IGNORED

Oblivion : New Content

moycon

I just noticed this came available a few days ago on marketplace.

for 800 points you can get the latest and biggest Oblivion expansion.

IGN says:

By all appearances, Knights of the Nine is the first truly worthwhile premium download for Oblivion,

The new content opens up dungeons and adds new characters, quests and enemies.

When a disposed King escapes Oblivion, he seeks to take down the Gods. You'll need to heft your sword, find the forgotten relics of the Divine Crusader and return the mysterious "Nine" to power.

I'm snagging it later tonight.

Edited by moycon

I'm playing through it now. Definately the largest addition yet. I love it especially since I also ran across a couple regular quests I had missed and as a result I finally saw the unicorn.

Had to kill the sucker tho to get his horn poor fella.

I'm playing through it now. Definately the largest addition yet. I love it especially since I also ran across a couple regular quests I had missed and as a result I finally saw the unicorn.

Had to kill the sucker tho to get his horn poor fella.

Seriously, don't fuck with unicorns

Anyway, this is the kind of microtransaction I don't mind. When you get a full game like Oblivion, that takes hours and hours to play through, and then for eight bucks you get even more hours out of the game, I think microtransactions are adding to gaming. I mean, $8 isn't much as long as it isn't mandatory just to get a complete game.

By the way, isn't there some kind of weird "no Xbox downloads can exceed the size of the memory card" rule? Isn't this bigger than that?

By the way, isn't there some kind of weird "no Xbox downloads can exceed the size of the memory card" rule? Isn't this bigger than that?

It's 141.89 MB so yes I think it's bigger than any card they offer.

I'm thinking what you're thinking about is Xbox Arcade downloads though, those have to be under a certain size.

I'm thinking what you're thinking about is Xbox Arcade downloads though, those have to be under a certain size.

50MB limit on XBOX Live Arcade Games.

50MB limit on XBOX Live Arcade Games.

Yeah. This is downloadable content so it does not follow this rule. Almost all game trailers exceed that limit (at least the 720p ones do) and many of the game demos do as well.

I finished the NotN tonight. Very cool. It's definately been the best extra contant so far. Some folks have expressed complaints about buying extra content, personally I love it. If you really really enjoy a game, it's a great way to kick a few bucks and get some exciting new content, and it only takes a couple minutes.

I WAS going to get this, but my character that I used for like 8 months got deleted while I made a new one for the first time a couple days ago. I guess they overwrite auto saves when you make a new guy. Just a heads up to anyone who didn't know. But I will give it a go when I get to level four or five. I been playing this a lot lately as well as some D&D games on my 3DO. Can anyone recommend any other First/Third Person Action RPGs like Oblivion?

I WAS going to get this, but my character that I used for like 8 months got deleted while I made a new one for the first time a couple days ago. I guess they overwrite auto saves when you make a new guy. Just a heads up to anyone who didn't know. But I will give it a go when I get to level four or five. I been playing this a lot lately as well as some D&D games on my 3DO. Can anyone recommend any other First/Third Person Action RPGs like Oblivion?

Yeah... Morrowind. IMO it is actually a much deeper game then Obilivion. Don't get me wrong... I love both games in their own way but Morrowind simply has more elements to it then Oblivion does. There are more factions, more diverse landscapes, and a better leveling system. It dosn't look as good as Oblivion but for it's time it was an amazing game graphically and it has held up pretty well I think. Pick up the GOTY edition for XBox or PC. With the whole original game plus 2 full expansion packs the GOTY edition has an incredible amount of content.

Yeah... Morrowind. IMO it is actually a much deeper game then Obilivion. Don't get me wrong... I love both games in their own way but Morrowind simply has more elements to it then Oblivion does. There are more factions, more diverse landscapes, and a better leveling system. It dosn't look as good as Oblivion but for it's time it was an amazing game graphically and it has held up pretty well I think. Pick up the GOTY edition for XBox or PC. With the whole original game plus 2 full expansion packs the GOTY edition has an incredible amount of content.

I actually picked this up a couple nights ago. I like it so far. I'm just used to Oblivion so much. I was also looking into other Elder Scroll games for PC, so I'll pick those up maybe in the near future. I also want to get the PSP game when it comes out even if it mainly focuses on dungeons. I'm also going to get the 2nd edition guide for Oblivion and a guide for Morrowind so I don't miss anything. I can't wait until their next big game, but I'll have my hands full with these.

Morrowind is simply awesome. The GOTY version for the PC, with a handful of the best mods installed, is great, great, great! My suggestions for mods:

1. unofficial patch: fixes tons of bugs not fixed in the official patches

2. Better Bodies: makes the bodies in the world more realistic looking

3. Less Generic NPCs: makes every NPC's dialog unique, making the game much more emersive. This mod is actually a collection of 10 or more mods. Install them all.

4. Morrowind Comes Alive: Adds tons of new NPCs all over the world. Adds bandits in the wilderness, etc.

5. Children of Morrowind: Adds tons of little kids throughout the world. How can a society exist without children?

6. Cyrano's Traveling Merchants: Ever wonder how trade exists between cities in Morrowind? Well this mod adds the backbone of inter-city trade.

