IGNORED

The 360 HD-DVD Drive and Sound Lag

slip81

It seems that sound lagging is being reported by quite a bit of the folk over at the AVS Forums when using the new 360 HD-DVD drive for HD movies. So far it seems that the problem is most prominent in Batman Begins with TrueHD sound, but it has also been reported for DD and DD+ using both analog (red and white) and optical connections.

I was thinking about picking this drive up around Christmas but definitely won't if the sound is all wonky. Can anyone here confirm this, or are the AVS people being too picky?

I have noticed sound lag with regular DVD's throughout the years, no matter what I play them on. I really didn't expect HD or BR to not have the problem. I'll pick up the HD add-on soon and I hope it isn't an issue. From what I have been reading it seems to be an issue but I won't worry until I have my own to see (hear?) it first hand (ear?).

The more I keep reading about it, the more it seems to be something that's very hard to pick up on.

I haven't seen the HD-DVD stuff yet. But I'll tell you a secret... shhh... <audio/videophiles are usually insane>

:lol:

they are the same guys that complain about sound quaility from pirated movies :D

• 1 month later...

I finally hooked my HD DVD add on up last weekend and watched 4 movies. King Kong (awful movie), Pitch Black, Chronicles Of Riddick (the 2 reasons I even bought the add on), and Christmas Vacation. I only noticed sound lag in 3 parts of Pitch Black and all 3 were when Jack was speaking. Except for those parts in that movie, I found no lag at all. I did notice some artifacting in some black spots in PB too, when the pilot chick went down in the hole and a few other spots. I think the encoding and conversion are the issues not the drive itself as the other movies were fine.