IGNORED

Pitfall Harry's "Mystery of the Map" Contest WINNE

Pitfall Harry

Congratulations to Jeff Arensmeyer, who earlier this morning correctly solved all three Pitfall trivia questions hidden in the Pitfall Map. By submitting his answers 57 minutes ahead of Thomas Jentszch, he claimed First Prize -- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Up until this time, Pitfall Harry's Mystery of the Map contest has been something of a mystery itself. Part of the challenge was for contestants to be a bit like Pitfall Harry and DISCOVER the contest from subtle hints found on the Pitfall Map contest page. This is why the contest has not been officially announced until now.

But it's an officially announced contest now! And although First Prize has now officially been won, Second and Third Prizes are still for the taking. Second Prize is a Crazy Climber cartridge for the Atari 2600.

Please visit the Official Contest Rules page for complete details on how you can win. The contest officially ends on July 11, 2002.

I hope that all who have been reluctant to enter this contest from before will now give it a try. All you have to do is find and answer at least ONE trivia question to be eligibel to win Third Prize. To become eligible to win Second prize, you must answer all three questions correctly. That should be easy now, as the Official Contest Rules page is now loaded up with clues. More clues can be found in the "Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre" topic thread in this forum, if you have the patience to read through it.

Have fun and Good Luck!

Ben

out of curiosity, what were the ways to "discover" the contest?

As far as I know, I was the only person who "discovered" the contest independently. Ben can maybe verify whether or not anyone else became a contestant without seeing the thread on AtariAge.

Anyway, the way I found it was that I had downloaded Ben's map, and I was going to print it. I didn't want a gray background though, so I took it into Photoshop and changed the gray background to white.

After I printed it, I noticed small numbers between the words in Pitfall Harry's tips (which turned out to be the "number question"). I e-mailed Ben and asked if he put the numbers there on purpose. He said he had, but wouldn't tell me why. Then I decided to start playing with the other colors in the graphic and that's when I discovered everything else.

Yep. Scott was the first contestant to discover the hidden contest, and he was the only one to do so unassisted by any clues. The contest has been live since January, and Scott discovered it in late April. No one else discovered the contest until I started dropping hints to its existence at the top of what is now the 500+ mega-thread.

First Prize has been won, but the contest is not over yet. There are 30 days to go, and Crazy Climber is yet to be won. All contestants who answer the three trivia questions of the contest have a chance at winning it. If your wits are sharp and you like a challenge, you should definitely give this contest a shot. You have nothing to lose... except, maybe, a few hours of sleep!

Ben

Ben,

What I'd like to know is, how did you intend for people to discover the contest? I am guessing it would be from the poem on the map web page below the map. All I know is, I spent way too much time that first night tracking down all of the clues on the web site when I really should've just focused on the map! :?

This is how I intended:

"This map I have made is in order

To give somebody something to win."

That should have eventually tipped off somebody that there is more to the map than meets the eye.

Beyond that, I fully expected a day would come when somebody would take the map and do exactly as you did, blow it up and print it out to assist them with the game. I imagined the total sense of wonderment one might get upon discovering the map held secrets -- secrets that lead to untold treasures which may be known to no one else! It would be kind of like exploring a forbidden jungle and becoming the first to discover the entrance to the legendary Lost Caverns. It was my way of offering an intrepid few the opportunity to relive the excitement and adventure of 1982, when the entire world was discovering the magic of Pitfall! for the very first time.

So in a larger sense, Scott, you won.

Ben

So in a larger sense, Scott, you won.

In a larger sense that happens to offer no prizes, of course! :D

Oh well... I really just want attention anyway.

I guess I should be happy though. I did get that sense of wonderment... and I nearly went insane within a 12 hour time period, as well!

I should also mention that I got the map directly from a page on AtariAge.com, so I had not seen Ben's poem not that I would've been attentive enough to "get it" anyway.