7. GhanBuriGhan’s The Regulars: Every wonder why nobody uses the chairs in the taverns? This mod places new NPCs in a few chairs in each tavern.

There are more mods here:

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/realism.htm

• 3 weeks later...

For fans of the ongoing Oblivion content:

January 5, 2007 - British gaming mags PC Gamer and PC Zone have spilled the beans on a new Oblivion expansion titled The Shivering Isles. The new content will let players explore The Isles, which are divided into northern/southern areas titled (not too invitingly) Mania and Dementia, respectively. Players will be able to reach the Shivering Isles through a door on an island that appears in Niben Bay near Bravil.

The expansion will extend Oblivion's gameplay for another 30+ hours, and includes new quests, creatures, and dungeons. One new quest involves solving a mystery in a town on the Mania/Dementia border, where every citizen has a look-a-like. Among the new monsters are the Gatekeeper, a collection of bodyparts that have been stitched together, and the Knights of the Order, made up of tree roots.

Oblivion's first expansion, Knights of the Nine, was released November 22, 2006 for PC and Xbox 360. So far, The Shivering Isles has only been announced for PC, but with a little fairy magic the 360 and upcoming PlayStation 3 versions will get to vacation in the Isles as well. The expansion is currently set for a Q2 2007 release.

30+ freakin hours!!!

Whoa!

For fans of the ongoing Oblivion content:

January 5, 2007 - British gaming mags PC Gamer and PC Zone have spilled the beans on a new Oblivion expansion titled The Shivering Isles. The new content will let players explore The Isles, which are divided into northern/southern areas titled (not too invitingly) Mania and Dementia, respectively. Players will be able to reach the Shivering Isles through a door on an island that appears in Niben Bay near Bravil.

The expansion will extend Oblivion's gameplay for another 30+ hours, and includes new quests, creatures, and dungeons. One new quest involves solving a mystery in a town on the Mania/Dementia border, where every citizen has a look-a-like. Among the new monsters are the Gatekeeper, a collection of bodyparts that have been stitched together, and the Knights of the Order, made up of tree roots.

Oblivion's first expansion, Knights of the Nine, was released November 22, 2006 for PC and Xbox 360. So far, The Shivering Isles has only been announced for PC, but with a little fairy magic the 360 and upcoming PlayStation 3 versions will get to vacation in the Isles as well. The expansion is currently set for a Q2 2007 release.

30+ freakin hours!!!

Whoa!

This is the kind of download content I like. I was considering getting the 2nd Edition Strategy Guide for the game, but I might be better off waiting until a third, or fourth even, edition comes out.

Edited by xenomorpher

This is the kind of download content I like. I was considering getting the 2nd Edition Strategy Guide for the game, but I might be better off waiting until a third, or fourth even, edition comes out.

Just check the online FAQ's on other videogame sites. Most have current walk-throughs even for the new content....and it's free.

I think I only had to use a walkthrough once in Oblivion tho....it was for the quest where you have to gather clues and solve the crime. I didn't know about the paint stains.

I know this is an Oblivion thread....but has anyone checked out Two Worlds???

The similarities are undeniable. I might be interested in that title as soon as the hands on reviews start coming out.

I had to use a faq for the paint stains too. It really made me mad too because that's the only real "stumper" the game gave me. Sure some things made stop and think for a while but those damn paint stains had me swearing at the TV and the wife saying "Just find the answer online already". Can't wait for some more Oblivion content.

Sort of off topic..... If you ever read the Xbox 360 forum's, then you know how fast people fly off the handle over any little thing and threads quickly turn into flame wars. I'm wondering how long it will take for someone to start screaming that they paid for The Wizards Tower and The Thieves Den only to have Bethesda now giving them away for FREE on the newest OXM disk?

LOL.. guess I'll not buy Shivering Isles and wait for it to be given away on next January's OXM.... :D

Mendon

Sort of off topic..... If you ever read the Xbox 360 forum's, then you know how fast people fly off the handle over any little thing and threads quickly turn into flame wars. I'm wondering how long it will take for someone to start screaming that they paid for The Wizards Tower and The Thieves Den only to have Bethesda now giving them away for FREE on the newest OXM disk?

The poor dears. They forget that every early adopter pays a price for being first. They paid five bucks to have that stuff for a year before it was given away. The XBOX 360's price will probably drop by $50 or $100 by xmas 07. Oblivion itself will be a Platinum Hits title at half price by then, too. Boo hoo, that's depreciation and the way things work.

The poor dears. They forget that every early adopter pays a price for being first. They paid five bucks to have that stuff for a year before it was given away. The XBOX 360's price will probably drop by $50 or $100 by xmas 07. Oblivion itself will be a Platinum Hits title at half price by then, too. Boo hoo, that's depreciation and the way things work.

Oh c'mon... you are using too much logic here. Try a little knee-jerk once in awhile. :)

Mendon