IGNORED

need help!!!! (just purchased atari 2600)

GAME_FREAK

hey everyone!

i just purchased an atari 2600 from a thrift store with 2 games. here is my problem when i connect the cord to the video in connector on my tv and turn on the atari nothing happens. so i decided to use a nintendo cable adapter (where there is a little box that you put the TV cable into and the game plug) but when i turn it on now it just makes the screen really blurry and have lines all across it. if you can help me make it work please do

Any video game switch will work as long as they are a manual one. Automatic ones will not work as the 2600 doesn't produce enough power to switch the box over itself. Or, for better picture quality, you can use an RCA to Coaxle connector (also at Radio Shack) for about $2.49. I use that with an A/B switch and the sound and picture are extremely better.

if i dont have a controller plugged in would that affect anyhting? because i purchased it and i couldnt find a controller at the thrift store

Like lonesome_pa said, the controller doesn't matter.

It's all about the RF switchbox. Do you have one yet? The RCA cable that comes out of the back of the Atari 2600 has to go into an RF switchbox. It's a composite signal with both the video and audio on it, and if you plug it into one of the RCA jacks on a modern TV, you won't get anything.

Also be sure the TV is on the right channel. The back of the Atari has a switch to set either channel 2 or 3 as the active channel for the Atari. Make sure that and the TV are on the same channel, and that the RF switchbox is set to "Game" or "Computer" and not to "TV".

Game Freak:

1. Buy a switchbox at Radio Shack that has a little slider in the middle, allowing you to select either TV or GAME. The latter option might say COMPUTER instead. You get the idea. This switchbox has to be the kind with a co-ax plug hanging out of it. Tell the clerk to show you. Avoid buying the kind of switchbox with two prongs hanging out of it instead, to save you an extra step and possible reception headaches.

2. There should, therefore, be a thick little cord sticking out of one side of the switchbox; at the end of this cord, there should be a co-ax plug. It's the kind of plug that looks like a standard metal nut, except it has a very thin little pin sticking out of its middle, and the "nut" revolves, allowing you to screw the plug into a co-ax jack. Makes sense, right? So screw this co-ax plug into the big jack on the back of your TV.

3. If the back of your TV doesn't have a co-ax jack, then this plug will fit into the back of your VCR instead (assuming you have one). Set the VCR up so that it works. You get a picture. Say, the Channel 7 news comes in through your VCR. Now, put the VCR on channel 3.

Screw the switchbox's co-ax plug into the jack on the back of your VCR that says IN FROM ANTENNA. Make sure your 2600's Channel 3/4 switch is on Channel 3. Turn the 2600 on. If you only get a fuzzy picture, then the 2600's Channel switch is on 4, so move it to its other position. If you're STILL not getting a good picture, turn off the VCR (I'm serious!) and see if it gets better.

4. Remember that the Channel 3/4 switch on the back of your Atari, AND the channel on the TV (or VCR), have to match up. Otherwise, the picture will be very fuzzy and distorted. Also remember to test more than one cartridge, to make sure that's not the problem. Finally, make sure the power supply is 9-volt.

CF