So let me get this straight...

* I have to catch a fish

* To lure back a wandering cat

* To make the drunken storeowner happy

* So she'll sell me a slingshot

* So I can go knock a monkey off a rock

* So I can get back the cradle the monkey stole

* To give the pregnant lady her cradle back

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FIGHTING BATTLES AND KILLING STUFF?

Legend of Zelda my ass. More like Legend of Running Errands for Lazy NPC's.

So let me get this straight...

* I have to catch a fish

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FIGHTING BATTLES AND KILLING STUFF?

Legend of Zelda my ass. More like Legend of Running Errands for Lazy NPC's.

You forgot about herding sheep! :D

And you don't need the slingshot to get the cradle as you can use..... nope, won't give away too much plot.

Yep, the first hour or so isn't really exciting stuff. Not much to do except set up the rest of the story. I'm not that far into the game, maybe 3hrs. I just got my first additional sword skill (The Ending Blow) and had a monkey steal my lantern and use up all my lantern oil, which I need to have so that I can burn a spider web blocking my entrance to the next part of my journey. So now I journey backwards quite a bit to aquire more lantern oil before I can continue.

Not exciting stuff at all so far but I do like the story and am enjoying the game. And thankfully I haven't run into any kids with snot hanging out of their nose yet!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Sounds pretty much like a Zelda game to me! Ocarina of Time up through Wind Waker seemed to have a lot of tasks you have to complete between fighting action. You know there will be action to come. You really didn't expect a pure 'hack and slash' did you?

I'm just crossing my fingers that Tingle isn't in this game. I hated paying that bastard all my hard-earned rupees in Wind Waker.

I think the purpose of these errand tasks...is to help the player get used to the controls of the game. And as I recall Ocarina, and Wind Waker had you doing stuff like this pretty often as well.

Once you get the main story going and you get to the twilight zone, it starts to become much more like the Zelda you know and love.

Yes you run errands, but let's not forget that Link is a farmhand. This kind of stuff is what he does. I'd much rather have this gradual hero progression, than the "Now I am an instant hero, time to save the world" scenario. I think it's great that things start slow. It's important to feel like Link in this game - start out mondane like everyone else and end up saving the land. Given the length of this game (I haven't even reached the 3rd temple and I've played for 20 hours) I think the beginning is quite good. Much better than a lot of RPGs I've played where I am reading and watching cinemas for what feels like hours before I get even to battle or explore anything. Since when is Zelda about killing stuff anyway? In my eyes it is always been about exploration and Link's personal growth, both of which are here in spades. :thumbsup:

I'm no huge Zelda fan, as I only ever finished Link's Awakening, never finished one dungeon in the first one, never played Zelda 2, Minish Cap, or the two Oracle games, and only ever played a few minutes of OoT and Majora's Mask. Still, from my limited experience, you really should see that coming when you buy a Zelda game. I remember having to play a "bear claw" game in Link's Awakening to get a Teddy Bear to give a child, that somehow ended up, through several more steps, leading to me getting monkies to build me a bridge in exchange for a banana. In Windwaker, before I gave up, I had to gather up pigs or something. It's tedious, yes. But it sure isn't surprising.

I've said this in another post(s). Wii Zelda SUCKS hard in the first 3-4 hours. I almost gave up on the sheep herding part. :roll: And not to mention the "finding tears" part (there's 3 of those by the way).

But listen to me.. it really really opens up after that. You'll get plenty of what you're looking for believe you me. I thought the game sucked. It opened up. Now I simply think it's epic.

But you also dissed the Oracle games, so there is no point listening to you, sir. :P ;)

Aww come on :D At least I played the things (which is more than a lot of people with opinions on games do :P). I mean, literally multi-hours playing Ages/Seasons from one direction and then the other from scratch

I guess it was just super linear and it's really a distilled epitome of Zelda "get an item, allows access to a new area" idea, but the problem is that's all it is. You're never really left guessing where to go and there's not really any random exploration. The new areas opened up by the items are THE place to go and there's often zero reason to explore anywhere else. It's like it leads you by the hand everywhere. That's what I didnt like about it. At least in the original Zelda GB (I forget the name) it felt much more open. You still had items opening up areas to explore.. but it was all over the map! Stuff like that :)

Oh don't get me wrong guys, I'm not at all surprised by this, I just expected something more... DYNAMIC to really show off the Wiimote. All this stuff I'd heard about how you can fire a bow and arrow with the remote and nunchuk and pull back like you'd actually pull a string, and the idea of slashing the sword and actually hitting enemies instead of just pushing a button, you know it's irritating when they sell you so hard on being Virtual Link and instead you're doing all this tedious crap for NPC's they won't do themselves. Yes Link's a farmhand and yes it's in his nature to be helpful but God damn do these lazy people in the game ever take advantage of it. At one point when the girl told me my horse should get a day off I thought THAT'S BULLSHIT, nobody's giving ME a day off so why does my HORSE get one.

