the actual hardware control routines, per se.

Anti homebrew measures for the most part.

I'm sure that it is nintendo's best intrest to make sure

that every wii owner gets these firmware updates so that they can't

do anything with THeir wii that might affect nintendo's profit margins.

I'm sure that there are many more firmware updates ahead.

Except the only Wii homebrew work currently is using the GameCube side of things. No way to close it without breaking the GameCube.

The PSP is not indicative of the entire market.

After hours of struggling and wrecking my wireless connection, I managed to not only fix the wireless and get it running, but my Wii online!

The problem? It says that it will automatically download updates. Should I do it or will it wreck the system? Or, is it pretty much download them or you can never get online anyways?

This cycle of constant updates is something that I realise we're going to have to put up with this gen. Not entirely happy about it, though if they do the same as has been done lately with the PSP (ie. sweeten the deal by giving more functionality/ demos etc.) then I won't mind too much. My god, I just said something nice about Sony!!!!

Aaaanyway, moving swiftly along, I can take the constant updates if it means free stuff. But with the currrent evil vogue for microtransactions in games and Nintendo's woeful record of not giving anything away (as anyone who has any 'stars' to redeem on their Euro website will know), I'm not hopeful.

I'm sure that it is nintendo's best intrest to make sure

that every wii owner gets these firmware updates so that they can't

do anything with THeir wii that might affect nintendo's profit margins.

I'm sure that there are many more firmware updates ahead.

I saw the dude on the net who ran emulators on the wii. It wasn't impressive. I can do the same on my mac, same results. I have no intrest in doing anything illegal on my wii anyways. If they do pull a Big Brother card on us, watching what we are doing. Big deal, maybe it will help on a better future released game. I think most of us are enjoying the system rather than exploiting the wii. That's why I kept my 9/9/99 Dreamcast anyways :D

Does this mean I shouldn't be asking for a Wii for Christmas, but rather wait untill next year to get one off the shelf?

And a friend of mine told me that at her local EB Games, all the people who bought PS3s from them (the first shipment) brought them back within a week with problems.

You can get one now if you'd like. Nintendo is very good about standing by their products. If your system has a problem, call them up, and they'll (sometimes overnight, I hear) send you a new system.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean I shouldn't be asking for a Wii for Christmas, but rather wait untill next year to get one off the shelf?

And a friend of mine told me that at her local EB Games, all the people who bought PS3s from them (the first shipment) brought them back within a week with problems.

So every PS3 sold at that store nobody tried to sell it on ebay? And every unit sold had a problem and was returned? riiiiiight :roll: