IGNORED

Rampart - GBA version vs. Lynx version

skylarking

I have this game on a '2-on-1' cartridge for Game Boy Advance (coupled with Gauntlet), so when I saw the Lynx version in an online auction, I was hesitant to buy it as I already had a handheld version. Thankfully I did get it, as despite being about 15 years older, the Lynx version is MUCH better than the GBA version. The GBA version has sharper graphics (because of the GBA's higher resolution) and more speech, but lacks the animations and cut scenes of the Lynx version, and the Lynx version just seems to play better and has a certain 'something' that the GBA version lacks.

Let me tell you about the GBA version...

NOt all the ships in any given level appear on screen...

You can't kill the troops by surrounding them with castle walls.

Acquiring additional castles does NOT gain you extra cannons to place. Four on the first wave, two every wave afterwards.

Looks good, plays like crap.

Rampart was one of the games on those mediocre DSI collections, wasn't it? Yeah, I would definitely not expect much from it. It's not really fair to compare the Lynx and GBA games. After all, Rampart was a full-priced release on the Lynx, produced by what was at the time a major console manufacturer. Rampart on the Game Boy Advance was slapped together by D-grade developers for half of a budget release.

JR

Rampart was one of the games on those mediocre DSI collections, wasn't it? Yeah, I would definitely not expect much from it. It's not really fair to compare the Lynx and GBA games. After all, Rampart was a full-priced release on the Lynx, produced by what was at the time a major console manufacturer. Rampart on the Game Boy Advance was slapped together by D-grade developers for half of a budget release.

JR

BUt they got Klax right on the GBA. Why couldn't they get Rampart right? Afterall, its pretty much just missing a few ruls.

I'd like to see rampart on the DS, and use the stylus to target the cannons...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ Agreed. The Lynx version is (amazingly) the best home version.

BTW, did you notice how they "borrowed" the graphics from the Lynx version to make the GBA one?

Lynx version

rampart_title.gif

GBA version

gb_rampart.gif

In the above screen, you can see the Susan G. McBride logo converted into white (it's supposed to flash but stopped working. Looks like a "C" with a cross in the middle.) It's on practically every Lynx Rampart screen, so you know that this GBA title screen belongs to her. I wonder if they paid for it, or just stole it outright?

Edited by Gregory DG

I think Rampart on the Lynx may be the best home version.

I agree, the Lynx version of Rampart is the best version outside of the arcade...and by that I mean the actual arcade machine. Even emulations of the arcade game have fallen short, mainly in the control department.

BTW, did you notice how they "borrowed" the graphics from the Lynx version to make the GBA one?

Lynx version

rampart_title.gif

GBA version

gb_rampart.gif

I haven't played the GBA version, but what you labeled as the GBA version appears to be the GBC version title screen. Are you sure you're not confusing the GBC and GBA here?

The GBC version is pretty good for what it is, considering the limitations of the hardware. Of course, the Lynx version is much better.

In the above screen, you can see the Susan G. McBride logo converted into white (it's supposed to flash but stopped working. Looks like a "C" with a cross in the middle.) It's on practically every Lynx Rampart screen, so you know that this GBA title screen belongs to her. I wonder if they paid for it, or just stole it outright?

I don't know for sure, but the manual for the GBC game has the credits on page 13, and her name is not mentioned.

I haven't played the GBA version, but what you labeled as the GBA version appears to be the GBC version title screen. Are you sure you're not confusing the GBC and GBA here?

You're right, it is te GBC version. I had forgotten they even made one!

Anyway, now I want to check the GBA version for stolen graphics!