Y'know... having grown up on Infocom text adventures, this:

* I have to catch a fish

Sounds way cool. Hell, in Scott Adam's Adventure International games, the above steps would have been the entire game.

I've said this in another post(s). Wii Zelda SUCKS hard in the first 3-4 hours.

But listen to me.. it really really opens up after that. You'll get plenty of what you're looking for believe you me. I thought the game sucked. It opened up. Now I simply think it's epic.

FOUR HOURS of shitty intro?

*scratches Twilight Princess off list*

I don't care HOW good the rest of the game is. I'm not wading through 4 hours of torture for it.

Japan needs to get over this whole "You must suffer before you can enjoy our labor" thing. Star Ocean 2's half-hour intro period was bad enough. The fact that things have gone DOWNHILL from there is appalling.

This makes me sad. Sounds like Zelda has evolved into an RPG. I guess that's why I haven't enjoyed the modern ones as much. Zelda used to be pick up and play. It didn't need a long winded story or a multi-hour tutorial. Haven't played this one, but from what people are writing the game design sounds disappointing. The old action-adventure niche was lots of fun. Modern game designers try to control things too much.

I got imprisoned in the first town in OOT. That got old fast.

Zelda 3 controlled the player's movement more than I'd have liked, but it was still probably the most fun of the series. The storytelling was reasonable.

Zelda 1 was wide open to explore and nobody could nag you with more than 5 words. Loved it.

Edited by gdement

I finished the game yesterday and I love it. This is the best paced Zelda ever. Yes, I even think the beginning is paced nicely too. *Should* take you around 1-2 hours to complete the "tutorials." Have fun with it. These are puzzles guys. They're supposed to test your patience. And as we all know, Zelda is full of em.

I finished the game around 40 hours. I played by doing one dungeon a day after I come from work. So It took me about a week and a half to complete. Mind you, I didn't do the bulk of the side quests which I heard there are many.

Greatest Zelda ever? Idk yet. But its really up there. To all the fans that cried about windwaker and Majora's Mask, Nintendo will shut you up with Twilight Princess. Ocarina fans will especially love this because Nintendo brings back a few landmarks to TP. But don't think this is Nintendo being safe here. They try out ALOT of new things for the game. The Boss Battles are just too fun, clever, and pretty original IMO.

I like to quote someone: This is Nintendo's love letter to all Zelda fans!

I finished the game yesterday and I love it. This is the best paced Zelda ever. Yes, I even think the beginning is paced nicely too. *Should* take you around 1-2 hours to complete the "tutorials." Have fun with it. These are puzzles guys. They're supposed to test your patience. And as we all know, Zelda is full of em.

I finished the game around 40 hours. I played by doing one dungeon a day after I come from work. So It took me about a week and a half to complete. Mind you, I didn't do the bulk of the side quests which I heard there are many.

Greatest Zelda ever? Idk yet. But its really up there. To all the fans that cried about windwaker and Majora's Mask, Nintendo will shut you up with Twilight Princess. Ocarina fans will especially love this because Nintendo brings back a few landmarks to TP. But don't think this is Nintendo being safe here. They try out ALOT of new things for the game. The Boss Battles are just too fun, clever, and pretty original IMO.

I like to quote someone: This is Nintendo's love letter to all Zelda fans!

That's great news, now if I could only get my hands on a damn console without hassle.

Yeah... well I'm almost at the third dungeon and I've kicked a lot of ass...

You run small errands to get used to the controls and the story. I normally don't care about story, but this game is the exception. Who cares what you do from here to there, it's all about the dungeons. You'll have to have your asskicking boots on for them. The Goron Mines dungeon is one of the best times I've ever had playing a video game. It's not as though the first few hours are tedious, they're not. I know I wouldn't want to be where I am now without those first hours. Who knows, if you don't use the slingshot to get that monkey you may learn something that you wouldn't have known if you never ran the errands. ;)

It sounds like Zelda is still... Zelda...

This is the way it is in just about all Zelda games. You'll get going soon enough, no worries.

Sad to see people crossing it off because it isn't instant gratification. =/

I play games to have fun, not to be tortured with boredom while taunted with the promise of future fun.

An hour is my max "bullshit intro" length.

This is the way it is in just about all Zelda games. You'll get going soon enough, no worries.

I play games to have fun, not to be tortured with boredom while taunted with the promise of future fun.

I dunno.. how is that different from a lot of the RPG's you've said you liked in the past? :P I say Zelda in the beginning sucks.. and that's just me. But really, it's like most anything epic. Starts out small, turns out big :)

I see...

I'd get Trauma Center if I were you. That game is awesome! And awesomely hard... At least the DS version is.