IGNORED

Read sound registers?

olavese@online.no

I see in many demos, they have a type of analyzer (equalizer?) where the bars, colors or balls or whatever follows the music. Is it pre-programmed or do they read the sound registers in any way?

Also want to ask if there's any coders that are willing to share some source codes for various stuff. Like a star field (not a pm star field, but one like in Star Raiders)

Thanks and take Atarian care

Most hardware registers on the Atari are read only or write only, and often with seperate functions provided by the same address.

So, RAM based shadows have to be maintained.

Also, ADSR has to be done in software - so the volume level for each voice will be a known quantity at all times in most music player software. Which makes it pretty easy to grab and convert to a graphical level meter type display.

There is a reasonably simple mathematical formula + algorithm for doing a Star Raiders type starfield - but I can't remember where I saw it. The "complex" way would be to employ 3D to 2D coordinate conversion, which is a pretty demanding process for an 8-bit machine.

Edited by Rybags