IGNORED

ATARI Controller PCB , is it actually required?

ProperRogue

I was wondering if anyone's ever tried converting an MS Sidewinder GamePad for use on the Atari 7800? After using the sidewinder for so long , no other controller feels right , much less gives me a good game.

I have a page bookmarked from long ago , that talked of hacking a sidewinder for use in a MAME cab, so as far as opening one up , and looking at the solder points , this is by far , the easy part.

Even then , what about hacking cord to cord , assuming of course , the pinouts are matched up? I was also planning to make an arcade controller for the 7800 using an old cocktail control panel. This however , would involve almost no guess work, and pretty much cut & dry , with exception of making a cool overlay for the CP using some nice Atari graphics.

Anyone with me, or is my quest for the perfect controller just a pipedream? :ponder:

I've tried those 7800 gamepads , but something's just not right with them. Leaving me to return to the 2600 joys , or 7800 prostick.

So I'm looking at the pinout for a 7800 controller , as well as a PCB/cable attachment from a stripped CX-24. My question is this:

1. Does the ATARI7800 PCB itself actually contain the movement instructions , and the controller pcb is only a bridge between the stick/buttons and the internal 7800 board?

2. OR , without the controller PCB simply wiring the connection cable would do nothing as far as movement goes?

I'm asking because according to the pinout info of the 7800 connector , the directions/button info, as well as the ground is all there , just waiting to be attached to a better controller.

Do you really need the cx-24 pcb for a mod?

Thanks.

Edited by ProperRogue

Anyone with me, or is my quest for the perfect controller just a pipedream? :ponder:

Arcade controller you say? ;)

Nice! :D Very Nice!

As far as the arcade panel goes , I was thinking something on the lines of what I've posted below. It will most definitely NOT be an x-arcade control panel, but look rather similar in style and control wise.

I have a smaller panel from an old cocktail machine , that I plan on modding. I was thinking of doing a joystick/spinner setup, and use a y-cable as a splitter. One side being the joystick/button(s) and the other, consisting of a paddle hack. Making of course, 2 controllers, in one nice little setup. :)

That was just one idea , the other , I'd really like to try doing something with one of the many sidewinders I have sitting around here. I've already hacked a few using the gameport/arcade hack which you can see in most MAME cabinets. I only did this, as for a few project cabs, most people wanted a poor-man's MAME, and didn't want to spend good coin on a JPAC or IPAC. Anyways , I know the sidewinder, inside and out.

Now , if only I could interface that with the 7800. :D Problem is , I haven't even really done the blueprint for it , or even considered the possibilities. I've only daydreamed about the sidewinder hack thus far. I just need to take the plunge , I suppose. :cool:

As for your hack though , that's awesome! :thumbsup: Sort of reminds me of those little Jakk's Handheld mods we've hacked to use real arcade panels. Only drawback is the lack of spinner for Pole Position. :sad: